Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Getting Started on the Back Lever - Palms Facing Down

alihanyildirim

alihanyildirim

Hi GymnasticBodies Community,

I have a few questions about the Back Lever which I want to start training and also to work on some progressions but I am not sure where to start. So from my research I have devised a list of progressions that I think would help the back lever development and will greatly appreciate some help, tips and advice based on individual experience with training the back lever.

So here is what I have come up with.

German Hang

5x30s

Skin the Cats

5x5

Tight Tuck Back Lever Pull-Outs (3 Second Hold at Bottom)

3x5

Open Tuck Back Lever Pull-Outs (3 Second Hold at Bottom)

3x5

Half Lay Back Lever Pull-Outs (3 Second Hold at Bottom)

3x5

Back Lever Holds

5x5s

Back Lever Pullouts (3 Second Hold at Bottom)

3x5r

So what do you think of these progressions and numbers? Do you think they are realistic? If anyone has a solid back lever how long did it take you to prep the bicep tendon to turn the palms so they faced downwards and how did you progress? Any advice would be great. 

Thanks

Bill Köhntopp

Moin Aly,

i'm currently not able to do a full back lever, still working the full back lever with knees bended.

But i really commend you to train both, the pushing back from the back lever progression you're in to the inverted hang AND let off from inverted hang to falling down in form of full back lever, but as slowly as possible. 

Another advice from my side, do not get to much in this theoretical thing with making plans for months with exact repetitions and so on, just train and go your own way. your body will not follow numbers :)

I read on many sites, "the back lever is really easy"..."at most it will take you 3 months"...and so on, i started to get disappointed, 'cause it wasnt working like that in my case. But its still getting forward every training, but very slow..maybe because i'm 1,85 m long, but other exercises work better for me, so i can do rto dips since last training. 

Just my thoughts and hints.