• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Correct XR Support and HS Guidelines

Kim Jongseong

Kim Jongseong

here's mine

6233922377_dfcba25076.jpg

At first i had no idea where the mark of something came from. very soon i realized that doing ring handstands made the mark. it's been 3 months since i got the mark. I don't care if it comes off or not. anyway there are various ppl on this forum. I was wondering if there's a man very strong with beautiful hands. and howbout you? Tell us how's your GB life going with a picture of your hands :D

There is no reason for your hands to be bruised during ring handstand training. This is caused by improper technique and alignment. Given the nature of your bruise, my suspicion is that you are hanging from your legs wrapped around the straps with your arms bent and the rings turned completely inward. This is counter productive and will not provide the strength gains you are seeking.

Xtreme Ring Handstand Performance Guidelines

1) There should be no contact between your shoulders and the straps.

2) There should be no contact between your forearms and the straps.

3) There should be no contact between the forearms and the rings.

4) There should be no contact between the wrists and the rings.

5) The shoulders should be completely open.

6) The ribs should be pulled in with the back completely flat. This will be especially difficult if the lats are tight.

If you are not yet able to at least approximate the above criteria your training efforts would be better served by focusing on wall handstands to correct alignment strength issues.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

• Upvote 2

There is no reason for your hands to be bruised during ring handstand training. This is caused by improper technique and alignment. Given the nature of your bruise, my suspicion is that you are hanging from your legs wrapped around the straps with your arms bent and the rings turned completely inward. This is counter productive and will not provide the strength gains you are seeking.

1) There should be no contact between your shoulders and the straps.

2) There should be no contact between your forearms and the straps.

4) There should be no contact between the wrists and the rings.

5) The shoulders should be completely open.

6) The ribs should be pulled in with the back completely flat. This will be especially difficult if the lats are tight.

If you are not yet able to at least approximate the above criteria your training efforts would be better served by focusing on wall handstands to correct alignment strength issues.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Perfect! I'll do my first skill work on rings on saturday, this is very helpful, thank you Coach!

Also, when one is in support, are forearms allowed to touch the rings? There is absolutely no contact whatsoever of my body with the straps, but I don't find it possible to don't touch the rings with my forearms.

... Also, when one is in support, are forearms allowed to touch the rings? ..."

No, the forearms should remain clear of the straps during a support. Additional details regarding the correct execution of an XR Support Hold is available on page 74 of BtGB.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

• Upvote 1

... Also, when one is in support, are forearms allowed to touch the rings? ..."

No, the forearms should remain clear of the straps during a support. Additional details regarding the correct execution of an XR Support Hold is available on page 74 of BtGB.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Interesting, I will work on getting my forearms off of the rings in my warmups from now on, I have a decent stability in the support, when I started with this training, I focused on those for a quite a bit of time. but I always had and have trouble with straightening my arms. More work needed!

Thank You.

Kim Jongseong

Oh my gosh. Can't believe I've been wasting my time and effort :cry: I read and read tot how to do handstand on rings. I feel super pressure on my biceps when i do ring handstand. I wanted to know what i do incorrectly so i took a video of me doing it. please critique anything wrong.

the video : http://www.flickr.com/photos/67914552@N08/6236678173/

This is important - Now a sticky in Ring Strength, Title has been changed as well.

The note on support hold is also not to be underestimated, its all too easy to bypass obtaining a proper support hold in favor of more exotic challenges.

Oh my gosh. Can't believe I've been wasting my time and effort I read and read tot how to do handstand on rings. I feel super pressure on my biceps when i do ring handstand. I wanted to know what i do incorrectly so i took a video of me doing it. please critique anything wrong.

the video : http://www.flickr.com/photos/67914552@N08/6236678173/

While the shoulder girdle requires more extension, the ribs need to be pulled down and the back flattened, I see nothing in the video that would damage your hand as shown in the previous photo. Please explain in more detail what happens during your ring handstand that causes the bruising to your hand.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Aaron Griffin
When I turn the rings out my forearms still touch.

It's my understanding that you need to turn them out and push them away a few inches. I've been building up a small callus/red spot from the rings rubbing on my forearms in RTO. Turns out this is wrong

• 4 weeks later...

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

For my forearms not touch the rings I have to have my hands like shown in picture 1. Is this correct or should I have them like in picture 2?. Which is right?

The way I´ve been doing (ringhandstands) up till now is like picture 2

Picture 1

post-111-13531537229077_thumb.jpg

Picture 2

post-111-13531537229337_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

In picture 1, if he were to turn the rings outwards, the top of the ring would still rub against his forearm

In picture 1, if he were to turn the rings outwards, the top of the ring would still rub against his forearm

The wrist position in picture 1 is correct, however the statement above is incorrect. As the ring turns outwards, it is important to remember that the forearm itself will also rotate changing the position between the ring and forearm.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Ok, I always had my my wrist straight because I read on this board that someone spoke to a gymnast and he said that bending your wrist to avoid the forearms touching is cheating. I couldn't figure out for the life of my how I was supposed to keep my forearms from touching the rings, even when they were turned out and not touching my body.

someone spoke to a gymnast and he said that bending your wrist to avoid the forearms touching is cheating.

As Gymnastic Strength Training™ continues to become more and more popular, it is important to qualify that not everyone who is or was a gymnast was a good one and their advice should be taken with a grain of salt.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

• Upvote 1

• 5 weeks later...

With rings dips and push ups RTO is part of this. But, keep in mind the rings should on be turned out in the support position, as you lower in both the push up and dips the rings will trun to neutral position, just make sure as you push backup, you strive to turn the rings back out

Is it true that anytime you lock your elbow (such as at the top position of dips and pushups) you should strive to turn the rings out? What's the benefit of doing that? and is turning out 45 degrees fine or should you try to make them completely turned out? (if possible)

• 1 month later...

Just a quick question: Which wrist position is correct for doing Dips?

I used to do them like shown in picture 2 but, after reading through this thread, I'm not sure if this was the right way to do it.

• 3 months later...

I am also wondering what your wrist position should be during dips... should be like picture 1 right?

Also I can't figure out how after doing a muscle up with false grip, to turn out in a proper support hold and have your forearms not touching the rings... are you supposed to switch to a grip like in picture 1 at the top?

Is it a bad idea to do muscle ups if your forearms touch the rings in the support?

Cheers!

• 4 weeks later...
Bryce Warren

I'm also interested in the last question posted here. Hand position during movements such as dips and muscle-ups. I'm assuming the wrists should be straight and locked as in picture 2 instead of bent, which means the forearms will be touching the rings. I see no other way of maintaining the false-grip. So is it just the straps you should be clear of during support movements, and touching forearm to rings is fine?

• 1 month later...
Matus Michalicka
I am also wondering what your wrist position should be during dips... should be like picture 1 right?

Also I can't figure out how after doing a muscle up with false grip, to turn out in a proper support hold and have your forearms not touching the rings... are you supposed to switch to a grip like in picture 1 at the top?

Is it a bad idea to do muscle ups if your forearms touch the rings in the support?

Cheers!

bump

• Coach Sommer unpinned this topic