Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I got the press handstand! is there a "wrong" form?

Katharina Huemer

Katharina Huemer

Hey guys!

Today I got my press handstand! I can't really believe it, the first time I heard of this skill was 7 months ago and it seemed impossible - and now I finally have it! I started learning it against a wall, then moved on to try it from floor ( I was never comfortable with pressing up from something!) Last week was the first time I could lift my feet from the ground and balance for some secs and today I got it! I just leaned forward, held the balance and pressed up - so easy now!

So now I have 2 questions:

- is there a wrong technique for the press handstand? can you do something wrong with your legs or feet? or of it Works - you do it right?

- the next step is pressing up from straddle Support...how hard is this? i can hold a straddle for 30 secs! what are some skills I should work on before trying this?

Thanks!

• Upvote 1

Like Coach says put up a video.

There is also some excellent posts and authers on this forum. One example is member handbalancer. He has put out some very informative posts. Here are just 2 examples.

https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/topic/10684-march-handstand/#entry107924

https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/topic/11253-press-handstand/#entry109306

Search around a little.

Make sure your feet are going out not just straight back and up.

Honestly, if you have a good straddle L, stalder press isn't that far off if your standing press is strong. Maybe try something like straddle press then stalder negative. Stalder rolls are good too I guess.