Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Correlation between sitting and muscle soreness

Bill Köhntopp

Bill Köhntopp

(not sure where to open this thread, so i started here)

right now i'm having semester break and i'm sitting most of the time in front of my computer to improve in some programs. 

I'm doing F1 3x a week and 3 times a week football/soccer(for a month).

So i think i have enough action and my body should respond and adapt well normally to this in the time frame i'm playing soccer. I sleep enough, eating is quite ok(could be better of course), i'm slowly getting some grams on my body.

The 1-2 days after footballtraining i have really hard DOMS in my gluteus maximus and hamstrings as well.

My quads are relatively fast regenerated. Last training was Tuesday, today is next session and the doms will stop me to train i think, just to deep still :(

Have to find an excuse for the coach...again, damned!

But as i was studying, i wasnt sitting as much as right now, more running around campus and i had no doms like that, but i also did not started with football, so i cannot seperate one of the both named reasons = football & sitting.

I googled about the connection what sitting affects in the muscles, but did not find really helpful answers.

After just 30min sittings sometimes my butt hurts and i have to stand up short or change sitting position.

Sometimes my hams too. But most of the time its the butt.

Tried different chairs i have around, didn't helped.

Think one problem is, that i cannot make a pause with one day without sitting, i have to learn too.

Long story...i think that sitting affects my muscles of the back chain, my hams and gluts.

Maybe the blood can just flow in suboptimal ways? Maybe its the pressure that does not allow the muscle to rest enough? I do not know.

Would like to hear if anyone else has same experience or can give some information to this.

Find this very interesting!

William

Jaros?aw Ruszkowski

My experience - avoid sitting at all cost. I'm very tight after 10 minutes of sitting, my Lower back sometimes even hurts. Right now i'm fighting with all the years spend with sitting form of learning/working. My hips are locked and thanks to F1 i'm repairing myself. Right now in work i'm using standing work Station, i'm not sitting in bus/train and when i'm waiting for something/someone I'm squatting. Also trying to get more flexible in hip area so flutes, adductor, hip flexor, quads and amhammies are getting more movement. Right now I'm in the transition point and love the effects.

• Upvote 1

+1 on the standing workstation.  I have been using one for a couple of years now, and for the first year or so of that, I played a lot of soccer (2-3 times a week).  My 40+ year old body does much better with the standing than it did when I was stuck in a chair for my 50-60 hour a week desk job, especially when I'm sore.

Most people don't have a standing desk available to them, but you can improvise by putting a short table on top of your desk, and placing your keyboard and monitor on that.  Ikea makes several affordable little tables for that.

Ideally, your forearms should be roughly parallel to the ground when your hands are on the keyboard, and the top of your monitor should be at about eye level or a little higher.  I personally like the top of my monitors to be a couple of inches above eye level.

If you google make a standing desk you will see lots of great ideas.

Here is a good example of the Ikea table I mentioned.  With this set up, you can place the keyboard tray at exactly the height you need, and it's very affordable.

I work from home these days, but if I ever have to go back to an office environment where standing desks aren't available, I will take something like that with me, and a bar height stool for those occasions that I want to sit for a little while, or when I've sprained my ankle playing soccer.

ForzaCavaliere

Sitting on chairs is not good for you. 

Assume the bottom of the squat position instead (where applicable. ie. you wouldn't do it at work/class, maybe while on the computer at home), it's pretty good for you.

Get a standing desk or sit in a squat :) The time you can spend in a squat will probably be very limited though.

When I study I usually do it in a squat or a stretching position - or standing up.

I own only one chair (a bid leather arm chair - but I actually rarely use it)

I feel it especially in my hip flexors if I've been sitting at my parents' for a while.

Bill Köhntopp

Thank you all for replies.

Yeah since yesterday i was most of the time on a harder pillow on my knees, was quite nice and i could do it over an hour without problem, chaning position is also easy to relax some parts. The hights is the same as on a chair.

The replies tell me, there are a lot people with the same situation.

I want to know more about what happens with the muscles we sit on every minute, what happens there...decreased blood flow and so on, because for me its not just the pain thing, there must be a correlation between my doms and the sitting. 

Shortening the muscles and so of course, but thats not giving hard doms i think, never had this before so far.

ForzaCavaliere

From eatmoveimprove, the blog: 

"There has not been much talk of this in the media. However, most of the sports communities knows the problems associated with sitting and its detrimental effects on athletic performance. Even so, the effects of sitting are more widespread than just poor athletic ability. Let us analyze why sitting is a problem.

• In sitting, the butt / gluteal muscles are in a stretched position. When a muscle is allowed to be in a stretched position for extended periods of time such as in school or office jobs, the muscle becomes weaker and thus inactivated. This is the opposite of what happens with the calves in their shorter and tighter position. Thus, with sitting the glutes become weak and inactive.
  • The hip flexors which are shortened in hip flexion, like the calves, become shorter and tighter. The hip flexors consist of the iliopsoas, rectus femoris, sartorius, tensor fasciae latae (TFL), and adductors longus and brevis.Thus, with sitting the the hip flexors become short and tight."

Taken from: http://www.eatmoveimprove.com/2009/11/shoes-sitting-and-lower-body-dysfunctions/

Herrick Fang

What does everyone know about the effects of kneeling on two legs or one leg(lunge with back leg on the floor) while on the computer?

Bill Köhntopp

What does everyone know about the effects of kneeling on two legs or one leg(lunge with back leg on the floor) while on the computer?

Thats what im doing since 2 days, feels good. But i'm kneeling on both knees most of the time, but sometimes one leg is behind.

Bill Köhntopp

From eatmoveimprove, the blog: 

"There has not been much talk of this in the media. However, most of the sports communities knows the problems associated with sitting and its detrimental effects on athletic performance. Even so, the effects of sitting are more widespread than just poor athletic ability. Let us analyze why sitting is a problem.

• In sitting, the butt / gluteal muscles are in a stretched position. When a muscle is allowed to be in a stretched position for extended periods of time such as in school or office jobs, the muscle becomes weaker and thus inactivated. This is the opposite of what happens with the calves in their shorter and tighter position. Thus, with sitting the glutes become weak and inactive.
  • The hip flexors which are shortened in hip flexion, like the calves, become shorter and tighter. The hip flexors consist of the iliopsoas, rectus femoris, sartorius, tensor fasciae latae (TFL), and adductors longus and brevis.Thus, with sitting the the hip flexors become short and tight."

Taken from: http://www.eatmoveimprove.com/2009/11/shoes-sitting-and-lower-body-dysfunctions/

Nice articel! Thanks!

Thats really interesting for me, cause sitting is a big part of my life right now.

So thats the reason Mn Pe2 is such a hard one for me!!! i knew it... :ph34r:

After years of sitting (my posture was getting awful) I´ve since about a year ago changed my desk  to one that I can adjust the hight (from Ikea). I also threw my traditional office chair out and got a Yoga ball to sit on (se picture). So now I try to switch from sitting to standing throughout the day.

post-90-0-73592400-1393865780_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Bill Köhntopp

i was thinking about this kind of gymnastic balls, my last one got damaged from a small something i dont know, but i liked to jump a little while sitting on it, was kinda fun and relaxing the back.

i think i will get another one, so my ass isn't hurting anymore i hope :D