Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Basic move with the most progression?

pyleofalex

Joshua Slocum

Out of curiosity, would it be more possible or less possible (again, assuming all things are) to start out with handstand work and begin lowering into an L-sit? Or is going from L-sit to handstand more practical? 

That basically just goes back to the original question, comparing handstands vs L-sits now.

Neither is practical. 

If you want to get more useful advice out of this forum, you're going to have to take a step back. Explain your training goals: what are you trying to learn? What else are you trying to get out of your training? Explain your training constraints: how often do you want to work out, and for how long? What sort of equipment (if any) do you have access to? Tell us about what you're trying to achieve, and we can help you get there.

• Upvote 1

Awesome, your skepticism regarding the ability to transition from L-sits to handstands makes more sense when you outline why handstands would be a better starting point.

Assuming I still start with learning to L-sit (as holding a 30-60 second L-sit seems easier than a 30-60 second handstand, although by how much I'm not sure) at what point would you recommend switching to handstand work?

Joshua Slocum

Take a look at this post in the prerequisites thread, and this document on body-line exercises. All of these exercises will be greatly beneficial in learning to move and control your body. Most of them can be done with no equipment, and the rest need only a bar to hang off of. 

• Upvote 1

Chris Hansen

I realize they're all different or there would be no point, I'm just looking to only train 1 specific thing every single day, nothing else. Will L-sit be my best bet or do you think it's better to start via hollowback press?

If you want to train only 1 thing per day, I wonder if you would be better off rotating between 2 or 3 different exercises?

The real question is WHY? Why would you only stick to one exercise? This makes no sense to me...

Because the only problem I've ever had in my life has been focusing, there are too many options, too many plans, too many moves, too many skills. If I can focus and master one specific movement that will spill over to other areas whether I like it or not.

I see your point mate.. But think about it.. Why master only one move when you can master all of them? Start with the l-sit and b-lever, when it's mastered, move to the planche and f-lever, etc. One at a time, and one day, you will have mastered all of em ;)

Coach Sommer

Because the only problem I've ever had in my life has been focusing, there are too many options, too many plans, too many moves, too many skills. If I can focus and master one specific movement that will spill over to other areas whether I like it or not.

Nonsense.

In the past you have simply lacked the discipline to follow through. Whether or not that trend continues is up to you.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

• Upvote 4

David Creekmore

I get it.  But it's like saying "It's too complicated to manage my diet, I just want to focus on eating one super-food."   It just doesn't work that way.  You need a moderate amount of variety to be safe and make progress.

I think F1 is perfect for you.  It lays out the plan for 7 progressions that together will deliver a lot of strength and mobility.  It's not one move, but it's not hundreds of options either. It's very manageable.

• Upvote 1

Chris Hansen

F1 has held my attention for 13 weeks so far, and I'm looking forward to today's workout. That's pretty good considering my history.

• 1 year later...
Rajesh Bhat

if money is not a problem just get Foundation and Handstand. I don't see the problem here ?!?!? 

Also, what are your goals?

Connor Davies

if money is not a problem just get Foundation and Handstand. I don't see the problem here ?!?!?

Also, what are your goals?

He's gone. He's long gone.

Jon Douglas

I dunno. A year of nothing but Lsits and trying to push up to handstand from there and I'd probably quit too :)

• Upvote 2

Farid Mirkhani

I used to be like this guy. Didn't know what to focus on, how to progress, what sets and reps, what movement, what skills, what drills, what kind of mobility, really annoyed me. Leading to nothing but frustration. So, I can understand his point of view.

Now a days... I'm like a spoiled child since Coach Sommer is doing all the work for me. :)

• Upvote 1

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

I still am this guy on a bad day. On a good day, I just wake up, sip my tea do my Foundation thing at the gym and move on.

• Upvote 1

Rajesh Bhat

Same with my son. He had no idea what to do and did random sprints and pushups and tuckups (this was a while back though, internet gave him a bit more refined GST knowledge). Then Foundation happened.

Connor Davies

Guys there's a difference between not knowing what to do and eschewing the advice of professionals because.... Idk. This guy still doesn't make any sense to me.

My point is none of you are like this guy because when good programming was handed to you on a silver platter (for a reasonable price) you didn't hesitate to jump at the chance.

• Upvote 4

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

I don't know about that whole 'reasonable' thing. Worthwhile? Yes. Valuable? Yes. Affordable? Not entirely. I have had to pick and choose what to spend on what, but being in grad school...$225 for stretching series hit me pretty hard. Discounts or sales would be a lovely thing, if ever offered intermittently or after extensive need being proven through evidence. Anyways, that's not my call. 

Connor Davies

Discounts or sales would be a lovely thing

Reasonable given the amount of work Coach has putten in and the quality of what's on offer.

Obviously there's the starter pack. I remember there being a bulk discount for F1-4 when it was first announced, but presumably that's ended by now.

A bulk discount for all 3 stretch programs would be nice. Even just rounding it down to 200 'cause it makes a round number or something...

Coach Sommer

Not feeling it, guys.  My own athletes each paid nearly $450 per month for years on end to train with me.  A few hundred dollars to have access to that same knowledge seems like a bargain to me.

Not to worry though, there is always 24hr Fitness if you feel it is too expensive.  ;)

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

• Upvote 6

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

Not feeling it, guys.  My own athletes each paid nearly $450 per month for years on end to train with me.  A few hundred dollars to have access to that same knowledge seems like a bargain to me.

Not to worry though, there is always 24hr Fitness if you feel it is too expensive.   ;)

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Why go to 24hr Fitness, when Planet Fitness is so much better?  :lol:

Coach, has jokes I see. But, hey, I don't recall saying I didn't purchase any of the elements. It was simply a toss-out idea, which I see was quickly tossed out. I bought F1+H1 and the Stretching series (as soon as it came out). A lifetime purchase guarantee also diminishes their overall price as time goes on. Having bought all of them in a short span of time, probably could've been budgeted better (but that's my problem, not yours).

Also, will there ever be a seminar in the New England/NYC area? I'd love to attend but flying out to Denver is probably the closest I could manage, even though I've always wondered what Singapore and Australia are like.

Greg Thebeau

Not to worry though, there is always 24hr Fitness if you feel it is too expensive.   ;)

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

I totally agree with Coach.  I just started Foundation 1 and Handstand 1 a few weeks ago.  This material is world class.  The videos are professionally done.  The forum, and time he and others spend here to help is top notch.  This program is WELL worth the money.