This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

SLS PE2 Heels?

Started by Primate, May 9, 2013 · 3 Replies · 187 Views

Primate

Question on SLS/PE2:

 

Clearly full ROM is required for a good SLS, I did pre- PE1 by doing good old fashioned bodyweight squats focusing on control, low speed and full "Asian toilet" range of motion keeping my heels on the ground.  This gave me the compression that I was lacking for deck squats (limiting my ability to transition from roll to standing without falling backwards).  Now after progressing to SLS/PE2 I find that I can't seem to get much below parallel before my heel needs to come off the ground.  I notice that in the video example, the athlete's heel does seem to slightly lift from the ground at the end of the movement, but far less than mine.

 

Should I focus on doing the exercise to the limit of my ROM with the heel on the ground, or am I better off focusing on getting my thigh down to my calf even if it means a heel lift, which will hopefully reduce with time?

 

Secondary question if anyone can help:

 

In SLS/PE2, the iM is my limiting factor.  My knees seem to complain with the volume of the twisting squats, so I need to pare back the volume on these and build up slowly.  Can anyone offer some pointers to think about better control so that I don't hurt my knees?

Jon Douglas

Hi Primate! NIce to catch a Perth Gbodies member :)

 

Regarding the twisting squats, the cue that made the biggest difference for me was beginning with a lean forward (from sitting position) to help get my feet under me. With a little more practise, the push up can be initiated without a lean at all.

 

Regarding PE2, my opinion is to bite the bullet-- keep heel on the ground, and get to correcting it and acquiring that ankle flexibility as early as possible.

CraigR

Hey Primate.

Charm said:

Hi Primate! NIce to catch a Perth Gbodies member :)

 

Regarding the twisting squats, the cue that made the biggest difference for me was beginning with a lean forward (from sitting position) to help get my feet under me. With a little more practise, the push up can be initiated without a lean at all.

 

Regarding PE2, my opinion is to bite the bullet-- keep heel on the ground, and get to correcting it and acquiring that ankle flexibility as early as possible.

That's a nice cue for the iM from Charm.

 

I focus on 3 things with this movement; hip hinge (i.e. lean forward) bracing ankles and pushing knees out.  I find this keeps me balanced and with my weight on the edge of my feet to begin.

 

For PE2, I think in general it's better to work with good form and then try to improve your ROM, rather than working with full ROM and trying to improve your form.

 

Having said that, I coach myself and I have a fool for a student so I've tried a few different methods.  :-)

 

In addition to the methods above (working full ROM with heel raised or partial ROM with foot flat), have you tried using a light weight to counter-balance?  I've only used that method for actual SLS work and not PE2 but it could be worth a try.

 

Also, definitely check out Kit's ankle mobilisation and stretching videos if you haven't already.  I can't remember if he went over the ankle stuff at the seminar or not but I've had some good success with it.

Jon Douglas

Oh, and in another thread people suggested using mats to sit on, with feet on the floor, which can then be gradually lowered. That's sort of foolproof, but I guess it depends on how much assistance you need.