This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Beginning F1 - Suggestions and more

Started by federicoC, August 18, 2013 · 391 Replies · 12,091 Views

federicoC

Wow, today it's been quite hard

 

SL/PE1 5x12s + Im 5r

MN/PE1 4x15r + Im (6kg) ***I recorded this one, I'll upload it soon. Stay tuned.

SLS/PE1 4x15r + Im 5r ***brutal. I was finished. My conditioning has to improve. It has to.

 

Chin ups 5x3r

Kit's stretching: hamstrings, floor quads, floor piriformis, piriformis

federicoC

Please let me know what do you think about my tuck ups and windmills. My opinion is that on both elements I improved substantially. 

 

 

Thanks!

Keilani Gutierrez

I'll trade you my wrist pushups for that hip flexor mobility. tell me your secrets.

federicoC

Hey Keilani, happy to see you back on board as well. 

Wait a second, I think my hip flexor mobility is quite bad. Isn't it? Where do you see the opposite?

To prepare my hips I always perform some set of the dynamic frog stretch you showed me once, it's awesome. Thanks once again.

 

I'm still trying to get Kit's stretching for hip flexors working, I don't feel anything in my hips at the moment, today I will try again - I watched and read everything carefully and I want to try at least the first part of the stretch.

 

Do you think I can achieve mastery if I keep this form next week? That would be awesome, as I read that PE2 is highly demanding and I know already my hamstring flexibility can't take the straddle.

federicoC

Today I started with a good mindset. That payed off. 

 

F1

FL/PE1 5x36s + Im 5r **solid, improving. Let's see next cycle what happens

sPL/PE1 5x15r + Im 5r **mastery test, I think I did quite well.

HBP/PE1 15r + Im, PE2 5x9r + Im 5r **better, this was tough

RC/PE1 5x9r + Im 30" **I should record this, I want to make sure I'm doing it right. I will try to bug the "boss" to install some ring hooks in the gym, I'm fed up there's no space to lay for this element :)

 

Rings oriented work **as always I take it easy

RTO support 2x10"

Dips + RTO 2r,2r

PB L-SIt, 2x10" To my GREAT surprise, I get a solid one. Parallel, with knees locked, i.e. Chapeau Kit! I'll keep moving on with hamstring stretches.

Pull ups, 3r, 2r

 

H1

 

For Bipocni (was not planning to)

Leg extension, 20x10, 30x10, 35x10x3

 

Kit's stretching: hip flexors (getting better), floor hip stretch, mid/upper back

 

I completed this in 85' sharp.

federicoC

Today I dedicated a session to stretching. I'm not satisfied with how it went, however.

 

Calf raise 4x10r

Stretching: Kit'swall calf stretch (getting better), hamstrings, piriformis (seated and lying versions) and lower, upper and middle back.

 

Tomorrow testing mastery on MN/PE1 and Im, and on SLS/PE1 and Im. On the latter, my skiers are improving. I will see if I manage to record the latter pair as well.

federicoC

Today was the most demanding session since my comeback.

 

SL/PE1 3x24s + Im 5r **phew, that was close to failure. My arch started deteriorating after ~18s. A jump from 5x12s to 3x24s is huge!

MN/PE1 5x15r + Im (6kg) ***same form as in the video above. Can I claim mastery?

SLS/PE1 5x15r + Im 5r ***brutal, I confirm. Since I think my skiers (and my GPP) will benefit a lot from another cycle of this, I will repeat the last mini-cycle before moving on. 

 

Rings oriented work **as always I take it easy

RTO support 3x10"

Dips + RTO 2r,2r

Pull ups, 2x3r

 

Kit's stretching: floor quads, single leg hamstrings (I don't get this right, feels awkward so far), floor piriformis (with care&patience for long holds), middle back.

federicoC

Yesterday I felt completely trashed :)

Today it was better and I could do my cardio session.

 

Elliptical, same settings as last time, 25'. I covered 15.1km with an average BPM of 132, max 156. I conclude that I'm improving.

Calf raise 6x10r

Kit's calf stretches

 

Then I did H1.

federicoC

Yesterday was the last session of the microcycle.

 

F1

FL/PE1 5x36s + Im 5r 

sPL/PE1 5x15r + Im 5r **I claim mastery, I will move on. Felt solid and with some rep left in the tank. The Im was good IMHO, arching the lower back really helps.

HBP/PE1 15r + Im, PE2 5x9r + Im 5r 

RC/PE1 5x9r + Im 30" **Again, not sure how this was. First of all, I felt pain deep in my shoulder. I think some H1 movement (?) kindly provided an inflammation of my rotator cuff. The problem that I have at the moment is that I can only record my form if no one is around. Being close to summer, all these "fitness champs" want to get ready for it and the gym is seldom empty. Any suggestion on what I can do to treat this pain? I'm now entering the deload week luckily, so it might resolve if I take care of it.

 

Rings oriented work **as always I take it easy

RTO support 3x10"

 

Legs

Front Squat, bar x5x2, 30x5, 35x5, 37.5x5x2s

 

Kit's stretching: lower/mid/upper back

federicoC

First deload session (F1+H1)

 

SL/PE1 3x12s + Im 5r **I had a good ROM. I now always warm up with preparatory elements for the brigde, and this is paying off.

MN/PE1 5x8r + Im (6kg set 1, 7kg set 2-5) ***using this time to work on compression, getting the feeling that is getting better and better.

SLS/PE1 5x8r + Im 5r

 

No rings oriented work today, wanted to preserve my shoulders.

I did some work on PB instead. After some warmup, I did 3 sets of: 2 x (PB support hold + 1 dip + L-sit)

Chin ups, 3x3r

 

H1, deload session.

 

Kit's stretching:

-wall calf stretch (twice on my right leg)

-hamstring stretch (squaring/aligning hips is a cue I'm implementing and makes a big difference)

-floor piriformis (twice on my right side)

-half pancake stretch, got to first basic position

-backward bend from floor (pulling shoulders backwards to activate lats is something I'm implementing and makes the stretch more effective)

-middle/upper back

 

Felt really relaxed after this, very good feelings. The shoulder pain is still there but seems less than yesterday.

federicoC

Today it really felt like a deload session, and that is what I needed


 


F1


FL/PE1 5x18s + Im 5r 


sPL/PE1 5x8r + Im 5r


HBP/PE1 15r + Im, PE2 5x5r + Im 5r (4kg)


RC/PE1 5x5r + Im 30" **Got it. I watched the new video carefully and realized shoulders are aligned with the rings. Now it makes sense, let's see how it goes next cycle.


 


No rings oriented work, preferred to deload properly. I just did 3x3r of neutral pull ups


 


Legs


Front Squat, bar x5x2, 30x5, 40x5x2


Leg extension (for Bipocni) 20x10, 30x10, 40x10


 


Kit's stretching:


-solo quad stretch (tucking the tail is key here)


-hip flexor (from support)


-backward bend from floor


-middle/upper back (clasping the elbows and not the wrists makes it more intensive, and I feel like it shifts the focus of the stretch also)


federicoC

Yesterday cardio session

 

Elliptical, 25' program - same settings as last time.

15.7km, 135 average BPM, 160 max. I'm clearly improving here and I want to go by steps.

 

Calf raise 5x10r

 

Kit's stretching:

-wall calf stretch, more than 2' / leg

federicoC

Today

 

SL/PE1 3x12s + Im 5r **recorded, opinions?

MN/PE1 5x8r + Im (7.5kg) **recorded, opinions?

SLS/PE1 5x8r + Im 5r **Im recorded, opinions?

 

 

Rings oriented work - limited

-RTO support 3 sets

-Dips + RTO 2x2r

 

-Chin ups 3x3r

 

Kit's stretching:

-hamstring stretch, my video here: 

-lying piriformis

-backward bend from floor (pulling shoulders backwards)

-middle/upper back

jaz

SL/PE1 : Bring your deltoids to your ears, you will gain a bit of ROM.

MN/PE1 : Join your knees together all the time otherwise you avoid maximal compression

federicoC

Thanks. On the SL/PE1 my experience is the opposite, if I open my arms more I go get more ROM. Wrong?

On the MN/PE1 instead, if you read previous posts (might be from last year) you'll find out why it is not possible for me to keep my knees together, although I substantially improved.

Thanks!

federicoC

Yesterday I did H1. I recorded different elements, see my discussion in the H1 forum.

Today I'll rest, ready for the first WO of the new microcyle, due tomorrow!

federicoC

Recorded quite some elements from my session yesterday. I will post it tomorrow.

Any suggestions, especially on new PEs?

 

 

Thanks a lot,

Fede

federicoC

OK, now I have some time to report about my last workouts. You find questions embedded in the log.

 

On Sunday, I did

 

F1

FL/PE1 4x48s + Im 5r **suffering  a lot. Check to video above to see my form. I compared it to what I used to do previously - some months ago - and I do see a clear difference. However, I'd like to have your opinion on that.

sPL/PE1 15r + Im 5r, PE2 4x different holds between 30-50". **Here if I compare with the sample video, I see that my lower body - e.g. my butt - is way higher than the reference. Any opinion?

HBP/PE1 15r + Im, PE2 4x10r + Im 5r (4kg) **the program was 4x12r, but I want to build on this and I decided to do 4x10r

RC/PE1 4x12r + Im 30" **Recorded as well (see the video above). After the last rep of the last set I almost fell on the floor, finished :)

 

Rings oriented work limited to RTO support 4x10"

Did some easy work with DBs

 

Today instead I did

F1

 

SL/PE1 4x24s + Im 5r **This is my current level. Over the last 2-3" of each set I was starting loosing my ROM but I fought against that

MN/PE1 15r + Im 5r (7kg) PE2 5x5r + Im (just a light bar, feet on the floor). **PE2 is brutal. I was surprised I could keep my legs straight in the straddle position and I could touch the floor with my hands inside my legs. However, I lack compression and my legs - perhaps were just my hip flexors - were cramping like crazy. A proper warmup is required before this, I'm thinking about introducing Keilani's straddle leg lift here. Also, how do I keep my current level or even improve on PE1 and especially on the windmills? It looks like one set is not going to be enough, no?

SLS/PE1 4x12r + Im 5r **Im improving, the aim is at mastering this pair by the end of the microcycle.

 

H1: everything nice! I'll report about it in the other forum.

 

Kit's stretching

-hip flexor

-solo quad stretch

-backward bend from floor, up to mid-level stretch with straight arms

-middle/upper back (clasping the elbows and then wrists)

 

Thanks a lot, I'm looking forward to you posts especially on the videos above!

gohei_
federicoC said:

Recorded quite some elements from my session yesterday. I will post it tomorrow.

Any suggestions, especially on new PEs?

 

 

Thanks a lot,

Fede

I really like your sPL/PE1. I am having serious trouble keeping a straight bodyline like you do.

If I were you I would probably take a slight pause at the top of your hinge rows, it looks like you are kinda bouncing straight back down again.

federicoC

Thanks, I worked a lot on that - but correct me if I'm wrong - I remember reading that it is not strictly required to keep a straight body line on PE1.

 

Instead, as tomorrow I have to repeat PE2, can someone tell me if my body line is correct there? To me it looks like I'm not doing it as in the sample video but I'm not able to understand whether it is because of different body proportions or because I make a mistake.

 

Today I did my cardio session on the elliptical

-15.8km in 25'

-138 average bpm, 165 max

 

Calf Raise 5x10r

 

Kit's stretching

-Wall calf stretch 

-Single leg hamstring stretch

-Floor piriformis stretch

-Seated piriformis

-Middle/upper back

gohei_
federicoC said:

Thanks, I worked a lot on that - but correct me if I'm wrong - I remember reading that it is not strictly required to keep a straight body line on PE1.

 

Yeah that's right. But I think my body sags way too much though, it looks pretty awful.

federicoC

OK, then it's definitely something you can work on and I'm quite sure it pays off to fix it for later elements.

 

Today:

F1

FL/PE1 4x48s + Im 5r **when I train at the gym, I have the feeling I have much better visual cues than at home. These sets were quite convincing

sPL/PE1 15r + Im 10r, PE2 4x48". **I think I got it. I fixed the position of my butt by playing with my feet placement. I ensured a strong protraction, and kept it. Seems a very nice exercise. Felt heavy on my upper back, and a little on my abs - most likely because it was done after HBH, I suppose. The Im is awesome, I was close to have cramps. In working on building the maximum ROM is it better to further move the leg sideways once extended or to it beforehand completely?

HBP/PE1 15r + Im, PE2 4x10r + Im 5r (4kg) **happy about this.

RC/PE1 4x12,12,10,8r + Im 30" **Followed your suggestion of holding it at the top, reps dropped but felt great. Here I have the feeling that positioning rings couple of cm higher/lower makes a big difference - making this exercise more or less demanding, respectively.

 

Rings oriented work limited to RTO support 4x10"

 

Kit's stretching

-Upper/middle and lower back

federicoC

Yesterday I did the H1 session, today instead I rest. I have a lot of work to do and I'm finding a good compromise.

I'd be very happy to discuss with you guys. However, it seems I'm overwhelming you with questions :)

federicoC

F1


 


SL/PE1 4x26s + Im 5r **Instead of the 4x36s - the jump is non-sense in my opinion - I moved from 24" to 26". In the last two sets, I was already moving down from the max ROM when time was over. Hence, I think I chose the right duration, and now it's matter of getting to 5 sets.


MN/PE1 15r + Im 5r (7kg) PE2 5x5r + Im (light bar, feet on the floor). **I'd be very happy to receive suggestions on how to approach PE2 at best. I already read a lot of topics, all very helpful, on this forum. I'm doing 5 sets of 5 reps because I want to get used to the movement. It felt better than last time, I can touch inside with my hands and keep my legs straight. However, I've no idea on the compression I can handle right now. I WU using the dynamic frog stretch and some sets of straddle leg lift, two sets of windmills as always with low weight, and few reps of PE1 before starting.


SLS/PE1 4x15r + Im 5r **I'm there with the skiers. Working capacity is increasing on SLS. Aiming at mastery now.


 


H1.


 


Kit's stretching


-solo hip flexor (this one: 


)

- first time, felt great


-lying piriformis


-floor piriformis


-solo hip flexor, again, to see how it feels after stretching the piriformis


-backward bend from floor, up to mid-level stretch with straight arms - I substantially improved on this stretch and I can relax in the top position now.


-middle/upper back


federicoC

wow, got great sensations from yesterday. However, today I was quite tired.

I did a cardio session, as usual on the elliptical, but starting at level 3 (instead of 5). I could get out 16.0km in 25', with rpm values in the 64-70 range.

 

Then I did

calf raise 5x10r

 

Kit's stretching:

-wall calf stretch

-single leg hamstring stretch (no CR, only limbering)

-solo quad stretch

-upper/middle back