This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

SLS/PE2-iM Struggling

Started by Shnordle, August 19, 2013 · 6 Replies · 507 Views

Shnordle

I am not sure if it is a flexibility issue or what but after jumping up to PE2-iM I am really struggling to get even one of these down. Once I get past a certain point I can stand up no problem but it requires a lot of rocking/momentum and I don't think that is beneficial in the long run.

Something I want to add is I can do FULL single leg squats. Hamstring to calf, controlled descent and back up again. I only started the Foundation series about 1.5 months ago so I decided to work up from scratch testing etc.

Any advice would be great!

FredInChina
logikos

The twisting squats are rough. One of those posts is originally from me haha. I ended up following Fred's advice and used a slight elevation under my rear end for a while to get my body used to the movement and eliminate pain. I think I'm just pretty uncoordinated too; I felt really unstable doing these for a long time. I just got rid of the elevation this week, and I'm now able to knock out most of my sets with only the occasional mishap. I recommend going slow on these, and as always, listen to your body. Good luck!

Shnordle

Thanks for the info guys. And apologies about starting an unnecessary thread. Need to get better with my keywords when searching  :P

dritar

I always felt the twisting squats were the strength exercise and the cossack squats the mobility/rest.

 

I repeated a micro-cycle specifically because of this exercise and that worked for me. It's part practice with the motion and part strengthening some little muscles in the leg that don't get worked with any other exercise. They'll feel easy soon enough.

PeterSweden

Doing these barefoot on a hard surface is PAINFUL.

 

Today I decided to do them with shoes on, it helped me.

 

Last time I tried them I did them outside on the grass barefoot, that was fine too.

 

I assume gymnasts normally do them barefoot on a somewhat soft surface?

 

It is a fun move to do.

m6shifter

barefoot and soft carpet works. The spin to the left is better than the spin to right. Its been that way for some reason since the day I started this IM. Slow and steady works well for the coordination of this exercise. I wonder if a yoga mat would be better for the spin.