Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Lack of front lever and planche progrres

jan0sik

Hi! As i said in the title, it pisses me of that a lot of people can achieve a planche in a year (or front lever in few months).  

Me and my friend have been training for the front lever and planche for almost two years, and we're stuck on the advanced tuck front lever for 30+ sec.   Planche is no different. We can do sometimes adv. tuck, sometimes only tuck, but my friend is capable of doing a straddle planche for a secon of two (incline, not perfectly horizontal).   We've tried everything. We also know what the retraction during the FL is and how to protract the scapula in planche, but still - there is no progress. We have a decent base of strength (we can do about 10 HeSPU, 3 full HSPU, 17 pull-ups, 30+ dips and some bulgarian dips, full back lever and 2 back lever pull-outs, a single dip with 50 kg attached to the dip belt and also pullups with 30 kg, multiple dragon-flags and headstand leg raises) and we really have no idea what we do wrong.  

We would like to know what are the technical issues behind our lack of progress. Can you please tell us how to do these two moves technically well and what are the proper progressions? We tried leans, holds for extended times and anything like that.    

Maybe we're wrong? Can you please describe the protraction and retraction in these movement, because maybe we misunderstood something. 

Any tip is appreciated.

PS.: I saw the foundation one course and i don't really need it.

Daniel Burnham

Hi! As i said in the title, it pisses me of that a lot of people can achieve a planche in a year (or front lever in few months).

Me and my friend have been training for the front lever and planche for almost two years, and we're stuck on the advanced tuck front lever for 30+ sec. Planche is no different. We can do sometimes adv. tuck, sometimes only tuck, but my friend is capable of doing a straddle planche for a secon of two (incline, not perfectly horizontal). We've tried everything. We also know what the retraction during the FL is and how to protract the scapula in planche, but still - there is no progress. We have a decent base of strength (we can do about 10 HeSPU, 3 full HSPU, 17 pull-ups, 30+ dips and some bulgarian dips, full back lever and 2 back lever pull-outs, a single dip with 50 kg attached to the dip belt and also pullups with 30 kg, multiple dragon-flags and headstand leg raises) and we really have no idea what we do wrong.

We would like to know what are the technical issues behind our lack of progress. Can you please tell us how to do these two moves technically well and what are the proper progressions? We tried leans, holds for extended times and anything like that.

Maybe we're wrong? Can you please describe the protraction and retraction in these movement, because maybe we misunderstood something.

Any tip is appreciated.

PS.: I saw the foundation one course and i don't really need it.

Most likely it is a lack of preparation. I find it interesting you simply dismiss the foundation program when it was designed to address the very things you are frustrated about. It may also be issues with the way you are programming your workouts or maybe the form you are using.

There are a lot of variables to consider. And you can either try and sort them out for free on the forum, which may time a lot of time and effort on your part, or try and find a coach in your area to help you out. Or get foundation which is guaranteed to sort these things out for you

• Upvote 1

I'm just asking for help. Do you have any advice regarding planche or fl work? Can you explain how to protract the scapula properly and keep a hollowbody during a planche?

You sound like the poster child for people who need foundation one, lol.

Also, front lever has been described as not retraction but rather a widening of the scapula so that the lats seem to create a shelf that the body rests upon. (Coach Sommer's words, I believe). If you maximally retract, the lats shorten too much, examine the length-tension curve of sarcomeres something 80% to 120% something blah.

Why not try again to give a shot at Foundation one? Just try for a couple of months and see how it affects you. If someone who has taught hundreds of planches provides you a course to learn a planche, I'd say give it a shot.

Joshua Slocum

There are numerous threads on this forum discussing proper technique for the planche and front lever. Use the search feature. 

• Upvote 1