This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

My Current Focus: HBP/PE2

Started by Nash, February 20, 2015 · 434 Replies · 25,461 Views

traweaver

Thanks Ryan and Keegan!! I am working hard and am completely humbled by this program in my first few weeks! I have a love/hate relationship with coach sommer (and now all of his athletes and coaches) extreme attention to form and details.

Thank you for your critique. I have me side by side with a still shot of the movement video. I am hoping that maybe if I turn my neck up... Maybe my hips will come down. Haha I have been going to lowest point i could until I would hit my nose. I figured turning my head to the side but thought I should be keeping my head "neutral" and not arched up. But it looks like that is not so.

thanks again and will see you guys around the forum.

:-) Tracey

post-20614-0-51855600-1454808277_thumb.j

Keegan

Personally I prefer to "pack" my neck rather than to "arch it/look up. Your hips being up though won't really be effected that much by changing your head position. What you need to do is to "tuck" your hips "under" (contract your Glutes and Posterior Pelvic Tilt to extend your hips/flatten your lumbar spine).

traweaver

"What you need to do is to "tuck" your hips "under" (contract your Glutes and Posterior Pelvic Tilt to extend your hips/flatten your lumbar spine)."

 

This is great advice! I have had issues with this in many instances and I am working to get that area stronger to better my overall posture.  I know it is from the low back surgery I had many years ago!  

 

Why all of a sudden to I feel like working on my push ups again! haha  I will wait until my next training day!

Nash

Today: 15r, 15r, 15r, 15r, 14r

Total Reps: 74

Notes:

- Sets 1-3: solid form.

- Set 4: 4 pauses. At 10, 12, 13, and 14.

- Set 5: pauses at reps 9-14

- I should hit 75 next week, then I'll probably need a few weeks to squash the dang pauses.

Nash Kabbara

Had to do the workout today since I'm not going to be able to on Wednesday.

Today: 15r, 15r, 15r, 15r, 15r

Total Reps: 75!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Notes:

- Sets 1-3: solid form.

- Set 4: 2 pauses. At 12  and 14. So close to solid.

- Set 5: 3 pauses. At rep 10, 12 and 14

- So close! At 75 now plus ironed out a few pauses from set 4 and and set 5!!!

Arthur Wong

Glad to see you pretty much have it. It's been a long journey my friend, your persistence is admirable. 

Mark Collins

Awesome. Persistence pays off. I am sure this has strengthened your character in everyday life as well.

Christian Nogueira

You've reached the most important milestone which is having your brain knowing your body can do it. 

Kate Abernethy

For a moment I wondered who was hijacking Nash's thread with 5 x 15 = 75r, then I realised it was you with your full real name :):facepalm:

Well done on reaching the peak, your persistence has paid off. Good luck with the next one :)

Adam Kirby

man that's great.  I'm looking forward to the day I'm at your level.

William Marler

Great persistence Nash! Woo!

Nash Kabbara

Thank you all for the kind words! Not there yet. I still got 5 pauses to conquer! :D

Nash Kabbara

Today: 15r, 15r, 15r, 15r, 15r

Total Reps: 75

Notes:

- Sets 1-3: solid form.

- Set 4: No pauses, but last rep a bit shaky.

- Set 5: 4 pauses. At rep 9, 11, 13 and 14

Blair Norwood

Going really well.

Since what your currently doing is working I'm hesitant to suggest doing anything other that your current program but something I used to do after my 5 sets was to do a 6th set of as many reps as I could comfortably do which was generally only 5 or so.

I think the issue for me was the metabolic component of 75 reps in such a short space of time so by adding extra reps to that maximum metabolic load in my muscles helps a little to adapt. 

Adam Kirby
10 hours ago, Blair Norwood said:

Going really well.

Since what your currently doing is working I'm hesitant to suggest doing anything other that your current program but something I used to do after my 5 sets was to do a 6th set of as many reps as I could comfortably do which was generally only 5 or so.

I think the issue for me was the metabolic component of 75 reps in such a short space of time so by adding extra reps to that maximum metabolic load in my muscles helps a little to adapt. 

That's a good idea, I'll have to try it.  I'm finding it really hard to break past 5x13... I just don't have the endurance.

Nash Kabbara

I hope this posts in the right thread. Last time it posted somewhere else.

Today: 15r, 15r, 15r, 15r, 15r

Total Reps: 75

Notes:

- Sets 1-3: solid form.

- Set 4: 2 pauses: 13 and 14.

- Set 5: 3 pauses. At rep 11, 13 and 14
 

 

William Marler

Nice work Nash! I think it's time for a mastery check video. See what the coaches think about your pauses -- you know, just in case you're being too hard on yourself.

Nash Kabbara

Today: 15r, 15r, 15r, 15r, 15r

Total Reps: 75

Notes:

- Sets 1-4: solid form.

- Set 5: 2 pauses.

Video showing last set with 2 pauses (ignore sound, host came in when I started).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCFQ6tYGGjY
 

Mark Collins

They are not long pauses. I would move on unless Coach or Zach is not happy with those pauses.

Christian Nogueira

Congratulations Nash !!!!

Keilani Gutierrez
31 minutes ago, Zach Armijo said:

You will have a larger mountain to climb in PE3 that is worth nit picking over. 

so true. <_<

William Marler

Great work Nash! Outstanding!

Mark Collins

Well done Nash. Great persistence.

Xabier Errea Mayo

Congrats Nash! Talking about the PE3...I was given green light to count PE2 good but I'm finding PE3 EXTREMELY hard...like I can only do 5 sets of 1-2 reps maximum...Is it that normal?any way to escalate this? 

I've been thinking even to retry PE2 to see if it was good enough but I am pretty sure it was..

Christian Nogueira
1 hour ago, Xabier Errea Mayo said:

Congrats Nash! Talking about the PE3...I was given green light to count PE2 good but I'm finding PE3 EXTREMELY hard...like I can only do 5 sets of 1-2 reps maximum...Is it that normal?any way to escalate this? 

I've been thinking even to retry PE2 to see if it was good enough but I am pretty sure it was..

This usually means that you are in the building strength stage. Keep at it, maybe reduce the lean a bit to make it easier to build some volume (but always thinking of building the required lean) and when in doubt post a form check of HBP/PE3. HBP/PE3 will also depend a lot on how good you are with sPL/PE5.