This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

My Current Focus: HBP/PE2

Started by Nash, February 20, 2015 · 434 Replies · 25,461 Views

Jason Dupree

I hit 5x15 for the first time today! Granted, the last set was a huge grind and there were many long pauses, but I never came down or anything. Not there yet, but stoked. See you at the finish Nash :)

PS: I know what you'll say, my mastery sets will be videoed when I get there :P

Nash
Jason Dupree said:

I hit 5x15 for the first time today! Granted, the last set was a huge grind and there were many long pauses, but I never came down or anything. Not there yet, but stoked. See you at the finish Nash :)

PS: I know what you'll say, my mastery sets will be videoed when I get there :P

He he he. Congrats Jason!

 

What's your current F7 schedule?

 

 

-Nash

Jason Dupree

F7 Monday and Thursday

H1 Tuesday and Friday

Stretch T,F,sat

I was doing AB split 3x a week, but I'm loving F7 2x. More volume and more recovery.

Nash
Jason Dupree said:

F7 Monday and Thursday

H1 Tuesday and Friday

Stretch T,F,sat

I was doing AB split 3x a week, but I'm loving F7 2x. More volume and more recovery.

Beast.  :icon_twisted:  :icon_twisted:  :icon_twisted:

Jason Dupree

I got 5x15 my second workout, still with way too much effort and pauses. I'm feeling much stronger. One more month.

argle

I'm rooting for you guys!  I'm at 12/12/10/10/10.  I can't believe how hard properly executed push ups are.  Granted a lot of the extra tiredness for me comes from the Xiaopengs.  I feel like such a weakling from this PE.

Nick Roy

Yea, the pushups are not hard. I could knockout just 75 pushups, but I use a 10 pound weight for xoapengs, that's what tires me out. But my shoulders love them.

Nash
Rescheduled F(b) to Wednesdays as I moved things around my full schedule.

 

Today: 15r, 14r, 14r, 14r, 14r

 

Total Reps: 71

 

Notes:

- Keeping more accurate pausing record to track progress better for motivation as I approach 75.

- Set 3 was easier that last time. 1 breath (0.5s) pause at rep 12. Should be gone next time.

- Set 4: pause at rep 9 for 2 breaths. Then another 2 breath pause at rep 12.

- Set 5: pause at rep 7. Pause at rep 10. Pauses at rep 12, 13 and 14.

Nash
Today: 15r, 15r, 14r, 14r, 14r

 

Total Reps: 72

 

Notes:

- Set 3: no more pauses!

- Set 4: pause at rep 10 for 2 breaths. Then another 2 breath pause at rep 12.

- Set 5: pause at rep 7. Pauses at each rep from 10 to 14. Yikes!

Mark Collins

You are so close.

Jason Dupree

https://youtu.be/c6bgX6_6cEk

5x15! Video of last set. No pauses. Did a 16th on the last set, which I failed, so it's 100% effort. This was not my best form, but perhaps good enough to move on? I'm very happy with the progress but I'd rather not do another month if I don't have to.

Nash

Nice! Solid reps.

 

I'm personally counting the tempo changes in your video as pauses. At rep 6 I'm counting that as a 2 breath pause. Same for reps 8, 11, 13 and 14 (3 breath pause).

 

I might be overdoing it. Curious to see what the coaches think.

 

* I've been traveling for a work project and doing 3x20 to maintain strength. Back to routine updates next week.

 

 

-Nash

Daniel Taylor-Shaut
Jason Dupree said:

https://youtu.be/c6bgX6_6cEk

5x15! Video of last set. No pauses. Did a 16th on the last set, which I failed, so it's 100% effort. This was not my best form, but perhaps good enough to move on? I'm very happy with the progress but I'd rather not do another month if I don't have to.

I say do another month.

 

The margin of error between being unsure and wanting to move on, versus being so damned certain that there's not even a shadow of a doubt about your competency at the element will likely help down the road as the latter situation will  much better demonstrate 'mastery'. At least, this is my understanding of it. On an element that proves this difficult for you, I would say the extra month could be worthwhile. I spent almost a year on SL/PE2 (amongst various other elements), and the time I have spent making those elements more perfect has only helped and not hurt. If the element were an easy breeze (which in my case was SLS/PE1 and HBP/PE1), then I wouldn't take the extra month, but you be the judge. 

Jason Dupree

I'm worried about mental burn out. While I feel it's not 100% mastered, maybe 95%, I don't feel like I need a full month more on it. I'm thinking of starting back on week 11 after deload, to solidify, then moving on if good.

Nash

Jason,

 

I found that writing down the number of pauses and squashing at least one of them the following week removed the mental burnout aspect. I pretty much do this with every workout now. You can stay at Week 11 until they're all gone.

 

Feel free to log your workouts here.

 

 

-Nash

Ravn

Daniel, some elements you just never reach that 'easy' feeling. IMO, it should look easy, not feel easy. If that's your criterion, you'll be stuck on many elements for years on end.

~Atticus

You just touched upon a very important point. With which I agree, with only one caveat: the first couple of sets should feel relatively benign but the remaining sets should tax you quite a bit.

 

Take push ups for instance. If you've truly mastered them, the first 3 sets shouldn't be very difficult. The last two sets should tax you quite a bit, but not enough to prevent you from completing the required reps.

 

In other words, aiming to have an "easy" feeling in the last two sets of the very difficult pushing and pulling exercises might not be a wise idea. But it should look easy to an onlooker.

 

Case in point: the videos of F1 for the most part look easy to anyone that has not started the foundation series. Only when he/she begins doing it does he/she realize how difficult many of the exercises are.

trw

That's all well and good, but let's not get lost in subjective details here. Mastery is simply performing a certain standard of sets and reps/seconds with good form and tempo. Can you do that? If yes, move on. Are you grinding the last reps or taking extended pauses mid-set? Than work on it some more.

 

Because particularly in some of the positions that require 60 second holds the first three sets can feel difficult for me. But the point is I can hold it, and I can keep holding it when it gets really difficult, and if I can still hold it when it feels like torture in the last set, then I've mastered the position. Nowhere does it say the first three sets should be easy.

Jon Douglas

Guys, there are days when pushups feel heavy. Then there are days that hspu feel light. Record your sets and compare apples to apples :) take it from someone who learned the lesson hard.

Mark Collins

I would move on to the next beast PPP. You will find these will help your push ups a great deal and they will start to feel like nothing.

Nash
 

Today: 15r, 15r, 15r, 14r, 14

 

Total Reps: 73

 

Notes:

- Between a cold and travel, I've been trying to maintain by doing 20x3 a few times a week. Back on track next week.

- Set 3: last rep shaky.

- Set 4: pauses (2-3 breathes) at 7, 9, 11 and 13

- Set 5: pauses at 5, 7, 9-14
argle

Wow man you are so close.  I'm thinking about sprinkling in some PPP here and there to increase strength for the regular pushups.

 

Question - I've been using an 8.5 lb weight for the Xiaopengs for most of the time I've been on PE2.  Is it worth setting myself back on the pushups by going to a higher weight, or should I just stay on this weight and focus on improving my pushups?

traweaver

I have found this thread so interesting and the discussion of how to work through reps. Could you please comment on this video of today's work. I have recently started the program and in all areas I don't give up on reps unless form breaks. My tempo slows to grind out the last few reps (I am currently on week 8 working the rep scheme of 5x9r.) but push to meet the goal for the week. Hoping to get a thumbs up!!

https://youtu.be/MkpaFUpseY8

Ryan Bailey

Traweaver - kickin ass. Keep it up, great work!

I`m commenting as someone else working on these, so others might give you better, detailed feedback.

Argle - I`m using similar weight for the iM as you and was just thinking the same question during yestrday's workout. My initial thought was to try and get through these push ups ASAP, then push iM weight later, but I don`t know.

Keegan

Traweaver, welcome to the forum.

Keep pushing hard, I too keep pushing till technical failure and it has been working well.

You need more ROM in your push-ups (your chest must actually touch the floor on every rep to count) and you need to keep your hips a little more extended (currently your hips are slightly flexed resulting in them staying elevated while your upper body lowers).

I would suggest starting a thread in the "Form Checks" section so people can give you more specific advice.