Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Shoulder Dislocates

Coach Sommer

Alexander Egebak

Is there any formula for how much weight one should lift to a certain grip width for a number of sets and reps?

EDIT:

Saw podcast recommendations.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Keilani Gutierrez

just seems that one shoulder is more flexible than the other, thats all. :)

hang out at that ROM and really push that weight around! then when it feels easier just move your hands as much as you can that day. 

Thanks Keilani for the reply !

So your advice would be to increase the weight I am using and keep the same width for now ?

Keilani Gutierrez

assuming you get it at least to a bit wider than your handstand width. focus first on the width of the grip before getting over your head (no pun intended) with too much weight. 

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
 As you lift the belt up and then backwards over your head, rather than thinking of moving your hands back, first "inlocate" or, in other words, think of rolling your shoulders forward. This will rotate the shoulder joint in the socket, making the backwards movement much smoother. 

As you bring the belt back forward, first "dislocate" or roll the shoulders backward, then bring the arms around. 

I'm a little confused here. Can someone explain the "rolling forward" a bit more? Also when you dislocate before bringing the arms up, it's sort of like shrugging and retracting the scapula right? Thanks for any help

Played with these finally last Saturday. Been meaning to for months but didn't get around to it until I realized I could just use the PVC Oly sticks, youth, training, and women's bar.

Grip is 29" apart and my shoulders are 20" broad. This is roughly a wide jerk grip for myself but not my snatch grip.

Just as a test, I worked up to a set of 3 with #35. Women's bar with #1 plates. #3 jump to #38 would not happen. This could have just been exhaustion as I started with #2.5 and a pvc stick. 

Rather liked them. I already do some similar drills with plates to warm up my shoulders for snatching/cleaning/jerking. Generally takes about 3 minutes for the series and involves #10 plates for arm circlesx10  slowly. Haven't really tried them ever with #10+#1 or #2.5 plate.

I will be going back and working these with a smaller grip at the end of sessions to see if I can work towards more open shoulders in my HS. Hands are wider than I like which makes the 1arm stuff such as HS wall run or pirouettes crappy. Well, besides crappy wrists.

Some thought on them is that skin the cats on a bar from supinated grip or rings would put a lot more stress on the shoulders due to the load of the body. Then again, I haven't really done skin the cats much since switching to WLing. I can still do them if my shoulders are warmed up but I generally haven't messed with 60s german hang holds. Because I hate 60s. More of me just screwing around on rings.

While I do have a set of rings, they aren't set up where I can work dead hang ring work atm as they are hung off a door pullup bar unless I feel like taking them down and throwing them over a garage support beam. Not happening when the garage is near freezing.

Colin Macdonald

I'm a little confused here. Can someone explain the "rolling forward" a bit more? Also when you dislocate before bringing the arms up, it's sort of like shrugging and retracting the scapula right? Thanks for any help

I think the rolling of the shoulders just refers to the natural movement when you transition from having your arms in front, to where they twist around to the back. It can be helpful sometimes to focus on hunching strongly (or depression and retraction if you're lifting from the back) and really trying to activate the muscles of your upper back to create a smoother transition.

• 1 month later...
workinprogress

Hi everybody,

I have been willing to push myself with the dislocates in the past few weeks in order to get better with my back swing and front work on the rings.

What happened is that after competing the other week I came out with a major pain on my shoulders.

Usually I have the problem of huge strength loss and various pains after competing but it normally lasts only a few days (you guys have hints to make this recover quicker?). This time it's being long and really tough. Plus I never really developed great shoulders inflammation.

I believe it's due to the many dislocates and I am wondering of suspending them momentarily and maybe partially substituting them with static shoulder stretches, i.e. holding the dislocating position with the stick instead of making continuous rotations.

What do you guys think?

Thanks for your attention and hints.

Cheers

Coach Sommer

... I have been willing to push myself with the dislocates in the past few weeks in order to get better with my back swing and front work on the rings ... What happened is that after competing the other week I came out with a major pain on my shoulders ...

Of course you hurt yourself.  Mobility training is not strength training and cannot be approached with the same level of intensity.  Improvements in mobility are at a minimum measured in months, not a few weeks.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

• Upvote 4

workinprogress

I didn't have any goal of measuring improvements in few weeks, all I did is incorporating a set of dislocates each mount on the rings. Let's say 10x6-10 rotations 3 times a week.

I started one month before my last competition and that was the result: I clould feel some improvements in my ROM but after competing it turned out in a major shoulders pain.

As I said, I usually get big strength loss and general soreness after competing, but it usually goes away in around 5 days or so. This time it's being more intense, long lasting and particularly evident on the shoulders.

This is why I am considering to (partially) substitute rotations with more static stretching as I explained.

I wonder what your thoughts on this point are, and if you have some general hints in order to shorten my usual recovery time after competing. I envy my team mates who are fresh already the day after competing and are able to perform like usual.

Take care.

Coach Sommer

If you are experiencing such drastic drops in strength and performance after competitions, it merely shows that your training/conditioning are completely out of balance with what you are attempting to compete.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
Connor Davies

How do you guys warm up before your dislocates? I've been jumping into them fairly cold and it takes me all 5 sets to really get to the point I feel loose. Obviously, this is not conductive to increasing ROM.

I know coach says his athletes do a single set of 10 reps. Assuming this is with maximum weight and ROM, how could someone possibly warmup for something like that?

• Upvote 1

Keilani Gutierrez

I agree, my shoulders also need some thorough lovin' before doing dislocates. I warm up with some shoulder distractions and wall extensions for time. I listen to a 3minute-ish song while I do the wall extensions with a chill tempo.

How do you guys warm up before your dislocates? I've been jumping into them fairly cold and it takes me all 5 sets to really get to the point I feel loose. Obviously, this is not conductive to increasing ROM.

I know coach says his athletes do a single set of 10 reps. Assuming this is with maximum weight and ROM, how could someone possibly warmup for something like that?

Warm-up sets.  The single of 10r is the actual work set.  Warm-up sets you would slowly start off fairly wide then slowly working your way, then adding weight

David McManamon

Failed to maintain form (left elbow bent on return) at 25 lbs today but I foresee gains in weight and will post a video when I reach 35 lbs.  

• 2 months later...
Jan Reipert

i use a broom stick  first for as many reps as it takes to make my shoulders feel warmed up. afterwards i do another set with my working weight and start with the widest possible grip, narrowing it rep by rep and essentially making each rep harder by increasing the lever of the weight. i do this for a set of 5 before i start my regular working sets.

Colin Macdonald

I've found that korean dips are a good move to warm up with for dislocates if you've mastered them. I find they help warm up and stretch out the front of the shoulder at the same time.

Though if you can't do korean dips cold, then it's obviously not a good idea. Then you'd have to warm up for your warm up...  :P

Alexander Egebak

I've found that korean dips are a good move to warm up with for dislocates if you've mastered them. I find they help warm up and stretch out the front of the shoulder at the same time.

Though if you can't do korean dips cold, then it's obviously not a good idea. Then you'd have to warm up for your warm up...  :P

I guess the same thing applies to bench dips. If you can dip very low you get a reasonable shoulder extension stretch.

• Upvote 1

• 4 months later...

Today, the unbelievable happened and I completed one dislocate at shoulder width using an 8 lb bar with 2.5 lbs added weight, making it roughly 10.5 lbs.

The first movement (i.e., taking the bar backwards) was relatively easy for me. But the return journey was quite a doozy. Hence the reason I was only able to complete one -- at 10.5 lbs anyway.

The question I now have is what should I do to maintain this, or how can I build on this to take this to the next level? What frequency should I use for maintenance, etc?

Right now it's only the overgrip dislocates that I can do at shoulder width. The undergrip will take me a while longer.

Well done Atticus!  I keep a set of 10 in my warm up along with the wrist and shoulder series.  maintains it nicely.  i'm doing that about 3 days per week.  

• Upvote 1

Congrats, that's an achievement :)

Are you pretty happy with mastery? Start with maybe 5 sets of singles if the reps are quite taxing for now, but aim for 1x10 as MT says above :)

• Upvote 1

Congrats, that's an achievement :) Are you pretty happy with mastery? Start with maybe 5 sets of singles if the reps are quite taxing for now, but aim for 1x10 as MT says above :)

Thanks Jon. Happy more so with the persistence in training than with the end result (which is still a work in progress), though I now know that a lot of what looks like "impossible" to the layperson is indeed possible.

I'll take your recommendation and try that for starters, though I still need to warm up my shoulders before I attempt anything shoulder-width.

• Upvote 2

• Scott Malin unpinned this topic