Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Shoulder Dislocates

Coach Sommer

I tought that it was a typo and that he ment PE1 :D

Another question about the dislocates, I'm not sure I'm performnig them correctly so I have to film myself, in a mean while, has there been any discussion about scapula position during the movement? If not, what is the scapula position during the movement :)

I tought that it was a typo and that he ment PE1 :D

Another question about the dislocates, I'm not sure I'm performnig them correctly so I have to film myself, in a mean while, has there been any discussion about scapula position during the movement? If not, what is the scapula position during the movement :)

Not really. Umm.... protraction + internal rotation at the front, moving through to retraction/external at the back. I found it pretty instinctive when I focused on really extended the path the bar moved as much as possible, a very wide arc.

Connor Davies

Not really. Umm.... protraction + internal rotation at the front, moving through to retraction/external at the back. I found it pretty instinctive when I focused on really extended the path the bar moved as much as possible, a very wide arc.

I find elevation and protraction really help you get past that sticking point just behind your head, at least on the way back.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a shoulder imbalance whereby one of my shoulders is pulled much farther forward as a result of poor posture playing videogames through childhood.

Its resutling in uneven strength and muscle mass on my deltoids, as well as hindering skill progression.

Would these exercises help at all?

Joshua Slocum

I have a shoulder imbalance whereby one of my shoulders is pulled much farther forward as a result of poor posture playing videogames through childhood.

Its resutling in uneven strength and muscle mass on my deltoids, as well as hindering skill progression.

Would these exercises help at all?

Yes. They may not be sufficient to fix all of your issues, but they will help a lot for pretty much anyone who doesn't already do them. 

• 1 month later...
Mladen Ruzic

Any comment on my dislocate form (5.5 lbs plate)? I'm worried about my wrists position at the end range:

• Upvote 1

Jon Douglas

Any comment on my dislocate form (5.5 lbs plate)? I'm worried about my wrists position at the end range:

Note your right shoulder elevates and rotates much more easily than your left. This isn't a problem as such, just be aware of it and try to keep both your arms at a similar angle from your shoulders, or you could find yourself relying on your more flexible shoulder to get a weight over-- not ruining the exercise completely but not great either.

I'd also like you to do them more slowly-- the turning point should be a smooth sort of roll, not a 'pop' from front to back. Again, not a problem now, but as you get heavier/narrower you want to ensure it's under control :) This is where you iron out the details to really get the assorted tiny rotator muscles in on the game.

Summary;

Good start, but tighten the screws a little while the weight is light :) The wrists are fine, be patient with them and they will adjust.

• Upvote 3

Niklas Slotte

Jon made some good points. You want to minimize the rib flaring, too. It makes the movement easier and if you're going for a hollow handstand, you're missing out on a few nice stretches near the armpit.

• Upvote 3

Jon Douglas

Jon made some goods. You want to minimize the rib flaring, too. It makes the movement easier and if you're going for a hollow handstand, you're missing out on a few nice stretches near the armpit.

Ooh, yes, you're definitely doing this too. I was looking at your shoulders and missed this very important point that you should address first. Keep your ribs down!

• Like 1

Mladen Ruzic

Priceless comments guys, exactly what I needed, thanks!

I applied some of your cues today and felt stronger stretch on my chests and armpits like Niklas said!

I'll give it a few more sessions and film it again, hope it won't be annoying :)

Ramman Turner

I've been doing disocates for months close to 6+ months 2x week. My grip width has stagnated at double shoulder-width. I've been doing between 0-5 lbs on a PVC pipe. Should I be waiting to add weight until my grip gets narrower?

GoldenEagle
On 3/10/2014 at 5:34 PM, Ramman said:

I've been doing disocates for months close to 6+ months 2x week. My grip width has stagnated at double shoulder-width. I've been doing between 0-5 lbs on a PVC pipe. Should I be waiting to add weight until my grip gets narrower?

No. Don't add weight until your grip gets to 1.5 shoulder width and even then you'll want to start over with a wider grip than 1.5 shoulder width.

Dislocates is one of the movements you want take slowly. The last thing you'll want to do is literally dislocate your shoulder from the socket because you are doing the movement wrong, to fast, or with too much weight.

This movement is for primarily developing shoulder mobility. The strength aspects comes into play when you are developing handstand skills.

I am using 5lb/2.27kg plate using a hand width of 36 - 44in/91.44 -111.76cm. I started out with a 3lb/1.36kg tree branch.

Connor Davies

I don't totally agree with GoldenEagle here.  Weighted stretching has a cool effect where you can build up extra ROM even though you're not actually using it.  I'd hesitantly suggest that you can get past your 2x shoulder width sticking point by adding some extra weight.  Don't go crazy here, 10lb would be a good starting point.  You're not trying to build epic dislocate strength here, you're just trying to get past this one sticking point.  Work back up to your current ROM with 10lb, then see where that takes you.

Alternatively, you could keep doing your current dislocate program and add in an extra, heavier dislocate day.  But that's slightly more risky, because you're getting less rest then.

Above all, be careful.  Dislocates are scary.

• Upvote 1

Keilani Gutierrez

are you doing any Pec/Lat stretches right now? once I started doing some focused stretching on those tight spots(and surprisingly, the exercise that helped freeing up the most ROM was HSPE-iM1.) my shoulders started freeing up a bit more making dislocates smoother at narrower widths. (29.5inches wide was a sticking point for me and has slowly crept forwards from there.)

Jeanne Horgan

I pushed myself a bit too much in trying to up the weight on this exercise. I used 15 pounds trying to get very close to shoulder width and did about 5 sets of 5. Felt fine the rest of the day but the next morning, I had a slight irritation in my left tricep. 

The irritation only comes when I put my weight on my arm such as an L-sit hold.

I'm assuming this was caused by over-stretching the muscle when it obviously wasn't ready (I guess I had to learn the hard way).

I'll be taking a week off from training with it to be cautious in preventing any serious damage.

Although, is this a common minor injury that occurs from training dislocates inappropriately? Has this happened to anyone else?

Mladen Ruzic

Strange thing happened yesterday... I finished my F1 session, did some rolling on my T-spine, scapula and shoulders and proceeded to shoulder dislocates (this was before H1, I was quite warmed up).

I did a few reps of very wide dislocates without weight for warmup and after that I added 5lbs (my usual weight) and started again very wide... On my first weighted rep, right after I started with that inlocation movement thing at the top felt sharp pain in my left shoulder. I quit immediately and went back to rolling.

My shoulder hurt rest of the day and according to the symptoms I found online it looks like it's shoulder impingement (it hurts when I try to rise my left hand sideways and I feel it a bit when I try to do pushups, other movements are painless).

Today I just did some rolling (around my T-spine, scapula and rest of the shoulders) and light rehab exercises.

Now, at the end of the day (it's past 11 pm here)  my shoulder feels much better, pain is almost gone. I'm a bit confused, if it was shoulder impingement wouldn't it lasted longer? I'm continuing with rehab exercises but I'm wondering what actually happened, any ideas? Is it possible for symptoms for shoulder impingement to disappear so fast?

• 1 month later...
Matthew Levy

I love shoulder dislocates.  Since I started using them every day, my shoulder pain has all but disappeared. Now, I am new to F1/H1 (just started testing last week), and there is one shoulder mobility exercise already that I cannot do (the static shoulder extension as part of one of the H1 iM), but dislocates have helped with the many other shoulder issues I've had that limited by ability in Olympic weightlifting.  My snatch-grip is a finger's width outside the rings.  I am now doing dislocates with my ring finger on the rings (about 4 finger's widths closer on each hand).

A couple months ago I couldn't turn my head to the left at all and I couldn't sleep on my right side and throughout the night I would wake up in pain in my neck and shoulders.  I could barely do any upper body pressing and snatching was excruciating due to the lack of mobility and pain.  Dislocates weren't the only thing I did, but they are the one thing I have done for my shoulders every single day for the last few months.

I trained with my Olympic weightlifting coach yesterday on snatches (he trains me 1-2 days per week) and he was amazed at the difference in my mobility, speed, and form, since I started really taking mobility seriously.  By the way, I informed him that I was starting gymnastics training doing the F1/H1 programs and much to my surprise, he was a huge supporter of me doing so.  His coach was the legendary weightlifting coach Dr. Kyle Pierce, and he told me that Dr. Pierce thought that every Olympic weightlifter should start out doing gymnastics for a variety of reasons, but not the least of which is the mobility.

• Upvote 2

Coach Sommer

Interesting that you mention Dr. Kyle Pierce.  His approach to programming for weightlifting is one that I see easily fitting into a combined GST and WL schedule.

For those who may be unaware, Dr Pierce is the personal coach of Kendrick Farris; one of the top US weightlifters for the last two Olympics.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

• Upvote 1

Matthew Levy

Interesting that you mention Dr. Kyle Pierce.  His approach to programming for weightlifting is one that I see easily fitting into a combined GST and WL schedule.

For those who may be unaware, Dr Pierce is the personal coach of Kendrick Farris; one of the top US weightlifters for the last two Olympics.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

My coach was a teammate of and is good friends with Kendrick Farris.

Mats Trane

Dislocates weren't the only thing I did, but they are the one thing I have done for my shoulders every single day

Interesting

What else did you do?

As you did them every day, were they weighted or with just the stick?

Matthew Levy

Interesting

What else did you do?

As you did them every day, were they weighted or with just the stick?

I did it with just a stick, although now that I have joined the GB family I am going to start trying them with some added weight.  I am also thinking of adding daily stretching in to help me get past the iM for H1 PE2>iM and H1 PE1>iM.  I am not close on either one of those mobility movements despite being able to handle the strength movements themselves.

As to what else I did, any number of things:

I used a lacrosse ball and rolled out what I could.  I took the same stick that I was using for dislocates, laid it on the ground with one end in a corner, then I got on the ground on my back and jammed the other end into traps and took time turning my head left and right and bringing my arm from my hip to overhead.  I also bought some VooDoo floss from Rogue fitness and started flossing my shoulders and added internal and external rotations while banded.  I also did band pull-aparts and did some banded internal and external rotations.  Some days, when I had a lot of time I would do all of these things.  Others, I would just do 1 or 2 of them (whichever I felt I needed the most) along with my dislocates.

Since my shoulder has gotten so much better, I have dropped almost all of these things (at least doing them regularly) except for dislocates and band pull-aparts and dislocates I do every single day.  Now, I might do one of the other shoulder movements occasionally (or something else) but ALWAYS dislocates.

The only other stretch I do every single day is on for my calves/ankles.  I put a loaded bar across the front of my knees and sit in a deep squat position and hold the bar at snatch width or wider and try to sit back and as deeply as possible and let the knees come as far forward in front of the toes as possible (and get pushed deeper by having a loaded bar pushing the knees forward).

I usually try to cycle in different stretches in addition to those two, but those two stretches never change.

• Upvote 1

What is the purpose of doing these weighted?

Im currently doin these daily with a belt and trying to move my hands closer and closer, just wondering what the purpose of adding weight would be?

Keilani Gutierrez

What is the purpose of doing these weighted?

Im currently doin these daily with a belt and trying to move my hands closer and closer, just wondering what the purpose of adding weight would be?

active flexibility, amongst others :) it's really good for the joint 

• Scott Malin unpinned this topic