Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Advanced tuck planche form check

saiyaman

Hi everyone this is my first post,

I'm currently doing my first cycle of advanced tuck planche, I want to know if my form is correct.

Could anyone help me out?

Here's a video of my second week and my first week:

http://youtu.be/7Nf-vAm4nXE

My max time hold is 16 seconds

The first week I did this for my workouts:

-Planche leans 20 seconds X 3 sets

-Advanced Tuck Planche 8 seconds X 8 sets

Today was the first day of the second week and I tried something new:

-One set of 20 seconds planche lean

-Advanced tuck planche 8 seconds X 8 sets ( same as first week)

-And I finished with 2 sets of 20 seconds planche leans.

I noticed that my form on advanced tuck planche was better and a little easier, I think I'm going to do it like this now.

Thanks  :)

Your form is incorrect. Hips need to be horizontal and legs should be open 90 degrees. Shoulders should be protracted, upper back rounded.

Joshua Slocum

The form critiques above are spot on. My recommendation would be to focus your efforts on developing a very strong planche lean (e.g. 60 second hold with perfect form) before moving on to planche holds. Emphasize having strong protraction and a bit of depression. Try to feel both your chest and back muscles being engaged. Once you've done that, move on to mastering the tuck planche (again, a 60s hold is a decent milestone) before beginning dedicated advanced tuck work. 

Remember, the most productive exercise to work is usually not the hardest exercise you can do. 

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the info guys,

I'm going to work on my protraction, open my legs 90 degrees and try to be the most parallel to ground I can.

I actually can do 60 seconds planche lean but hands placement are not near enough to hips, that's why I do 20 seconds planche leans, focusing on contracting all my muscles, leaning the more I can, straight arms with my shoulders protracted and my upper back rounded(hollow position), lower back neutral. When I do my leans I can feel my traps, my lats and my back muscles working without including all the others muscles engaged.

I never tried to do 60 second tuck planche, I will film and post it if I can.

Next time I record myself I will do it without a shirt so we can see more the details and placement of my body parts.

In this picture:

5A-GregB.jpg

Hips are a little higher than shoulders, legs not 90 degrees opened, upper and lower back neutral.
It's from this site so I thought it was correct form:

Yaad Mohammad

Thanks for the info guys,

I'm going to work on my protraction, open my legs 90 degrees and try to be the most parallel to ground I can.

I actually can do 60 seconds planche lean but hands placement are not near enough to hips, that's why I do 20 seconds planche leans, focusing on contracting all my muscles, leaning the more I can, straight arms with my shoulders protracted and my upper back rounded(hollow position), lower back neutral. When I do my leans I can feel my traps, my lats and my back muscles working without including all the others muscles engaged.

I never tried to do 60 second tuck planche, I will film and post it if I can.

Next time I record myself I will do it without a shirt so we can see more the details and placement of my body parts.

In this picture:

5A-GregB.jpg

Hips are a little higher than shoulders, legs not 90 degrees opened, upper and lower back neutral.

It's from this site so I thought it was correct form:

http://www.dragondoor.com/articles/building-an-olympic-body-through-bodyweight-conditioning/

No, the form there is incorrect. You want something more like this:

post-2312-0-16131700-1384237116_thumb.jp

post-2312-0-41192200-1384237128_thumb.jp

I'm not sure which one is better yet, but this is what it should roughly look like.

• Upvote 1

The first one is better since it makes your body slightly longer which would help the transition to straddle.

Although, having your legs open 90 degrees is way more important than the lower leg position.

• Upvote 1

Joshua Slocum

The first one is better since it makes your body slightly longer which would help the transition to straddle.

Although, having your legs open 90 degrees is way more important than the lower leg position.

Not quite. The first is actually better because the back is closer to flat. In an advanced tuck, you want the upper back to have a slight hollow, and the lower back to be flat. In this respect the photo of the young gymnast is the best. However, the hips need to come down a bit and be a bit more open. 

No, the form there is incorrect. You want something more like this:

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

I'm not sure which one is better yet, but this is what it should roughly look like.

Thanks for the pictures Yaad.

Are you able to do full planche?

• Upvote 1

Yaad Mohammad

Thanks for the pictures Yaad.

Are you able to do full planche?

Not at the moment, I lost some planche strength but I'm recovering again.

Not at the moment, I lost some planche strength but I'm recovering again.

Don't give up my friend, recover well you'll get it soon.

• Upvote 1