Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Killroy 70 Beginner template

Kenneth Manning

Joshua Naterman
Remember the part about you not eating enough? Exercise doesn't make you bigger, exercise + enough food makes you bigger, and exercise + enough of the right foods at the right time makes you big and lean.

Curious if there's a way to know how strong one can get without gaining mass? I've seen videos of the 85kg

olympic lifters pushing like 400 pounds overhead and they don't seem to have really big arms. Then you

hear stories about tiny women being able to lift cars off their trapped kids which is also incredible. Some young

gymnsts especially are strong but not "big". I've made some physical appearance improvements but have not had a very large increase in strength - maybe 15-20% - though don't measure it so it's a subjective assessment.

Well, for one thing an O-lifter does not push overhead. They drop under, catch, and stand up which is an entirely different thing to do. That's why you pretty much always see pretty serious legs on O-lifters.

As for people and adrenaline-fueled superhuman feats, what you DON'T read about is the heart arrhythmias and muscle/skeletal damage that they almost always have after these feats. They come with a high price, which is why it takes a life or death situation to make these things happen. It is very common for there to be widespread muscular damage that takes a very long time to heal, often over a month.

• Upvote 1

Larry Roseman
Remember the part about you not eating enough? Exercise doesn't make you bigger, exercise + enough food makes you bigger, and exercise + enough of the right foods at the right time makes you big and lean.

Curious if there's a way to know how strong one can get without gaining mass? I've seen videos of the 85kg

olympic lifters pushing like 400 pounds overhead and they don't seem to have really big arms. Then you

hear stories about tiny women being able to lift cars off their trapped kids which is also incredible. Some young

gymnsts especially are strong but not "big". I've made some physical appearance improvements but have not had a very large increase in strength - maybe 15-20% - though don't measure it so it's a subjective assessment.

Well, for one thing an O-lifter does not push overhead. They drop under, catch, and stand up which is an entirely different thing to do. That's why you pretty much always see pretty serious legs on O-lifters.

As for people and adrenaline-fueled superhuman feats, what you DON'T read about is the heart arrhythmias and muscle/skeletal damage that they almost always have after these feats. They come with a high price, which is why it takes a life or death situation to make these things happen. It is very common for there to be widespread muscular damage that takes a very long time to heal, often over a month.

Good points and well said!

• 2 weeks later...
Warrior'sSuite
So you (OP) were basically at level zero in the FSP's in January 2009, but only 3 months later (date this thread was created) you could do a full Backlever? Is that right?

Can someone answer this?

• 1 month later...
So you (OP) were basically at level zero in the FSP's in January 2009, but only 3 months later (date this thread was created) you could do a full Backlever? Is that right?

If you read his post carefully you might notice that he is not a total beginner in working out.

If you have never worked out at all you should not expect such progress. If you have worked out and you are generally strong, learning new exercises is much easier. If you are a beginner you have not just to learn a particular move but also get the strength to perform it which might take a while.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

How does this look for a beginner I modified it a bit because doing the arches hurts my back the next day?

Skipping 10mins

Glute bridges 3 sets of 10 then goin to 3 sets of 5 on one leg

N-sit 3 sets of 20 seconds adding 10 secs up to 30

Hollow position - 3 sets of 40 seconds then 50 seconds after several weeks and so on

Inverted rows (I have trouble keeping a hollow position with these and retracting my scapulars)

single leg dead lifts

pushups (same as with the inverted rows my spine ribs raise and my shoulders move towards my ears)

goblet squats

3 days a week with 1 day hopefully going to a free running class that has access to trampolines and a springed floor, I've not been yet so I don't know what it will be like hopefully I won't be too embarrassed.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

I built my own routine which looks a lot like yours (I just saw it, pretty nice indeed!). However, I read that you switched the recommanded L-sit hold for a handstand hold, which is not in BtGB.

My question is, should I switch my L-sit training for handstand static hold as well? Is this more efficient? Or should I train both?

Also, handstands holds were not in BtGB, are they still essential to do? or are the HSPU variations enough?

Finally, regarding sets and reps, u say that you did 4-6 sets. In BtGB it is recommanded to work with 3 sets of 3-5 reps, and for the holds do 60sec total of holding per position in one training session.

Is doing more sets more efficient? or should I stick with the 3 sets?

Thanks buddy!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Dies Irae

After I finish my static work for a given workout, which generally consisted of 7-10 sets of each movement, the remainder of my workout looked like this:

Day 1 - horizontal plane pushing and pulling FBE

Day 2 - curling (inverted pullup) and dipping variations (RTO dips, etc..) FBE

Day 3 - pullup and HeSPU variation FBE

Day 4 - multiplane pulling variaions + varied pressing work

How much did you rest betweens sets? Did you do straight sets or super sets?

I would really like to know this.

Thanks.

• 4 months later...
  • 7 months later...

I've been having doubts-confusions and many thoughts that disrupt my training. The programming is hard when you want to learn a couple of skills at the same time and continue to lift to train in the same manner you already do. Your post has given me some thoughts about changes I need to do but I'm still in this state of "I don't know what to do"

John part of the problem you're having is caused by thinking you are training a couple of skills. The 'skills' in GST are actually strength elements. It's Gymnastic STRENGTH training not Gymnastic Skill Training.

Your thought process needs to adjust itself to think of these couple of skills as being more akin to a couple of new lifts. You may not be able to successfully keep the rest of your training as it is and plop this on top. 

That said this is a GST forum, which follows a very well laid lout training program (Foundations and Handstand Courses to begin with), so we can't get into any specifics about the what to do.