Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Formal Introduction and a welcoming for routine critique

Hardy Evans

Hey all,

I've posted on here twice before with questions, and all of the replies have been very helpful. Since I'll probably be on here a lot more often in the future, I decided a brief introduction was in order.

I'm a 20 year old college student in Ohio, studying Mol. Biology and hoping to soon go to medical school and one day practice as an ER physician. I spend most of the little free time that I have working as a firefighter/EMT, and also working out. I got into GST from Crossfit about six months ago after training meticulously to get my first strict muscle up. I've since stopped doing Crossfit and I know focus almost entirely on gymnastics and bodyweight training. 

Enough about me; since I'm quite a novice at designing routines I was hoping somebody could give me some feedback on my current program.

Most important to understanding the why's of how I train are my goals, which are in rough order:

Upper body:

1. A one arm chin up.

2. A straddle planche on the floor/PB.

3. A freestanding HSPU

4. Front/Back lever.

5. A consistent strict, slow bar muscle up.

Lower Body:

1. A 225 lb widowmaker (20-rep squat).

What I've been doing is using a 4 day a week pseudo-push/pull split, which looks something like this:

Pull 1,2:

Weighted Chins- 5 sets of 6, 8, 8, 10, 10 reps

1 Leg Front Pulls- 3x6-8

Overhead Press- 3x6-8

1-leg BL holds- 3x9-12s

Push 1,2:

Feet elevated Planche leans- 4x9-12s

Strict Ring MU- 4 sets of 5-7 reps 

Bulgarian Dips- 4 x 8-10 reps

RTO Pushups- 4 x 8-10 reps

For my skill work I'm currently doing HS one 4 days a week.

As for muscle ups being on push days and overhead press on pull days, I simply found through practice that doing weighted chins and muscle ups on the same day seemed to impact the quality of whichever was done second, so I moved MU to push day and OHP to pull day.

I usually do 3 weeks of high rep (6-10) work for hypertrophy, and then 3 weeks of low rep (2-5) work for strength, followed by a deload week on week 7. 

I also work L-sits and compression exercises on my off days, and usually start off my push days with high weight 20-rep squats to work on legs.

Any thoughts? Does this look effective given my goals?

Connor Davies

Oh wow, haven't had one of these in a while.

Either look into buying Foundation or follow Killroy70.

Sorry to be so abrupt, but that's the general advice you're going to get around here with a "rate my routine" kind of question.

• Upvote 1