This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

New York City

Started by IcedDante, July 7, 2014 · 112 Replies · 12,930 Views

IcedDante

I'm surprised to see there isn't a NYC thread already going on this forum. I figured from sheer virtue of the huge population there'd be a considerable presence of gymnasts churning their way through Foundation. Maybe there is, and you guys just haven't gotten a thread going so here's one now.

 

I'll be moving there in a few days and will be around for a few months. I train Foundation (F1 and 2), Capoeira and tumbling. Last time I was there Chelsea Piers was my home but I'm going to look for other places as well (that are hopefully a little more affordable).

Edit: Hijacking my top post to let everyone that Transform Fitness NYC on 58th and Lexington is the definitive place in Manhattan for GST. I'll make a post about it as well, but I recommend looking them up on Mindbody to get the current schedule.

Nick_Ebner

Hey,

I'm in NYC. I work out of complete body on 19th st and generally workout out of there, but when I have the time I go to Tompkins square park with my rings and some equipment. Also, I train tumbling and parkour at Brooklyn zoo. There having a ninja warrior class this Sunday.

Nick_Ebner

I also trained handstand on fridays out of Paul's place for a few months, but with my training and client schedule, I haven't been able to get there.  

 

Also, Kit Laughlin is coming October 4 and 5th for a two day class if you are interested let me know.  I'll send you the deal.  I've already got like 7 people coming and Paul Watson will also be there since it's in his spaces building.  

Gabriel Olivero

after taking the assesment, I am taking a break from powerlifting and strongman. I have my own rings on me and know a couple parks that have high parallel dip bars. Right now I am training at Brooklyn Boulders. They have rings set up already, padding all over, sack line, climbing walls, tons of bands etc.

Nick_Ebner

alright.  Well if you make it over to manhattan, or want to check out Brooklyn Zoo for tumbling or something, let me know

newyorker

Anybody in Manhattan want to get together to train regularly? I'm working on handbalancing and strength work and I've attended a seminar with Coach Sommer in the past. I'm looking for anyone to train with once or twice per week. If anyone is interested, reply to the thread or send me a message.

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

Paul Watson's gym only trains four people at a time. And only through consultation...not exactly easy access. 

Nick_Ebner

I'm working on opening a space in manhattan. Goal is winter/spring of 2016. It'll be enough for bigger groups and have rings, stall bars, and all. Optimally it'll be somewhere in the flatiron/union square/chelsea area. Once I get further along in the process I will aim to get my affiliate for it too. If anyone is interested, I'll also be starting some mobility and gymnastic strength classes in the next month. The spaces are not optimal, but good enough to get a lot done. These will be in Flatiron. 

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

I mean, I live in Prospect Heights for at least the next year and attend grad school at NYU. I just joined a gym in the Prospect Heights area and paid all the damn premiums and startup fees, but, yes I'm interested. Doing Gymnastic Bodies in any gym often requires some sort of dance between all the cardio and weight machines, sigh, coupled with stares of shock and awe. 

RichWOlff

I'm very interested in finding a Gymnastic Bodies gym in the NYC area. Has your gym taken off Nick_Ebner?

Nick_Ebner

I'm holding off on the gym and working out of Complete Body (22 w. 19th st nyc) as I build a training team and my classes up. I have GST and mobility classes at various times throughout the week. As they become more popular, I will add more classes during the most suggested times. We are currently working on getting a jungle gym thingy in complete with stall bars on it which could be here by January. Here is a link to the class schedule if anyone's interested - https://nickebnerfitness.sites.zenplanner.com/calendar.cfm

IcedDante

Hey guys- I haven't logged on in a while (but I have been training!) so I missed this discussion.

 

Nick_Ebner- I'm surprised I haven't run into yet as I like to hit up Brooklyn Zoo for tumbling and Ninja Warrior training. I was also going to Chelsea Piers, although its been a while.

 

I was also training at NYSC on 86th and Lexington where they have... wait for it... stall bars! But they just shut it down. Unbelievable. I'm talking with management to see if they'll install them at a different club.

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

If they install stall bars somewhere less uptown please update. It's like a where's waldo trying to find a location. I know crossfit solace has them as do one or two other spots but still it's quite pricey at those places from what I've seen.

IcedDante

Will do: Crossfit Solace is pricey but those classes with Dave Durante are great (if you can get in). Now that they've redone the upstairs at Brooklyn Zoo there's a lot more space, maybe I can talk them into installing a set there.

 

Now that winter is here the parallel bars at Thompkin Sq Park are a tough sell. Anybody know of places with good parallel bars?

Randeep Walia

Hey guys, if anyone wants to meet up for some Foundation training let me know... I'm in the zone! Also, I've been training with Nick Ebner and I highly recommend attending his courses. He will give you all the right cues for your foundation movements and is a great source of knowledge. In addition to training with Coach Sommer he's also trained with Poliquin and Laughlin

Nick Ebner

Thanks Randeep! YES, everyone come to my classes, lol. I'll be in for a Sunday workout in May, just not sure which weekends I have open yet. Maybe the 8th? I'm sure Paul Watson and maybe David McManamon would want in. Maybe at Tompkins? I need a good outdoor workout.

Richard Wolff

Nick and all,

Keep us all updated - I've been working through fundamentals bud would love another set of eyes to confirm/correct what i've been working on!

Thanks

Rich

Dwayne Jones

Hey Everyone,

Are you guys still regularly training together?

Randeep Walia
On 5/23/2016 at 2:20 PM, Dwayne Jones said:

Hey Everyone,

Are you guys still regularly training together?

Hey Dwayne,

Welcome to the group. I train pretty regularly, 6 days a week over in Manhattan. 

Nick Ebner
On 5/23/2016 at 2:20 PM, Dwayne Jones said:

Hey Everyone,

Are you guys still regularly training together?

Hey Dwayne, 

  I'm just catching up on emails, I'm pretty sure I have one from you to respond to. I canceled my membership at solace, as I never have time to go anymore and I train @ 8:30am at complete body on weekdays. Once in a while I get to Tompkins to train, but its rare. We could all set up a meet up for July or August weekend to train. That would be fun. 

Nick Ebner
On 4/28/2016 at 1:42 PM, Richard Wolff said:

Nick and all,

Keep us all updated - I've been working through fundamentals bud would love another set of eyes to confirm/correct what i've been working on!

Thanks

Rich

Rich, as I said to Dwayne, we can plan a meet up, or come by a class. First one is on the house. If you let me know ahead of time, I can gear it towards what you want to work on. 

Dwayne Jones

Sounds good. A tompkins square meetup sounds good

Rinaldy Alvarez

New to this and living in NYC. A meet up would be cool.

Christopher Denzer

Me too. In Queens. 

Michael Badalov

Hey Guys! I've never done gymnastics before or any gst. I just go to the gym weights and cardio. I don't even know how to do a cart wheel or a hand stand but I really want to learn. Any advice on where to go? I live in Queens.