Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Rings Turned Out definition

Bryan Wheelock

Bryan Wheelock
Rings Turned Out is when the epicondyles of the elbow are parallel with the coronal plane of the torso.

Layman's explanation: RTO is when the pit of the elbow is pointing straight forward. Rings at approximately 45 degree angle to the body.

I just wanted to confirm RTO position.

When I was working on Ring supports in the fall I had worked up to 3 sets of 35 seconds. 

Wanting to get to proper RTO position I kept turning the rings out until they were parallel with the my body, approximately 85 degrees. Even with that rotation, I was still having a hard time getting the top of the rings off my forearm.

I saw this:

When I added in support in a False Grip on the soft fleshy part of the palm, about 1.5 inches in from the base of the palm, I quickly developed a pain in my bicep tendon that only happen when I turn my elbows out all the way. It's still there 4 months later.

I'm now working on building up my times with the ~45 degree angle.

Since I think I was turning out the rings too much, I just wanted to get a definitive answer and hopefully keep anyone else from injuring them self.

Joshua Slocum

My guess would be that you built up too much volume too fast, and the pain is from tendinitis. 

"Rings turned out" can mean anything beyond rings parallel to each other (i.e. what you would call 0 degrees). For the purpose of developing strength in a support, 45 degrees is a good metric to use. 

Bryan Wheelock

How do you know when you are in proper RTO position for your body?

Is the definition of RTO just getting the arms off the straps?

That step is easier than getting the rings off my arms.

Regarding the injury, it may have been from working on RTO support,  working on longer straps (5ft to 9ft), or a few right hooks on my top-bottom bag where I may have hyper extended my elbow because I was trying to work on keeping my arm as relaxed as possible.

Joshua Slocum

How do you know when you are in proper RTO position for your body?

Is the definition of RTO just getting the arms off the straps?

That step is easier than getting the rings off my arms.

Regarding the injury, it may have been from working on RTO support,  working on longer straps (5ft to 9ft), or a few right hooks on my top-bottom bag where I may have hyper extended my elbow because I was trying to work on keeping my arm as relaxed as possible.

In a proper RTO support, the straps should not be touching the arms, and the forearms should not be exerting any pressure on the rings - ideally they shouldn't touch at all. See this video for an example: 

RTO means that at a minimum the rings should be turned past parallel.  The degree of 'past parallel' will vary from athlete to athlete.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Bryan Wheelock

Thanks for responding Coach.

Perhaps I'm being pedantic, but I'm still looking for some focus points so I know when I've found the right amount of rotation.

- rings turned out past parallel at a minimum

- elbows locked

- epicondyles of the elbow are parallel with the coronal plane of the torso

- forearms off straps

- minimal or no contact with top of ring

- ring makes contact with base of palm 1/2 inch in front of base of palm

In regards to your forearms touching the straps, take a look at this post https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/topic/6494-correct-xr-support-and-hs-guidelines/

Scroll down to Mats Trane's question about wrist position.  The way I understand it is in a proper support position you aren't using a false grip, and when done properly (as described in that post) your forearms will not touch the straps.  Doing support in a false grip though, it's harder to avoid depending on the degree of false grip used.

More qualified people than me may correct that last statement.  But coach himself comments on support hold in that post.  Give it a read.

• Upvote 1

Thanks for responding Coach.

Perhaps I'm being pedantic, but I'm still looking for some focus points so I know when I've found the right amount of rotation.

- rings turned out past parallel at a minimum

- elbows locked

- epicondyles of the elbow are parallel with the coronal plane of the torso

- forearms off straps

- minimal or no contact with top of ring

- ring makes contact with base of palm 1/2 inch in front of base of palm

Just get into support hold and externally rotate your arms as much as you are able to while you do your best to keep your forearms off of the rings. According to Coach how much rotation varies between athletes. For any further details just watch the video someone kindly posted.

• Like 1