Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The "True" REVERSE PLANCHE!

Aris Tsangarides

Aris Tsangarides

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRhruKe2TPw

3.44 - a move I once thought was impossible has been achieved. 

Bar athletes are making history my friends- The way to greatness may not look pretty, but they are doing what they can with what they have, turning a simple park workout session into a mind boggling demonstration of what is, in my opinion, superhuman feats of strength!!

• Upvote 1

Neither of these is a reverse planche.  The first video shows a victorian on the floor and the second video shows a skill which has no name.  A reverse planche begins from a handstand and then keeping the back flat, lowers the back towards the ground with straight arms while opening the shoulders and pressing the shoulders in front of the hands.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Aris Tsangarides

Jargon aside, given that only a handful of high caliber gymnasts can perform the victorian on the rings, and even those that are able to do it, are unable to go past parallel, when a russian/ukrainian dude from the slums with no real resources or facilities(of course this is an assumption based on the impression calisthenics videos give) invests the time and effort in a skill that is basically almost impossible to achieve, let alone do it on the ground-with his fingers..i must say..either the way they perceive the impossible is not like most of us, or they are all pro gymnasts pretending to be amateurs.. but you can see from their form, they're not pros in gymnastics, but pros at defying what's achievable and what isn't. 

• Upvote 1

Ha naming aside this is incredible. I can't believe people disregard how hard this is. Can't we come to an agreement that some of this stuff requires extreme strength and no one else is doing it? I'm not to stuck up to admit that this is Damn impressive! If it's not post a video.

Jargon aside, given that only a handful of high caliber gymnasts can perform the victorian on the rings, and even those that are able to do it, are unable to go past parallel, when a russian/ukrainian dude from the slums with no real resources or facilities(of course this is an assumption based on the impression calisthenics videos give) invests the time and effort in a skill that is basically almost impossible to achieve, let alone do it on the ground-with his fingers..i must say..either the way they perceive the impossible is not like most of us, or they are all pro gymnasts pretending to be amateurs.. but you can see from their form, they're not pros in gymnastics, but pros at defying what's achievable and what isn't. 

I'm pretty sure they don't get on a forum and argue about what's possible and what isn't. They pick a skill they want to achieve and work for it. It's so easy to wonder how someone is doing a specific skill when in reality, they have been training for it for a long time before a video is ever seen.

The "street workout" scene is still pretty new and I'm honestly eager to see what people accomplish. Of course, as of right now, only a few people actually have respectable form, but who knows, it could change in a few years.  Not long ago, most of the videos were usually guys doing levers and muscle-ups, now the norm is usually OAC, planches, etc. 

Everyone involved is still young, so I'm sure that there's going to be some people that reach a high level of strength. 

FREDERIC DUPONT

(...) Everyone involved is still young, so I'm sure that there's going to be some people that reach a high level of strength. 

A great franchise for a good elbow/shoulder/wrist surgeon... :wacko:

(...) Bar athletes are making history my friends (...)

Yeah, tone down the hyperbole and the dramatic music, play the video side to side with one of the gymnastics videos from the last Olympics, and you'll see that history is not being made in the parks.

It is good to that many have taken on bettering themselves, & make do of little or no equipment to achieve great things though. :)

• Upvote 4

Michaël Van den Berg

No doubt - these guys are strong. But as far as I know there's a world of difference between doing a planche on floor or doing it on rings, and I assume the same is true for Victorian. There's also a huge difference in difficulty between bad form and perfect form. So: respect where it's due, but let's keep it real. And also keep in mind that just because gymnasts never perform certain holds/moves, it does not mean they're out of their league. Gymnasts simply work within the framework of the Code, with a given set of skills that are used in competetion. From their POV it would be a waste of time to train for something that does not earn them extra points.

• Upvote 4

Connor Davies

Gymnasts simply work within the framework of the Code, with a given set of skills that are used in competetion. From their POV it would be a waste of time to train for something that does not earn them extra points.

Remember that if a gymnast performs a skill that's never been done before, they can have it evaluated, rated for difficulty and then they get to name it.  This is how the victorian came about relatively recently.

Remember that if a gymnast performs a skill that's never been done before, they can have it evaluated, rated for difficulty and then they get to name it.  This is how the victorian came about relatively recently.

I heard the victorian was actually conceptualized and added to the COP a long time ago before anyone ever achieved it. Usually, a skill is named after the first person to compete it and submit in a major world competition like Danny Rodrigues has at least one victorian skill named after him.

• Upvote 1

Michaël Van den Berg

I know and I agree. My point is that although the street workout community is starting to do things that have not (publicly) been done by gymnasts, this does not mean that they are becoming stronger than gymnasts. The gymnastics skill set simply evolves in a different way and maybe in a different direction.

Aris Tsangarides

you're missing the point.. comparing gymnasts to street workout athletes shouldn't be compared in the first place. One works within a predetermined and rather fixed but efficient framework of small progressions slowly moving toward eliteness in a sport that's probably the hardest sport in the world. They start training at a very young age, with knowledgable coaches, with more or less good facilities, reinforcing good form and technique and being exposed to it through competitions, child athlete oriented family upbringing, and alot of the times with an end goal in mind, which is going to the olympics (Olympico). 

how could one compare gymnasts with street workout athletes, which are mostly self taught, start at in their mid/late teens, no real coaches, nobody to correct their bad form, their facilities are whats readily available to them-parks, no real structure, the only support they get is from their fellow athletes, and perhaps more recently there's been a shift in social support from their community, but no specific directed child rearing towards raising an athlete. And many of these guys, obviously look up to gymnasts, and try to do the best they can, imitating gymnasts as much as one can on non-gymnastic equipment. 

Through calisthenics, alot of the people in these communities have adopted an identity which promotes the development of their own health and builds a certain awareness for the rest of the people-you don't need a gym to be fit, you don't need a gym to be healthy, you don't need to get involved in drugs or in bad business to succeed..Calisthenics in certain cultural domains has an impact on certain disadvantaged communities and that's what it's all about. The amazing thing about gymnastics, is that you train with your body weight as opposed to external weights, working towards the mastering one progression to reach the next, always having an end product idea of what you eventually want to achieve-it teaches you striving towards achieving short term goals through consistent effort and applying oneself; while simultaneously focussing on and working towards a bigger long term goal.
For those less disadvantaged communities such as calisthenics in California or generally places where the social context isn't as harsh, street workout still promotes the same ideas, but people are just less driven to achieve because they don't feel the need to do so. When life is good, we become complacent to some degree. 

That being said, If one would compare gymnastics to calisthenics, gymnastics is way more efficient as it has a longer history, more time to have been optimized, adapted and readjusted and creatively developed into the beast of a sport it has become. But alot of the times the level achieved be many of these elite athletes reaches a standard which is way beyond reach for most of us, so we do what we can with what we have at that specific moment in time.

As long as forums and resources such as this forum exist and Coach Sommer's products are available to the public, one can be sure that, if time is invested appropriately and focus is deliberately directed toward a specific goal, one can speed up the process of learning and performing feats of strength without the fear of getting injured due to poor form or lack of training structure. 

One small, daily task, if it be really daily has the force of a water drop that hollows the stone

• Upvote 2

Connor Davies

Just watched the video.  I love how the guy who does the clapping planche pushups has to come back with some elbow wraps on.  Just goes to show how little joint preparation is involved in street workout.

• Upvote 1

Michaël Van den Berg

Birzie -

No one is missing 'the point' here. I am pretty sure everyone here respects these guys (street workout community) for their achievements. But this is a GST forum and while I enjoy every video showing what the human body is physically capable of, you can't deny that whevener someone posts a video like this it comes with some statement about how the impossible is finally achieved (usually implying that they're doing something even gymnasts are not doing). It's getting a little old, that's all :)

Aris Tsangarides

My "missing the point" comment was unfit.. But as I am relatively new to the forum, I haven't yet familiarized myself with what one classifies as outdated. 
Admiration is the daughter of ignorance, and it may be that ignorance that I have not yet immersed myself in GST technicalities and knowledge that led to my unduly enthusiasm. 

• Upvote 1

Michaël Van den Berg

No worries! I hope I did not come across as being rude. I am glad you are passionate about bodyweight training and movement :)

FREDERIC DUPONT

(...) Admiration is the daughter of ignorance (...)

**** soundbite alert ****   :facepalm: 

Of course not!

The more I know & learn about gymnastics, the more I admire gymnasts! :)

• Upvote 1