Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Sterno-Clavicular/Acromio-Clavicular Joint pain during dips

Ville Vänni

Ville Vänni

I'm experiencing some pain and stress in my sternum-clavicula-acromion (or, the bones between my chest and shoulder) when I do dips on parallel bars (haven't tried rings in many months).

To give an idea of my strength level, I'm doing F1, currently can do 4 x 12 pushups. I'm doing dips because I mix in a muscle-building routine with F1.

I read that popping your clavicula joint or having it "wear out" due to excess chest-workouts is a concern to be taken seriously.

I certainly don't want to run into this again when I'm doing actual dip-sets from F1.

Tips or tricks to alleviate this?

Don't worry about it too much and like Vincearoo says don't be in a rush with the progressions. It could be that the tissues in the region you speak of are simply not adapted yet to the stresses of dips at present. When you dip you want to bend the elbow obviously but you dont really want your shoulders all the way up by your ears (elevated) which they probably are at your current strength levels. Full bar dips are the 6th progression for HBP in F1 and there is a reason for this

• Upvote 1