This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

New York City

Started by IcedDante, July 7, 2014 · 112 Replies · 12,930 Views

Dorian Brown
On 8/9/2016 at 4:56 PM, Nick Ebner said:

Since it is supposed to rain all this weekend, lets aim for Saturday 20th at 1/1:30pm. Let's meet at Tompkins Square Park at 10th St & Avenue B where the bars are. 

If by chance it ends up being rainy on this day, I can possibly have us meet at Complete Body & Spa on 19th St as back up. We won't have stall bars or P-Bars there but we can make do.

Let me know who plans to attend so I know how to prepare for everyone. BRING WATER, a yoga matt if you want one and a towel for sure. I may have a friend who is interested in doing some GST videography/photography come as well.

 I just want to confirm that we are still planning to meet up and at the park around 1/1:30pm tomorrow?

Nick Ebner

yep. btwn 1 and 1:30. I suggest bringing a yoga matt, maybe some yoga blocks if you have them (not necessary), a towel and plenty of water.  See you there.

Dorian Brown

Awesome see you there. 

Carolyn Liou

Hey all, I'm new to the post and would like to join the next GST training - any dates for the next meetings? thanks!

Dorian Brown

Idk about the next one but today was awesome. Thanks again Nick for setting it up.

Nick Ebner

Thanks Dorian, it was a blast. Paul Watson and I have already started discussing doing the next meet-up the second weekend in October at his place (Transform Fitness) which is on 58th & Lex. 

David Rosenberg

Hey - Just looking for an update in the stall bar situation in Manhattan. Reviewing the thread, seems like there's Solace Crossfit and Transform Fitness. Any other places? Thanks!

Nick Ebner

not that I know of. I'm going to talk to the new gym manager at Complete Body about building them later this week, but based on the area I want to the build them, it will be too narrow for straddle work.

Jin Liu

The Columbus Park in downtown has something that resembles a stall bar. The differences are that there's no offset bar on top, the bars are thicker, and the space between each bar is wider than a real stall bar. Nevertheless, a nice alternative and works for many exercises. And it's free.

 

20603593.jpg

Daniel Taylor-Shaut
7 hours ago, Jin Liu said:

The Columbus Park in downtown has something that resembles a stall bar. The differences are that there's no offset bar on top, the bars are thicker, and the space between each bar is wider than a real stall bar. Nevertheless, a nice alternative and works for many exercises. And it's free.

 

20603593.jpg

It's also November...ain't no way i'm dealing with winds from either the East or Hudson River lol.  But thankful for this tip come Spring time.

David Rosenberg

Thanks @Jin Liu.  I'll have to check it out sometime. That seems like it would work well for some of the stretching exercises on manna and press handstand, at least. Tompkins Square Park also has a section that's similar, but the bars aren't as closely spaced as at Columbus Park 

Nick Ebner

Here is my park list to train at...

Playground to Train at

 

http://parkfitnyc.blogspot.com/

 

  • Asser Levy Playground 
    • 23rd st for drive and northeastern side of park
    • I train here the most when I'm out of the gym
  • Hamilton Fish Park 
    • E Houston St, Stanton St, Sheriff St, Pitt St
    • never went yet but wanna check it out
  • Minetta Playground
    • Minetta Lane, W. 3 St. and Ave. of Americas
    • never went yet but wanna check it out
  • St. Catherine's Park
    • 1 Ave., E. 67 St. To E. 68 St.
    • never went yet but wanna check it out
  • John Jay Park 
    • 76-78 st. Upper East Side - East River and FDR Drive
    • never went yet but wanna check it out
  • Tompkins 
    • I train here as often as I can
  • East River Park 
    • not as good as tompkins, but a nice change up, especially in the warmer weather. 

If anyone else has any other gems, please add.

Christopher Denzer

Lol, any of you millionaires train in the other boroughs?

Daniel Taylor-Shaut
2 hours ago, Christopher Denzer said:

Lol, any of you millionaires train in the other boroughs?

Lmao. I live near the Barclay's Center in Prospect Heights. I train in my apartment, haha. Used to train at a gym nearby. It was in Park Slope and the clients were all way too Park Slope for me, and way too instructive and critical of my GB training, though I did a few remarks about what it's like to train Ninja Warrior, haha.

Jin Liu
12 hours ago, Nick Ebner said:

Here is my park list to train at...

Playground to Train at

 

http://parkfitnyc.blogspot.com/

 

  • Asser Levy Playground 
    • 23rd st for drive and northeastern side of park
    • I train here the most when I'm out of the gym
  • Hamilton Fish Park 
    • E Houston St, Stanton St, Sheriff St, Pitt St
    • never went yet but wanna check it out
  • Minetta Playground
    • Minetta Lane, W. 3 St. and Ave. of Americas
    • never went yet but wanna check it out
  • St. Catherine's Park
    • 1 Ave., E. 67 St. To E. 68 St.
    • never went yet but wanna check it out
  • John Jay Park 
    • 76-78 st. Upper East Side - East River and FDR Drive
    • never went yet but wanna check it out
  • Tompkins 
    • I train here as often as I can
  • East River Park 
    • not as good as tompkins, but a nice change up, especially in the warmer weather. 

If anyone else has any other gems, please add.

The Chelsea Park on 27th and 8th is nice too. It's got track & fields, p-bars and pullup bars. I go to Tompkins occasionally to train with some calisthenics guys, but the park is a bit far from me. The Columbus park is the only one I know that has stall bars. 

If anyone lives in the part of Jersey that's close to NYC, the Weehawken Waterfront park is awesome! Track & fields, tennis courts, lots of grass (e.g. for HS crashing), and an area with bars: p-bars, pullup bars, benches (inclined or not), low bars (close to the ground. Meant for pushups, but can also be used for dragon flags for example), and rings! Also, imagine working out with this view:

 

 

 

11-11-2016 10-16-28 AM.jpg

Randeep Walia

The John Jay park Nick mentioned is close to where I live and they have parallel bars. 

Randeep Walia

Warrior Fitness in midtown has Stallbars. But nobody seems to know what stallbars are and why they were built there.@Jin: thanks for the tip on Chelsea park. Look forward to checking it out.

Paul Watson

GST in the New York City Area. Transform Fitness is offering a weekly classes in the GB Foundations courses covering all the 7 foundation movements and their associated programming. There are also regular weekend classes covering the mobility series (middle split, front split, thorasic bridge) as well as beginner intermediate handstand and adavanced back-bending using GST and the Contorture method.

Following this link to sign-up: https://clients.mindbodyonline.com/classic/home?studioid=11423

Please contact: Paul Watson with any questions: paul@transformfitnessnyc.com

Randeep Walia

Hope everybody has their indoor spots to train at for this cold NYC winter. I was just at John Jay Park and I was an ice cube by the time I left.

Also, I have been taking a Handstand class Nick setup at Complete Body and Fitness and, I have to say, it's pretty great! I do H1 and H2 and this class serves as an awesome complement to them both. I really feel like I'm taking it to the next level. Shanae, the teacher, really knows her stuff and I have learned a lot. I don't get paid to say this or anything like that, I'm just an advocate for it and hope you New Yorkers will come and check it out!

Wednesday @ 7:30 at Complete Body and Fitness on 19th street by 5th avenue.

Daniel Taylor-Shaut
49 minutes ago, Randeep Walia said:

Hope everybody has their indoor spots to train at for this cold NYC winter. I was just at John Jay Park and I was an ice cube by the time I left.

Also, I have been taking a Handstand class Nick setup at Complete Body and Fitness and, I have to say, it's pretty great! I do H1 and H2 and this class serves as an awesome complement to them both. I really feel like I'm taking it to the next level. Shanae, the teacher, really knows her stuff and I have learned a lot. I don't get paid to say this or anything like that, I'm just an advocate for it and hope you New Yorkers will come and check it out!

Wednesday @ 7:30 at Complete Body and Fitness on 19th street by 5th avenue.

Oh shit I work around the corner. May have to check them out. @Nick Ebner how much are classes?

Randeep Walia
13 hours ago, Daniel Taylor-Shaut said:

Oh shit I work around the corner. May have to check them out. @Nick Ebner how much are classes?

Nice- I'm not too far from there either. If you ever want to train let me know (I usually rig up stuff at NYSC on Mercer).

Dorian Brown

Anyone know any woodworking shops I want to try and build some stall bars. 

Neema Fotoohi

Glad I found this thread. Having done capoeira for 5 years and nowadays I'm doing all ring workouts, it'd be nice to either join a place where others are doing GST and/or find others to potentially train and workout with. 

I see Nick's schedule and don't be surprised if I stop by there.

Randeep Walia

Hey Neema, fellow capoeirista and rings enthusiast here. Welcome to the forum and look forward to training with you. 

Neema Fotoohi
On 1/8/2017 at 7:09 PM, Randeep Walia said:

Hey Neema, fellow capoeirista and rings enthusiast here. Welcome to the forum and look forward to training with you. 

Randeep, look forward to it as well.

After closer inspection of your avatar, I noticed it's of capoeiristas. While I've "retired" from formal training, I still do the movements and train by myself here and there so I'm not fully out of the game.

I'm over by Harlem. Where do you train?