This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Twisting Squats...

Started by taenkarth, February 10, 2013 · 15 Replies · 986 Views

taenkarth

Question about SLS/PE2>iM - Twisting squats

I have tested through all levels and can perform all iM for all of the levels for SLS.

However....

Twisting squats I can never seem to end up in a complete 180 back to back. I think its some kind of foot positioning issue.

Would it be better to provide a video so you can see what I mean? Just wondering how important it is to end up facing 180 degrees from start on each repetition.

Thanks!

thanners

A video might make it clearer what you are doing..  How far off are you, though?

taenkarth

Sorry was at competition all weekend. I'll try to get a video of them this evening to post up here. Essentially I'm off about 5-10% each repetition.

 

Thanks!

IcedDante

While we wait for that video allow me to hijack this thread with some other twisting squat questions. First of all this appears to be one of those Ims that is harder than the movement itself,anyone else having the same experience? I recently failed the mastery test for this reason, although I realized afterwards I was doing double the number of reps required because I thought two twisting squats was necessary for one rep.

Since then I am incredibly sore ... I can hardly walk! It's really tender by the glutes and I was wondering if someone could explain the "idea" of the twisting squat and the movements intention.

Thanks

taenkarth

I still haven't filmed this thing yet...Sorry!

 

However, I have since started having no trouble getting the movement correct each time. That being said I continue to have to stop because the outside edge of my foot becomes irritated after a few sets and the edge hurts. Muscles are fine though I do feel a bit of tweaking on MCL area of my knee as I descend but I'm severely bow legged so I think that's why.

 

My guess would be mobilization of the IT/TFL bands and strengthening of the Gluteus Medius and Hip Abductor complex. Along with a dose of ankle mobility and strengthening. That's my guess anyway...  :)

IcedDante

I had the same problem with the irritation from keeping so much weight on the edge of the foot. For me it was focused on the pinky toe and adjusting the position of my feet slightly helped this.

Keilani Gutierrez

they don't call this Conditioning for nothing! :P

dritar

I also feel that Cossack Squats are a breeze when compared to the Twisting Squat. Evil, evil move. 

 

Should I worry that I can't do it as fluidly as Coach's Athlete or it'll get better as I practice the movement  ? Not only is the movement harder for me strength wise to do 10 times (harder that the Cossack Squats) but also I'm having a bit of trouble "getting" the movement down.

 

Also, I have to use shoes in my gym and I feel that I can't spin as cleanly as it's supposed to as sometimes my feet drag. I have no problem getting up though, it's in part where you are spinning and going down that my movement is a bit "bumpy".

prinny

Definitely agree with dritar.  I have the mastery of the strength part down, but my coordination with the twisting squat is a little spotty. I tend to stumble here and there.

Jonas H

I am also having issues on the twisting squat, guess everything has its reasons for being in the book/course. But I`m looking forward to the next step :)

dritar

Personally I think this is a movement that will respond well to GtG. I'll try this for the next few weeks of this cycle.

 

It's one of the harder movements for me strength wise and coordination but maybe it's the unfamiliar nature of the move that makes one waste strength. Atleast I hope so, since those ten reps between the sets of cossack squats make me long for the cossack squats :).

Jonas H

Try leaving one or two inches room between your ankles and push your knees out as you ascend, helped me alot today :)

Keilani Gutierrez
taenkarth said:

Sorry was at competition all weekend. I'll try to get a video of them this evening to post up here. Essentially I'm off about 5-10% each repetition.

 

Thanks!

depending on how wide your feet are, will also dictate how you come down and how you set yourself to get back up. so when that video is done, the distance between your feet can be adjusted accordingly :)

dritar

These felt much easier today. One just has to keep at it I suppose. 

 

Do you guys do it with shoes on ? I find it near impossible to twist smoothly as after getting up my feet drag and I don't spin smoothly, so it's kind of a non graceful move going back down.

Crunluath

This  move is just as much about coordination as it is about strength.  Remember the opening passage in F1 about Gymnastic Strength Training™ being in large part increasing one's neuromuscular coordination.  This is good example of requiring fluid application of strength and flexibility.  Just because you have the strength and the flexibility does not mean that you will immediately be able to adeptly combine them into a nice movement.  This takes practice.  For this move in particular, it really helps if you focus on both lowering and pushing up off the ground on the outside edges of your foot.  Also, I find that if I lead the twist slightly with my torso that the movement comes out much prettier.  Being barefoot or at least not in thick soled tennis shoes will make life much easier. 

Anze Merh

I quickly noticed that the move is much, much easier when you focus on completely relaxing the groin area.