This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Height and weight

Started by Daniel Söderberg, February 6, 2014 · 112 Replies · 3,056 Views

William

nearly the same as federico...

 

...185cm and 73kg, but i am eating so much :S

 

 

metric system rulez :D

Finnbar

185cm 87kg

6ft 192lb

john_c

I'd be interested to know what the average weight and height of an Olympic gymnast , if anyone knows ?

NoHiddenCosts
Daniel Söderberg said:

So the average so far is 179cm and 77kg!

 

 

Gosh, need to drop 7kg or whatnot to match the average weight ;P. On my way now though, just broke the magic border of 90kg!

I need to drop 16cm to match the average height >.<

Bro&#39;
NoHiddenCosts said:

I need to drop 16cm to match the average height >.<

 

I can help with that, let me get my axe.  :lol:

bigB

185cm 105kg

neil gillies

All,

Interesting to see others' stats. I am 86kg, (189lbs), 183cm (6').

A bit of simple physics makes it obvious why so many adults find the low leverage positions so difficult and why they must be approached with such caution to avoid injury. If we take the l-sit as an example and approximate the legs as a fixed cantilever with their weight approximated as a uniformly distributed load (UDL), then the moment at the hip is given as:

M = WL^2/2

where W is the UDL (weight of legs) and L is the length of the legs. In this simplified example, the hips represent the point of moment fixity, with the moment reacted in tension by the contraction of abdominals, hip flexors, etc.

So as you can see, the length of the legs is squared and as such moment increases quadratically with leg length.

So if you take a child of height = 150cm (leg length =75cm), mass = 50kg (leg weight = ~500N/2), then the moment at the hip in our simplified example is 70Nm.

For comparison, if you take my leg length to be half my height (i.e. 0.915m) and my leg mass to be half my body mass, then the moment at my hip is 174Nm. This results in a moment that is almost 2.5 times that of the child in our example which has to be reacted by the aforementioned musculature (granted, my thicker waist would result in a slightly larger reacting lever, but the general point still stands).

In addition to other considerations which Coach Sommer discussed in his recent podcast, this is a major reason why children are able to progress so much faster through these positions than the average adult. The difference in moment (this time measured at the shoulder) would be even more pronounced in positions such as the front lever, etc. due to the additional squared length contributing to the moment.

Cheers,

Neil

KibboKift

Neil,

This is an interesting turn to take with the discussion, but I think you might be mixing up your formulae a little here. Your formula would result in Nm on one side of the equation and Nm^2 on the other. Check this link:

http://www.roymech.co.uk/Useful_Tables/Form/Stress_Strain.html

I think the formula you actually want (for a cantlivered beam with UDL) is simply:

M = WL/2

This would give a moment of 94Nm for the child in your example, compared with 197Nm for yourself.

 

Still a pretty impressive difference, I admit, although I would argue that adults have much larger leg muscles in general, as a result of having to counteract these greater moments. Since most of the larger muscles are in the upper leg, this would tend to concentrate the weight of an adult's legs closer to the hips, making things a little more even.

Duff

193 cm, 75-80 kg, depending on how much I eat :P

neil gillies

KibboKift,

Ahh yes, my mistake. I forgot to convert the leg weight into a load/unit length. If I had done this my equation would have been correct. You are right, since I didn't do this the equation should be WL/2 as per your correction. Always good to get a calc checked! :-)

Still, the adult/child moment ratio is significant. Good point about the distribution of load.

Cheers,

Neil

BeanLion
chris82 said:

191 and 81 kg

 

Does not seem to be to many of us tall and lanky on this forum.

Snap, 190.5 cm and 81kg

Though I could do with changing some of that fat weight to muscle weight

Gripjj

181 cm  ~ 76 kg

fazool

5' 11" and 197 lbs

Aaron

Another lanky person reporting in: 188cm, 82kg.

howens

183cm 76kg

Roni

165cm & 70 kg

Jon Douglas

175/ 80ish kg. Stocky un, Im all torso.

Ravn
Jon Douglas said:

175/ 80ish kg. Stocky un, Im all torso.

I knew it! That must be why hll are tough for me - my legs are a kilometer long :-)

ausswe

184/86 kg. little arms but big torso and legs. Legs are too big as I spent a good portion of my life cycling and walking considerable amounts a day. It is also where I tend to store my fat :P.

Jon Douglas
Ravn said:

I knew it! That must be why hll are tough for me - my legs are a kilometer long :-)

Erik crushes your excuses! :P

Mark Collins

186cm and 95kg. Anyone want 10kg?

Micawberian

Hehe I'm not posting my height...the gymnastic world is not ready for such a paradox. So I'll just say I'm 63 kg. Hehehe

MrPuppeh

Im 192cm and 100 - 102kg

 

Guess no planche and Iron cross for me, lol :P  

Bipocni
MrPuppeh said:

Im 192cm and 100 - 102kg

 

Guess no planche and Iron cross for me, lol :P  

I'm pretty sure heavier guys than you have held an iron cross before...