Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Shoulder Dislocates

Coach Sommer

Coach Sommer

Is there a video of the exercise done with a dorsal grip that we could see?

Yes, the video is available in H1.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

robswanson

I have 2 questions for sholder disocates

#1 - If I am not pushing it to far (no grinding or clicking in the joint, no major discomfort etc) is it possible to over do the volume on sholder disocates? I am currently doing them 1 to 3 times a day for 2 sets of ten with a wooden dowel and a 1.25 kg weight, starting from wide and working my way in as my mobility increases. With the plan of getting to within 1.5x sholder width then increasing the weight.

#2 - I am able to perform a dislocate with my hands pronated (with a relatively wide grip). However when I try supinated grip if I start from the front I can barely get passed vertical and if I start from the back I can get to almost horizontal. It feels very tight through my biceps when I try it this way. I am currently doing sets where I go as far as I can and back down from the top and from the bottom. Is this a good approach to work towards a full dislocate with supinated grip? I imagine my work with pronated grip will also be improving my range of motion for supinated grip.

Any advice on either or both these questions would be much appriciated. Thanks

Jon Douglas

1;

Yes, it is. Irritation can rapidly become injury. I also find that working them too often results in them becoming more difficult-- tighter in response to overdoing it. Less is more, light weights probably aren't going to hurt you, but less frequent/more weight is more productive. Two to three times a week worked hard is right for most people.

Once I started getting above maybe 12kg, I started to get medial delt doms after a good session-- not stretching fatigue or pain, but muscle-worked doms. Fast forward to now and my medial delts are bigger than ant or post. It's a strength movement once your shoulders loosen up, treat it as such :)

2;

Yes. Starting from the back is easier on the grip, H1 has pics and videos and much more detail. People seem to tend to find one or the other grip easier; working both is good.

• Upvote 1

robswanson

1;

Yes, it is. Irritation can rapidly become injury. I also find that working them too often results in them becoming more difficult-- tighter in response to overdoing it. Less is more, light weights probably aren't going to hurt you, but less frequent/more weight is more productive. Two to three times a week worked hard is right for most people.

Once I started getting above maybe 12kg, I started to get medial delt doms after a good session-- not stretching fatigue or pain, but muscle-worked doms. Fast forward to now and my medial delts are bigger than ant or post. It's a strength movement once your shoulders loosen up, treat it as such :)

2;

Yes. Starting from the back is easier on the grip, H1 has pics and videos and much more detail. People seem to tend to find one or the other grip easier; working both is good.

Thanks for the replies!

I have one further question. If I am starting from 1.25 kgs and a wide grip (ie very restricted by mobility) and training this movement 3x per week (slowly moving grip in until the time I approach shoulder width and then add weight), what sort of volume per session do I want to be doing? 2 sets of 10, 5 sets of 10? I realise it can vary depending on the person but I would be curious about what youve found in your experience. Thanks

Gabe Gaskins Gaskins

Should the Scapulae rotate with the arm?

As in protracted shoulder with the dowel out front, shoulders elevated with the dowel overhead, to retraction with the dowel behind you?

Want to make sure i do these right. Havnt noticed any discomfort but i have been doing these for a few years but with a stretch-band. I never really worked on getting my hands closer.

• 2 weeks later...
Ivan Pavlovic

Hi everybody !

What is the purpose of doing weighted shoulder dislocates and when to start adding weight in them ?

Alessandro Mainente

the purpose is increase the active shoulders flexion range of motion, in that way the body recognize this rom as safe.

• Upvote 1

the purpose is increase the active shoulders flexion range of motion, in that way the body recognize this rom as safe.

i think Dislocates is a shoulder rotation movement rather than a sagittal plane movement

Alessandro Mainente

Yes you are right ;) , but if you think about a handstand you need rotation or you need flexion? the fact that you can develop (also) strength over all the shoulder girdle leads to benefit in all GST movements, from side lever to manna.

Considering the dislocate only an exercise to improve flexion is reductive because it not works only on sagittal plane, but in therms of active handstand hold and future press to hs the IM 7 for example it's quite effective especially in the beginning part.

As every exercise you can perform you will feel the major work iin the weak point, for me is always in the flexion compared to other degrees. simply I have strong traps due to holding the olympic bar to squat on my traps, but this have a little transfer of real upper traps function.

• Upvote 3

• 1 month later...
Johan Denker

How safe are these to do when having problems with shoulder impingement due to bad scapula positioning? Rehabbing is going in the right direction with strengthening of serratus anterior and rotator cuffs. 

Doing external rotations with dumbells, band No-moneys and band pull aparts etc, heard alot of good things about the dislocates but don't want to add exercises that might be bad.

Douglas Wadle

These are actually great for scapular rehab and do help with impingement, provided they are taken very slowly and advanced very cautiously.  Start with wide grip where it is comfortable.  there should be no pain with the dislocates.  focus on the scapulae elevating, retracting, depressing as you go up and around and down.  important to do them with at least 5 lbs weight so as to get the muscles activated. Slowly over time as your comfort level improves and you're not having discomfort move your hands closer together.  as the hands get eventually to almost shoulder width it is time to increase the weight.  

• Like 1

Johan Denker

One part of my shoulder/scapula problem is that the area around my lower corner of the shoulder blade is painful, it also feels strange to retract the scapula. Rhomboid major?

After doing 3x15 dislocates yesterday this area got very very sore and also the ribs under my armpit? My guess is that this is has to do with rhomboid major and serratus anterior?

Guess i will have to wait with the dislocates. 

what do you mean by "follow"?

Let the left shoulder dictate the ROM of the movement and stay symmetrical left to right.

• Upvote 1

Alessandro Pantanella

One part of my shoulder/scapula problem is that the area around my lower corner of the shoulder blade is painful, it also feels strange to retract the scapula. Rhomboid major?

After doing 3x15 dislocates yesterday this area got very very sore and also the ribs under my armpit? My guess is that this is has to do with rhomboid major and serratus anterior?

I had some issues after doing dislocate. It wasn't directly because of the exercise but because I had some tightness and my muscles were too tired and dislocate were just too much for me in that moment.

Active release massage and chiropractor solved the issue.

If you have an injury or some problems don't risk to make it worse. Go see someone that can help, DIY is not always the best option.

Sven Ravnstag

DIY is not always the best option.

This is true, however there is almost always a DIY component to any type of physical rehabilitation/manual therapy.  And this is from a guy in a profession that makes tons of money off of repeat customers who leave out their end of the work.  

I tell people that there are some  things a good PT, massage therapist, or chiropractor can do for you that you can't do for yourself, but there are a lot of things you can do for yourself that none of us can do for you.

Okay, soapbox ceded. 
  • Upvote 1

How did you build up to 3x15? Was this the first time you did it? If so, no wonder you got sore. Start of with a very low volume, and build it up over months. 3x15 sounds like a lot in any case.

• Upvote 1

Keilani Gutierrez

How did you build up to 3x15? Was this the first time you did it? If so, no wonder you got sore. Start of with a very low volume, and build it up over months. 3x15 sounds like a lot in any case.

you're telling me. im sweating 4x5 hard :P 

• Upvote 1

Johan Denker

I had some issues after doing dislocate. It wasn't directly because of the exercise but because I had some tightness and my muscles were too tired and dislocate were just too much for me in that moment.

Active release massage and chiropractor solved the issue.

If you have an injury or some problems don't risk to make it worse. Go see someone that can help, DIY is not always the best option.

I am gettin Active release massage once a week since 4 weeks and feeling a little less tight in some areas around the shoulder.

This is true, however there is almost always a DIY component to any type of physical rehabilitation/manual therapy.  And this is from a guy in a profession that makes tons of money off of repeat customers who leave out their end of the work.  

I tell people that there are some  things a good PT, massage therapist, or chiropractor can do for you that you can't do for yourself, but there are a lot of things you can do for yourself that none of us can do for you.

Okay, soapbox ceded. 

I think so far most of the work is for sure done by myself, however the therapists has pointed me in the right directions ( most of the time) I am afraid that my body is healing slower than what i want it to. Been having shoulder problems for 3 years but 4 months ago it just got very bad the day after a long surf session. Wasn't able to external rotate at all for a month.

I didn't really build up to 3x15 i guess. For the last 3-4 weeks i have been able to do rehab since my shoulder got worse so this was my first attempt to do them since my injury. Maybe should have started with fewer reps. Had no pain while doing them but was struggling and had some mild discomfort in the scapula. 

• 2 weeks later...
Andrew Graham

Coach, you mention that it the ideal ratio to work these at is 1 set of 10 reps after the workout.

At present, i'm doing 5 sets of 5 reps with 2.5kg on the dowel at about 10inches outside shoulder width. Would you consider this abit OTT and somewhat unhealthy for the shoulder joint? I don't get any grinds and pops but towards the ends of the 5th set my shoulder does get pretty fatigued!

What's your opinion??

That single set of 10r is for advanced athletes who maintaining strength and ROM.

At 10" outside shoulder width and using only 2.5kb you are just getting started. My recommendation is to continue with your current programming.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

• Upvote 2

• Scott Malin unpinned this topic