This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Beginning F1 - Suggestions and more

Started by federicoC, August 18, 2013 · 391 Replies · 12,091 Views

Bipocni
federicoC said:

Thanks Bipocni, but I think for a beginner it's actually not the case. It took me time to fix my crawl and now I'm almost sure I'll need to start from scratch again. This should happen in 2 weeks. I hope to get back to GST asap, i.e. as soon as I get rid of this cold.

I meant long term.  If you're going to be training for decades, a couple months doesn't seem like much by comparison.

federicoC

OK, so today I started my training for this year. I considered useless the 3/4 sessions I made in Jan, and I believe my infection regressed to a point I can safely train while clearing it out completely. Hope to be right.

 

I did F1, particularly

>FL/PE1 4x36s, Im 4x5r

>sPL/PE1 4x9r, Im 10r

>HBP/PE1 4x15r, im 10r

>no space to hang rings, hence I did pull ups from dead hang 4x3r clean form, Im 30"

>SQ, just practicing with an OL bar x10x2s, x6x3s

>BP, bar x8x2, 30x5x3

>Stretching: shoulders, lower back, hips

 

I entirely focused on breathing, and I believe did a good job. I introduced squat (SQ) and bench press (BP) where I applied the same principle. For the time being I simply would like to do some very easy volume and catch up with the form. It's a very good setup to enforce learning of proper breathing.

 

My BW dropped from ~73.5 to 71.1 this morning over the last 6-7 weeks. I also have to say I'm currently working a lot these days.

federicoC
04.02.14-F1

 

>ABH 4x24s+Im

>Tuck ups 4x9r+Im (6kg)

>Deck Squat 4x9r+Im

> Band pullaparts, monster-mini x 12/15x5

> Face pulls, 20x20x3

> BP, bar x8x2, 30x5, 40x5x2 **too heavy, could not breath correctly

 

06.02.14-F1

> HBH 4x36s+Im

> Scap shrugs 4x9r+Im

> Inclined PU 4x15r+Im

> Hinge rows, 4x12r+Im

> Chin ups, 8x2r

> Negative chin ups, 4x1r

> SQ, bar x8/10 x some sets

> SLDL, bar x 10x2

 

07.02.14-F1

>ABH 4x24s+Im

>Tuck ups 4x9r+Im (6kg)

>Deck Squat 4x9r+Im

> BP, bar x8x2, 30x6, 32.5x5x5

> Lat machine, shoulder grip, paused (5") 30x10, 35x10, 40x10x3

> YTWL circuit, 1x10x4; Plate raise 5x20x3

> Stretching: calves, hamstrings, lower and middle back

Iguanus

Good to see you getting the grips again =)

 

It was your topic that motivated me to create my workout log too (albeit I have to post on it, but the vídeos are all online already!).

federicoC

Thanks Iguanus, but let's see - I just started again. I wish you way more success than I had so far with this stuff.

federicoC
09.02.14-F1 (@home)

 

> HBH 5x36s+Im

> Scap shrugs 5x9r+Im

> Inclined PU 4x15r+Im

> no rings, Chin ups 2x5r + Pull ups 2x3r (both from dead hang) + Im

--------------------------

> BP, bar x8x2, 30x5, 35x5x3

> SQ, bar 8/10x3

> one arm KB curl x10x3 without rest

> Calf raise, bar x reps

> Stretching: piriformis (seated version), lower and middle back.

 

Implementing correct breathing on both GST and accessory work. It's still going to require some time, but at least on the F1 movements I have the feeling I'm doing it right. Every rep is solid so far. As I hollow way more than at the beginning of my F1 experience, I suppose it's going to take longer to be done with PE1. However, the fact that with rocks I could not exceed 15/20 good reps for week has been a clear hint that something was wrong.

 

Take home message: evaluate mastery carefully.

 

No doubt my barbell training will always be limited and must be performed easily, but I feel as if getting back to this type of movements is going to be helpful on the long term. Not sure how to explain that so far. Need to spend more time on stretching.
Bipocni
federicoC said:

Need to spend more time on stretching.

 

Don't we all...

federicoC

Most likely we do ;)

 

Warmed up with light face pulls, Kroc's and elliptical. Then

>ABH 5x24s+Im
>Tuck ups 5x9r+Im (6kg set 1, then moved for the first time to 7kg)
>Deck Squat 5x9r+Im
--------------------------
> Band pullaparts, light band x 12/15x5
> Face pulls, 25x15x3
> Kroc's rows, 18x6x3 no rest
> Stretching: calves (wall), hamstrings (hamstring stretch and standing stretch), floor piriformis, quads, upper and middle back
federicoC

Nothing. Other 40 days passed by. My mycosis is resistant to common anti-mycotic drugs. I have now to wait for a culture, which will take one month. My skin is constantly irritated, and it's difficult for me to train. Not mentioning that I can't swim, I also manage to do at most 1 GST WO per week and lost most of my progresses on the way. Hence, I will need to start back from scratch again.

federicoC

I suppose, I should repeat testing of mastery for PE1 on all elements and decide where to start from.

Bipocni
federicoC said:

I suppose, I should repeat testing of mastery for PE1 on all elements and decide where to start from.

This makes sense, but if you still can't train with the proper frequency you may have to do it again in the future.

 

I know this is frustrating for you, but nothing lasts forever.  In a couple years time you'll be breezing though the progressions no problem, and you'll barely even remember this right now.

federicoC

Thanks for the support. I appreciate.

Yes, you are right. I might now be able to set the right pace now. One issue is also that I cannot ride/run, and swimming is out of question at the moment. In principle, it would not be a problem for me, but it's not respectful for other swimmers so I'm waiting to clear out the infection entirely. Following the recommendations of my dermatologist, I did one systemic treatment and one local treatment that has been prolonged for roughly 2 months. However, there is still a residual infection that seems to be resistant to the latter. From this comes the suggestion to perform an in-vitro culture with characterization of the strain. It is common that a "tinea cruris" can take months to resolve. However, I'd really like to know how I got it in first place.

 

Is there anyone that has a good suggestion on how to:

1) get some cardio/aerobic work done in my case?

2) give back some size to my legs, somehow how would you complement SLS work? Currently I can barely manage to get 4 sets of 9 reps of deck squat done. 

 

I really need to start again from the beginning, but at least at the moment all past issues are resolved and I'm looking forward to a better second part of the year.

Bipocni
federicoC said:

1) get some cardio/aerobic work done in my case?

2) give back some size to my legs, somehow how would you complement SLS work? Currently I can barely manage to get 4 sets of 9 reps of deck squat done.

I take it any leg based cardio is out of the question?  So cycling wouldn't be an option....

 

Handstand wall walks?  They gas you pretty hard.  I also find high rep deadlifts tend to make my heart feel like it's going to explode, so that's an option you could explore....

 

Barbell work would really be the best way to work your legs if you can't do anything cyclical like running, swimming whatever.  Squats, deadlifts, RFESS are my go to moves....

federicoC

So the situation is as follows:

 

- cycling and running out of question. Epididymitis resolved, yet not recommend for me to go about this two.

- swimming recommended, but now I can't until I kill this fungus

- hiking recommended, I did it last week but you understand it's not something one can do every day and does not cope well with time constraints :)

- walking recommended

- in the gym, I use the elliptical trainer. This is a smooth machine, and I can use it.

SoyeBoy

Hey Federico. I have been following your thread since you started it and just wanted to wish you all the best with your training and a speedy recovery.

If it's any consolation, I reckon that you will have mastered SLS/PE1 before me!

 

Suggestions for cardio could be some punchbag work, or I've also seen skiing machines similiar to concept II rowers that don't require you to sit.

federicoC

Thanks for your wishes, I really appreciate as I appreciate this community. You guys rock.

 

After having tested my current level, today I did the following

 

FL/PE1 4x24s + Im 5r

sPL/PE1 4x12r + Im 5r

HBP/PE1 15r + Im, PE2 4x6r + Im 5r

RC/PE1 4x6r + Im 30" ***using the new video as template, these got more complicated. Especially, I didn't yet get at what height I should do them

 

Some rings oriented work, couple of sets of RTO support, dips + RTO, tuck L-sit, neutral pull ups ***nothing dangerous, I need something I can to relax a bit. 

Front squat 4x6 just with bar/very low weight to reintroduce the movement, leg extension 20x10, 30x10x2

 

H1 session, there I have plenty of work to do.

Now the important thing will be to be able to record a video of my current form, and to keep doing this work.

federicoC

Incredibly, I could do a second session :)

 

SL/PE1 4x12s + Im 5r Here I decided to take my time. Now I have to improve my ROM, a lot. Which exercise would you recommend? We already touched on this topic, but it would be nice to get some further input. In the warmup, I'm doing this "bridge" exercise from a more advanced Im.

MN/PE1 4x12r + Im (5kg set 1, 6kg set 2-4) I have the feeling that I'm there with the windmills. A video will tell

SLS/PE1 4x12r + Im 5r By looking at the sample video I realized my form was not entirely correct. I was not swivelling my hips, I was moving my knees.

 

Rings oriented work: RTO support 3x5-10", dips + RTO 2x3r, tuck L-sit 3 sets, neutral pull ups 2x3r

 

H1 session.

 

Stretching: Kit's wall calf stretch, hamstrings and piriformis. Need to talk to him to see how to proceed with this in a better manner.

 

As I said, this weekend I will try to record some element.

Looking forward to your input

Bipocni
federicoC said:

......leg extension 20x10, 30x10x2......

WHOA whoa whoa.  What the shit is this?

 

Sorry bro, can't let you get away with using machines like that....

federicoC

That is a machine that complements the rest of work for the week. Nothing more, nothing less :)

federicoC

Yesterday I did my first "cardio" session since my stop. I have the chance to use a decent elliptical. The advantage of this machine is that, unlike a treadmill or simply running, the feet are always in contact with a surface.

 

I used a ramp program for 25' (level 5/10), starting from level 5. I had a 128 average BPM and max of 149. Starting collecting data. Now I need to be consistent and have at least a session per week dedicated to this type of work to start with. I want to rotate between different possible activities.

 

I concluded with 3x10 calf raise and stretches from Kit: calves, quads, hip flexors and back. 

 

Tomorrow it's time for another F1 workout.

Bipocni
federicoC said:

.....I concluded with 3x10 calf raise.....

Okay.....

 

You know calf raises are counter productive if you want to have any hope of setting decent run times right?  They pretty much just train your calves to pump themselves up, which is bad for LSD, and calves work pretty much the opposite way of a calf raise when it comes to running...  Something about the SSC.

 

I know that all sounded really vague.  Whatever, if you just want to look good or you have shamefully tiny calves or whatever, keep doing your thing.  I'll stop telling you you're doing it wrong, because I'm here to inspire you dammit!

 

BTW what kind of distance/time were you doing on the elliptical.  Just for the sake of posterity.

Mark Collins

Calf raises are the best exercise for tendon rehab though. So it is more than likely they help prevent Achilles tendonopathy.

federicoC

Bipocni, please, you can write whatever you feel like. You are actively contributing to the discussion here and there is no restriction from my side on this, let's keep the discussion as open as possible.

 

That said, I do calf raises because I have ridiculously stiff calves. I feel that doing calf raises before Kit's wall calf stretch helps a lot with the ROM I can achieve there. In addition, my calves are deactivated and lack proper muscle tone, a long standing problem which also affects the mobility of my hamstrings and lower back.

 

For the distance I covered on the elliptical, I don't remember to be honest. If I'm not wrong it was about 10km. I'll pay attention to it, and you are right it's an important parameter.

 

Coming back to my sessions, last Friday I did:

FL/PE1 4x24s + Im 5r

sPL/PE1 4x12r + Im 5r

HBP/PE1 15r + Im, PE2 4x6r + Im 5r

RC/PE1 4x6r + Im 30"

 

Rings oriented work **as always I take it easy

RTO support 2x10"

Dips + RTO 3r,2r

Tuck L-sit 2x10

Pull ups 3r

Chin ups 3r

 

Front squat bar x5x2s, 30x5x3s

Kit's stretching

 

Whereas yesterday I did

SL/PE1 5x12s + Im 5r Again, I have to improve my ROM, which exercise would you recommend?

MN/PE1 4x15r + Im (6kg)

SLS/PE1 4x15r + Im 5r brutal. On the skiers I have the feeling I'm improving my form.

 

H1 session, I have to open a thread in the H1 forum, I need to ask couple of things there as well :) Perhaps tomorrow, need to continue working now.

federicoC

Today I did a cardio session.

 

Elliptical, same settings as last time. Average BPM 135. I could do more than 10km, the machine does not provide a report at the end so I can't quantify exactly. I can only say that overall it has been easier than last time, which is good.

 

Concluded with 4x10r calf raise, focusing on the ROM, and Kit's wall calf stretch, hamstring and lower/middle back stretches. I have the feeling my hamstrings are starting to loosen a bit.

federicoC

Yesterday F1

FL/PE1 4x36s + Im 5r **solid, but tough

sPL/PE1 4x15r + Im 5r **yes, these look good and I'm confident I'll test mastery

HBP/PE1 15r + Im, PE2 4x9r + Im 5r **no buffer at all, breathing was correct although I paused on some reps at the top

RC/PE1 4x9r + Im 30" **this new version is way more difficult than what I did to pass mastery earlier on. My forearms were crying.

 

Rings oriented work **as always I take it easy

RTO support 2x10"

Dips + RTO 2r,2r,1r

Tuck L-sit 2x10s

Pull ups, 2x3r

 

Front squat bar x5x2s, 30x5, 35x5x2s

Kit's stretching: hip flexors (didn't get this movement right yet I suppose) and seated piriformis

 

Today

H1

Calf raise 4x10r

Kit's stretching: a long and relaxed wall calf stretch. I figured out that if instead of placing my hands on the wall I do it by grasping a stall bar, the stretch intensifies and I feel it more in the calf. Why is that, I don't get it? Does it have to do with the fact that my back is bend at two different angles in these two different setup?

upper and middle back stretch.