Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Program evaluation, suggestions & how to make workouts shorter?

Federico Comoglio

Connor Davies

What charm said.  Both the prerequisites and the Killroy70 workout are created off the back of Coaches knowledge.  Killroy read a book.  Coach wrote that book.

F1 isn't exactly a one-size-fits-all program.  You will be working at a level appropriate to you in each exercise.  There's wiggle room in the warmup if you need extra work in previous elements.

At the very least with your program, instead of a combined push-pull day I would have a high rep day, focusing on building up endurance in the smaller muscles that cross the joints.

Federico Comoglio

First, thanks a lot for having had the patience to go through it.

One thing I'd like to clarify. While I certainly agree with Christian, I disagree with Vincearoo. Killroy is not precompiled, it tells you based on known concepts what you have to work on, not what you have to do (element x set x reps). Otherwise, putting this in a PLing context, you may think Westside barbell is precompiled and you could not be more off than that :). If while you are training your deadlift (DL) you struggle at the knee cap level, then WS concepts will bring you to considering pin pulls of band assisted DL, not to, say, deficit DL. The same is true here. Scheme and reps for the ME (max effort) will be decided mostly by you, according to your daily feeling which when developed is a tremendous tool to skyrocket your progresses.

Finally, let me add a second clarification. I did not say that I will not test mastery for the PE1 elements in F1. My post was on organization of the WO. In principle I believe it would be possible to add work on top of F1. Although it can not be considered exactly as pre-FSP, it could be complemented with some FBS work, depending on the day. Maybe I just attempt mastery of the preFSP and of the first F1 elements and then we discuss it. It makes more sense to do it when one has the data.

Let me remind you - this is Gymnastic Strength Training™, not Westside Powerlifting. 

If you're going to add work to F1, then make F1 your main workout and do the extra stuff as play.

You're not going to get any help with your routine from the fellas here because Foundation is simply the best thing you can be doing, and to not do it when you have it doesn't make any sense.

Federico Comoglio

OK, so I simply did the folllowing. I went to the gym and performed day 1 (4 days/week basis) of F1, with PE1 elements. Attempted to master, to see what my level is. But I think I can not write about it here, correct?

Definitely you are right, one can fit extra work but the WO as such has to be the main as it is very intense. I will follow your suggestions.

I'd say mostly it should be work for the legs, particularly hamstrings/quads in my case.

Gymnastic Strength Training™ or Westside Powerlifting, sport is based on exercise physiology, which is in turn biology, which ultimately is science. 

Connor Davies

With Killroy you simply plug in the relevant progression from BtGB, which is missing a lot of the earlier progressions that have now been included in F1.

F1 is obviously adaptable.  You work at your level, and if you run into any problems, you can post a thread around here.  You'll get a ton of suggestions.  Also no-one is saying that you must stick to the specific set/rep schemes laid out in F1.  If you struggle to make your reps for the week, you can simply progress at a slower rate.

The best part about it is the warmups, which can allow you to work on previous elements in order to get an even more well rounded workout than just the elements you're currently working on.

F1 is complicated, despite how simple it looks on the surface.  I've had significant hip flexor and hamstring work from the side lever and manna progressions, despite the fact that they should be a core exercise.

A lot of people around here (myself definitely included) thought that F1 wouldn't be enough work and added some more on top of it.  They quickly changed their minds :lol:

Although personally, I'd love to hear that you were training F1 with Westside barbell on top of it...

Let's make it clear that we are all giving you the best advice as we know it. Our experience is that F1 is the way to go. No one is criticising your experience or your approach on any other basis :)

That said, if you are not following the course, then there is only so much help that you can expect from fora built to support that course. While we can help you with understanding individual elements for eg, we can't help your programming or progress if you choose to put it together yourself.

No other reason why you shouldn't do your own thing. I would really recommend you prioritise mobility at this stage however, maybe go above and beyond the reps

Federico Comoglio

A lot of people around here (myself definitely included) thought that F1 wouldn't be enough work and added some more on top of it.  They quickly changed their minds :lol:

Although personally, I'd love to hear that you were training F1 with Westside barbell on top of it...

Ah ah, sure! :)

I will simply proceed as you guys suggested. I'll discover along the way what complementation I can use, if required etc. Got a very good feeling during my training today. I mastered all PE1 but one. Also got decent mobility drills. This however did not come for free. In any case, I'd like to stick with this set of elements for 1-2 weeks at least to get used to the intensity, even if in some element I got the mastery set/reps scheme. It cannot hurt. I'll open a thread in the protected forum to discuss couple of things.

Thanks,

Federico

Federico Comoglio

Let's make it clear that we are all giving you the best advice as we know it. Our experience is that F1 is the way to go. No one is criticising your experience or your approach on any other basis :)

That said, if you are not following the course, then there is only so much help that you can expect from fora built to support that course. While we can help you with understanding individual elements for eg, we can't help your programming or progress if you choose to put it together yourself.

No reason, other than that, why you shouldn't do very well with this approach. I would really recommend you prioritise mobility at this stage however, maybe go above and beyond the reps

I do appreciate what you said and suggested. Thanks! As I said, I will stick to F1, and see if there is some need for additional work on the way.

• Upvote 1

Connor Davies

I do appreciate what you said and suggested. Thanks! As I said, I will stick to F1, and see if there is some need for additional work on the way.

Most of us do additional work as well as F1.  Extra cardio and stretching/mobility work is encouraged.

In case you haven't seen this: https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/topic/12635-is-the-dynamic-physique-real/?p=122657

In the future, there will be 4/5 separate programs all worked together simultaneously, depending on your master of previous elements.  I don't think many people will be complaining about a lack of work by the time they get to that point... ;)

Federico Comoglio

I do swimming 2 days per week, with 4 of F1 it will be 6 days of WO per week, which for me (used in the past to this for PLing, including AM/PM splits) is fine. In swimming at the moment I will mostly do technical work, I am progressing quite well and I believe that it greatly helps mobility overall.

Stretching (static) is also part of every WO of mine.

Thanks.