Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Tickles when turning head upside down

Frédéric Dubois

Frédéric Dubois

Hi everybody from the GB community,

My name's Frédéric, I'm from Belgium and this is my first post. I've been following the forum for a while and decided to take part in the discussion. Let me start with a question.

Whenever I come from a bridge position or an inverted support hold, which both have the head turn all the way upside down, I get enormous tickles in my tummy and can hardly keep my body calm. It's because my head signals a shift in the direction or plane of balance. Is this something you just get used to, so that the feeling will gradually become less to non-existent, or is there a trick to it?

Thanks! 

Connor Davies

I've never heard of this before.  Presumably it will just go away on its own with practice.

Do you get this in all inverted positions?

Michael Böhme

Maybe you eat or drink too much before you practice ?!?

:)

In Yoga there´s a general rule not to eat  2 hours before practicing , especially before practicing inversions .

Did you check your general health status ?

Blood pressure?

any internal organ´s health problems history ?

Frédéric Dubois

Thank you for the input. It's weird to me that you have never heard of it before. I suspected it to be quite prevalent.

I don't think it has anything to do with eating or health status. I don't have any health problems, I eat very healthy and I try to live as mindful as I can. And when I do these inverted positions it's always at least several hours ago since I've eaten, sometimes even half a day (when I do it in the morning on an empty stomach).

I do not get the dizzy spell in all inverted positions. For example a handstand or cartwheel does not evoke the feeling. When I am well rested and warmed up, doing a somersault also does not evoke it (however I did it this morning from sitting and being a bit tired from having slept more irregularly than usual and got a similar feeling). Backflips don't either.

I've found some tips on other forums through Google:

- Focus on a fixed point when coming out of the inverted position

- Don't close your eyes

- Don't hold your breath

- Keep practicing

- This morning I found out that slowing down or pausing the tilting of my head prevents it

But as far as that goes... There doesn't seem to be much I can do except try to make sure I'm well rested and warmed up and try to get used to it through practice.

I would just ask: could you do bridge and, while still in that position or only starting to leave it, tilt your head back up. Do you not get a similar feeling?

Connor Davies

I would just ask: could you do bridge and, while still in that position or only starting to leave it, tilt your head back up. Do you not get a similar feeling?

Nope!  Just played around with it a bit.