Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Floor maltese/Elbow hyperextension

DentonConteh

Ive been practicing floor Maltese for a couple of months and I am noticing that my elbows are beginning to hyper-extend, I have seen many gymnasts and calisthenics athletes who do maltese with crazy hyperextended elbows so it must be normal right?, I am not sure if its a good or bad thing though. 

Here is me doing a maltese and as I get lower my elbows begin to hyperextend, I do not get any pains at the moment. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jk-3RTq6urs&feature=youtu.be

• Upvote 1

Alessandro Mainente

skills where Elbows are hyperextended must be avoided if there is a lack of joints preparation. I do not know you past training but if you are not a well trained gymnast or you've not attended a seminar or foundations courses there is a low probability to have prepared joints.

so my personal pov is that hyperextension is not a probem but it must be evaluated in the current context.

• Upvote 2

It's normal if that is the person's natural elbow ROM. It's not normal if your elbows didn't hyperextended before, but did after an injury. For your case, it may be because you gained some more elbow mobility which let you reach your true natural elbow range of hyperextension.

I don't really see any hyperextension in your video. You should record another video with a view more from the side to get more clarity. I've also seen your planches in your other videos and they didn't look locked out to me. It looks like you kept a very slight bend in the elbows.

• Upvote 1

skills where Elbows are hyperextended must be avoided if there is a lack of joints preparation. I do not know you past training but if you are not a well trained gymnast or you've not attended a seminar or foundations courses there is a low probability to have prepared joints.

so my personal pov is that hyperextension is not a probem but it must be evaluated in the current context.

Thank you for your reply, as long as this is not a problem thats all I needed to know

It's normal if that is the person's natural elbow ROM. It's not normal if your elbows didn't hyperextended before, but did after an injury. For your case, it may be because you gained some more elbow mobility which let you reach your true natural elbow range of hyperextension.

I don't really see any hyperextension in your video. You should record another video with a view more from the side to get more clarity. I've also seen your planches in your other videos and they didn't look locked out to me. It looks like you kept a very slight bend in the elbows.

Thank you for your response, yes you are correct the planches shown on my youtube are not locked out, however those videos are months old and I mostly post on my fb and insta, I have been focusing a lot on locking out for the past couple of months, here is a vid of my most recent full planche, decent form with locked arms https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=833498333340220&set=vb.100000401834123&type=2&theater

Edited by DentonConteh

Ivan Pavlovic

Not locked. If you try to do planche with locked elbows now i think that your elbow will pop off becouse it is not strong enough to hold whole weight becouse you never did planches with locked elbows, at least as i know. So dont try it if you dont want to get injured.

Edited by Paf

Not locked. If you try to do planche with locked elbows now i think that your elbow will pop off becouse it is not strong enough to hold whole weight becouse you never did planches with locked elbows, at least as i know. So dont try it if you dont want to get injured.

That is me fully locked. I am straightening my arms as far as they can possibly go my friend

Edited by DentonConteh

Thank you for your response, yes you are correct the planches shown on my youtube are not locked out, however those videos are months old and I mostly post on my fb and insta, I have been focusing a lot on locking out for the past couple of months, here is a vid of my most recent full planche, decent form with locked arms https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=833498333340220&set=vb.100000401834123&type=2&theater

It still looks slightly bent compared to what your elbows looked like in the later part of your straddle maltese which looked 180 degree straight there. Do you start your holds with slightly bent arms first then you try to straighten it out or do you try to lock your arms first before going into your holds? 

Your elbows should look the same regardless of if they are in the planche or maltese when locked out at least in my experience and some others. I'm not sure if it might be different for some people though. 

I would say his elbows are able to handle the stress of a planche with locked arms since his elbows didn't snap in that straddle maltese video. The stress on the elbows is far greater in the maltese than the planche.

It still looks slightly bent compared to what your elbows looked like in the later part of your straddle maltese which looked 180 degree straight there. Do you start your holds with slightly bent arms first then you try to straighten it out or do you try to lock your arms first before going into your holds? 

Your elbows should look the same regardless of if they are in the planche or maltese when locked out at least in my experience and some others. I'm not sure if it might be different for some people though. 

When I start full planche on the ground I make sure my arms are straight and locked out before I even go up, and I notice with some people when they do a maltese their elbows look way more hyperextended than when they do planche, like you said its because there is a lot more stress on the elbows whilst doing a maltese.

Edited by DentonConteh

That's good. Can you show me videos or photos of the people that extend more in the maltese than other straight arm exercises? Mines look the same for all straight arm exercises. I can show you mines if you want.

That's good. Can you show me videos or photos of the people that extend more in the maltese than other straight arm exercises? Mines look the same for all straight arm exercises. I can show you mines if you want.

yeah man Id like to see that :) and yeah I see quite a few people in the street workout community Dmitry Kuznetsov the vid i put  of him he does planches, levers and maltese's in this, strong guy

the hyperextension is crazy at 2:45, his elbows do not extend that much on his planches and other holds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWg3AeW0zKE

Edited by DentonConteh

yeah man Id like to see that :) and yeah I see quite a few people in the street workout community Dmitry Kuznetsov the vid i put  of him he does planches, levers and maltese's in this, strong guy

the hyperextension is crazy at 2:45, his elbows do not extend that much on his planches and other holds

His elbow hyperextension looks pretty much the same to me in both his planches and malteses. You can see it more clearly in the 2 clips where he lowers to maltese from planche. Only his parallel bars planches don't look as hyperextended as the others, but maybe that's due to different grip.

Here is my comparison video:

His elbow hyperextension looks pretty much the same to me in both his planches and malteses. You can see it more clearly in the 2 clips where he lowers to maltese from planche. Only his parallel bars planches don't look as hyperextended as the others, but maybe that's due to different grip.

Here is my comparison video:

Nice, your elbows look more hyperextended in your maltese than your planche tho especially as you get lower, your forearms are touching the ground. Btw are you a gymnast, how long have you been training such movements

Edited by DentonConteh

Nice, your elbows look more hyperextended in your maltese than your planche tho especially as you get lower, your forearms are touching the ground. Btw are you a gymnast, how long have you been training such movements

Thanks! I think it's really hard to tell the difference in the elbows if you pause at 0:04 and look at my right arm and compare it to my arms in the maltese. Visually imagine a straight line in the middle of my forearm and a straight line in the middle of my upper arm.

I'm not a gymnast and I've been training GST on and off for 4 years.

Thanks! I think it's really hard to tell the difference in the elbows if you pause at 0:04 and look at my right arm and compare it to my arms in the maltese. Visually imagine a straight line in the middle of my forearm and a straight line in the middle of my upper arm.

I'm not a gymnast and I've been training GST on and off for 4 years.

I think i know what you mean & nice man

Ryan Hutchins

Good Job man! No matter what there is to be said you are definitely putting in consitent hard work at attaining a planche. Keep it up and never stop until you can do it one handed. That being said:

The elbows didn't bother me as much as the body position did. Your shoulders don't appear to be pushing forward in the video. It could be the shirt. Your hips had definite pike in them greater than 15 degrees. This drastically reduces the strain of the position. Maybe you are strong enought to take care of this by looking in a mirror and making the necessary adjustments. Full Planche or any straight body gymnastic holds are all straight body holds. The only body shape difference is in the shoulders being either protracted (pressing forward) or retracted (Pulling back). Check the old school image from the link below. If a mirror doesn't help you or is too hard to look at you can use a block, start from straddle planche, and then close your legs over the block to ensure no piking.

http://bit.ly/1xbcXIw

With the shoulders i won't be able to tell 100% unless you post a picture or vid of you doing it shirtless or in a lighter color. As always tho... Keep up the work man! Its never done.

• Upvote 1

Good Job man! No matter what there is to be said you are definitely putting in consitent hard work at attaining a planche. Keep it up and never stop until you can do it one handed. That being said:

The elbows didn't bother me as much as the body position did. Your shoulders don't appear to be pushing forward in the video. It could be the shirt. Your hips had definite pike in them greater than 15 degrees. This drastically reduces the strain of the position. Maybe you are strong enought to take care of this by looking in a mirror and making the necessary adjustments. Full Planche or any straight body gymnastic holds are all straight body holds. The only body shape difference is in the shoulders being either protracted (pressing forward) or retracted (Pulling back). Check the old school image from the link below. If a mirror doesn't help you or is too hard to look at you can use a block, start from straddle planche, and then close your legs over the block to ensure no piking.

http://bit.ly/1xbcXIw

With the shoulders i won't be able to tell 100% unless you post a picture or vid of you doing it shirtless or in a lighter color. As always tho... Keep up the work man! Its never done.

Thanks man, and you are correct, I can planche a lot better than what i did in That vid, the hips bothered me a lot aswell. when i get to see myself i can fix it easily however when i dont, to me it feels right but when i see a vid of it after i see that i tend to pike a bit. so i need to fix this problem by myself without looking in the mirror

• Upvote 1

Ryan Hutchins

Oh... and elbow hyperextension is fine. It comes with the territory. As long as you aren't getting pain and you are prepared for the rigors of advanced floor strength you are ok.

Just saw you on YouTube. Yeah you're good. I Get that extension sorted out and you'll be looking impressive to street people and gymnasts.

• Upvote 1

Oh... and elbow hyperextension is fine. It comes with the territory. As long as you aren't getting pain and you are prepared for the rigors of advanced floor strength you are ok.

Just saw you on YouTube. Yeah you're good. I Get that extension sorted out and you'll be looking impressive to street people and gymnasts.

Alright man, thanks for sticking with the whole point of the topic haha,

Thanks for the kind words, will definitely fix this