Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Handstand training

Cud

Hi all.

I'm currently learning how to do a handstand I use the wall as spotter. My max hold is 8 sec.

But I'm unable to do a handstand push-up so how can I manage my trainings.

How many sets and reps of negative HeSPU or box HeSPU should I do to begin.

I'm able to hold a tuck planche for almost 20 sec and a headstand for 15 sec.

Sorry for my poor english

Karri Kytömaa

Get HS1 and start your way to mastery. 

More to the point, work on mobility and add volume to your HeS.

FREDERIC DUPONT

(...) What's does "Add volume and work on mobility" mean in concrete terms ?

It means that all you need to reach your goals and progress is already in H1 :)

Biren Patel

Working on mobility means working on your ability to move your joints freely through full range of motion. For handstand, this is open shoulders, full posterior pelvic tilt with ribs in, open hips, strong wrists, etc..

H1 will help you, but you can totally work with what you have until you can buy it, if you even choose to buy it. It's a good product. There is stuff on the internet still to help you out in the meantime. Yuri, Yuval ayalon, and miscellaneous youtube tutorials that preach good form. You can also browse through the old stuff on this forum, there is plently of material to help you with handstand pushups, handstands, and headstands. BtGB is a good resource too. There is also material from FEDEC that you can download. And, I think HeSPU would actually be covered in F1, not H1.

It means that all you need to reach your goals and progress is already in H1 :)

Get HS1 and start your way to mastery....

The answers on this forum are getting ridiculous. Forums are to help people by answering their questions in a multitude of ways that provide meaningful input, forums are not solely for advertising one product. If we want everyone to say "buy the foundation series" we might as well close down the public forums and post up a gigantic banner on the home page telling people to shut up and buy f1. And IMO the answer for everyone is not buy F1 and H1. As someone who works at a McDonalds and was broke for a year, and had to sell F1 for a few months for food before I could repurchase it (even telling friends that I didn't like the product to save dignity), I think we should actually attempt to answer people's questions with something that is not just blatant advertising but with a little bit of help that they can apply straight away.

• Upvote 9

Joshua Slocum

The answers on this forum are getting ridiculous. Forums are to help people by answering their questions in a multitude of ways that provide meaningful input, forums are not solely for advertising one product. If we want everyone to say "buy the foundation series" we might as well close down the public forums and post up a gigantic banner on the home page telling people to shut up and buy f1. And IMO the answer for everyone is not buy F1 and H1. As someone who works at a McDonalds and was broke for a year, and had to sell F1 for a few months for food before I could repurchase it (even telling friends that I didn't like the product to save dignity), I think we should actually attempt to answer people's questions with something that is not just blatant advertising but with a little bit of help that they can apply straight away.

Many people find this forum through search engines or by reading a copy of BTGB, and aren't necessarily even aware that F1/H1 exist, or that they have the information they want. It's not unreasonable to suggest purchasing one of the courses, especially since they are specifically designed to hold your hand through all the progressions. 

Now I'd agree that a good response should include more than just "buy H1". A good response should answer the OP's questions and provide reasons why H1 would be a good investment. 

• Upvote 1

Daniel Burnham

There is a difference between pre and post Foundation series forum. Before we had a ton of people who thought they knew what they were talking about and only a few who actually knew what they were talking about.  Now we have an absolute guide.  It seems reasonable to recommend that people take a look at it because it is the best source.  There have been several times when there has been a circumstance that meant the OP could not afford the program and people have answered accordingly.  

I also wonder how you sell an ebook.  Especially one that is given through online access through your email.

• Upvote 1

Keilani Gutierrez

Add volume means you need to accumulate more time within your sets and from the sum of your sets. So instead of 3x15 HeS, which is 45 seconds, Flameous is saying add more volume. I.e., train up to 5x60 seconds HeS, which is 300 seconds of volume. Quite the difference, right?

Working on mobility means working on your ability to move your joints freely through full range of motion. For handstand, this is open shoulders, full posterior pelvic tilt with ribs in, open hips, strong wrists, etc..

H1 will help you, but you can totally work with what you have until you can buy it, if you even choose to buy it. It's a good product. There is stuff on the internet still to help you out in the meantime. Ido portal, Yuval ayalon, and miscellaneous youtube tutorials that preach good form. You can also browse through the old stuff on this forum, there is plently of material to help you with handstand pushups, handstands, and headstands. BtGB is a good resource too. There is also material from FEDEC that you can download. And, I think HeSPU would actually be covered in F1, not H1.

if you can find a reasonable way to point people towards material without breaching contract, then do so. I was working 4-6PE's and 5-7 iM's ahead of my current abilities set out by H1. 

if you can also, in good nature, give advice about a program that -you- decided to sell in whichever way you saw fit, then slandered the program to save your face, then it has become a question of dealing with what you really do need "to grow" and that is the reason that, if i can be so audacious to point out, is why WE-ARE-ALL-HERE. 

if you stepped into this forum it's because you wanted to take your physical and mental body to another level and simply because you're in a process of learning how to be a productive citizen on this planet should give you no right to be frustrated by your own short comings and by result, try to ruin the experience for someone else.

I purchased the program with thousands of dollars pending investment or recycling in my business to reach certain personal goals, because I -understood- the value of not only education, but THOROUGH education. this is why I promote the program you so want, because it -works-. I'm on PE 1 for a lot of the exercises and i'm approaching mastery on one of the Front Lever progressions, did a strength test and it turns out i can do a half decent Body lever negative for 10 seconds. THAT is why I promote F1. you don't to save face? when did you get the idea that anyone here gives a brass fart about where you -are- in your life? what we really want is to see everyone grow and that includes you in the mix. 

now get back to work at becoming a decent man and once you have dealt with your personal matters prize yourself with whatever you have set out as a goal to work towards, -THIS- is the progression you should master right now. 

until then, don't s#&t in the very place you want to eat, especially if you're welcomed with open arms, professionalism and with friendliness, when a bunch of us here didn't even have a clue on how to start a journey like what is GST in the first place. 

• Upvote 1

Keilani Gutierrez
I apologize that it was received as a scold, I am actually more concerned because I've been in your spot(now that you've given more detail, it's definitely apparent that i identify with your situation) the ways of writing things down without tone or facial expressions really loses the authenticity of the way I am feeling for your situation and I can see how my communication lead you to receive it as such. 

you are right in the way that some people just throw the one liners and I should have not been so quick with my words without first sharing it. today, I learned something very big from a mature person as yourself and hope that one day, we can truly shake hands.

I also apologize that you received the "becoming a decent man" so personally. I meant it for real. you're in a process and that's what we're all here for, as i said earlier. 

you are very right to feel the way you do, because it's how i felt as well, on the other hand, i had hands stretched out for me telling me the truth, that i had to grow. so i'm here saying to you, i know it's hard to put aside what's going on presently, but you are going through this to facilitate what you have clearly demonstrated today, that you are a decent human being. 

I look forward to continuing our friendship and hearing about how you've surpassed this stage in your life and gained a higher mental stamina to do your work on this planet. :)

again, I apologize that the message wasn't received how I hoped to have transmitted it. I need to improve on that.

edit: a lot. 

• Upvote 1

Coach Sommer

- Better, but let's still take it down a notch, gentlemen.  Agreement is not necessary here on the GB forum; but civility in disagreement is.

- The reason that F1 and H1 are constantly recommended is that they are the most applicable tool for the situation of people beginning GST.  As many forum members have continued to demonstrate many times over the last few months by sharing the stories of having made their best GST progress ever by following these courses.  

I have very firm opinions in matters of training.  Perhaps it will help if you better understand my background and where I am coming from.  As a long time Jr National Team coach, everything I do in the gym is based on getting results; the best results possible.  When you are responsible for preparing your athletes to represent the USA, there is neither the time or the luxury of engaging in wishful thinking.  There is no place for second best options.  

At this time, in my opinion F1 and H1 are the very best options available available for adult GST students.  Are they perfect?  Absolutely not.  These are 'living' courses and will continue to grow and improve.  However the fact remains that they are our best options and as such will continue to be strongly recommended.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

• Upvote 7

FREDERIC DUPONT
(...)

The answers on this forum are getting ridiculous. Forums are to help people by answering their questions in a multitude of ways that provide meaningful input, (...)

Yes, I agree, it looks that way sometimes & replying with "look into H or F" only is a bit dry...

Yet, telling someone to take a look at H&F is a great answer because indeed I believe that Coach has put out the best options for adult students.

It is also a means to incite them to take a closer look while avoiding giving away very specific details about the programs - there are already plenty of well written posts that explain many facets and advantages of the programs - you mentioned them yourself; these posts are well within a minute search & 15 minutes spent reading the fora.

One important aspect of Coach Sommer's way of teaching is to give pointers while refraining from spoon feeding - I agree with this way of doing things; One method for us to make sure we avoid that "spoon feeding", is to only help people that first help themselves...

Giving a couple of pointers to a new member with 2 posts is a good "economical" way of finding out if she will make the effort to use the search function and try to find out more by herself... If she does, great, I am willing to spend more time discussing with her and try to modestly help. If she doesn't, why bother expending time and energy with her? She just showed she needs hand holding; this attitude won't carry through the F & H training process & she'll drop out. When she is ready, she will be back and we'll start again!

I am giving you this answer because you took the time to explain in great details where you came from and where you are at at this moment; I thank you for that - it is always difficult to do so in an articulate way, and you succeeded magnificently. I hope we get more opportunities to interact in the future. :)

• Upvote 2