Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Foundation series : Lack of stall bars

Ales Glas

Coach Sommer

Use a smith machine, adjust the height of a bar in a power rack, use an old ladder etc.  When working with the Recon Marines we used a children's ladder on a piece of playground equipment.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

• Upvote 3

Use a smith machine, adjust the height of a bar in a power rack, use an old ladder etc.  When working with the Recon Marines we used a children's ladder on a piece of playground equipment.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

One ladder is too narrow, is it not? I would probably need at least 2.

Guest SuperBru

One of the only good uses for smith machine really.

Oh and don't forget about breaking your back as well. That's one of the other uses for a smith machine.

Guest SuperBru

Initially you can be creative and find substitutes, but over time it will become necessary to invest in either gaining access to a set or buying/building them for your apt/home in order to continue progressing in the Foundation series.

I will say, however, that I have been performing F1 for over 3 months now and only use them for 1 exercise that I could find a substitute for.  Once I progress past these early exercises though, that will not be the case.

That is not necessarily true. Where do you think people will find the money to buy such equipment? I can easily do manna work at the park and will continue to do so throughout the F series.

Guest SuperBru

Depending on what kind of ladder and how well you fix it to the beam that would probably work at least up through F1.  You do get at 30 day money back return period if you decide you can't make it work with what you have...

No offence but are you seriously kidding me? Not having the right equipment does't mean you won't be able to do the F series. There will always be substitutes you just have to be creative. 

Eric Heiden

That is not necessarily true. Where do you think people will find the money to buy such equipment? I can easily do manna work at the park and will continue to do so throughout the F series.

I suggested that one would need to invest in either gaining access to or buying/building stall bars.  I did not say invest money - although that is a perfectly legitimate investment to solve the problem.

It sounds to me, for all intents and purposes, that you have invested time and effort in finding a correct substitute for stall bars, which falls in line nicely with what I suggested would need to happen to be successful in the program.

As far as your second comment - am I kidding you about what?  

That a ladder would probably work through F1?  No I am not kidding you.  

That you get 30 days to decide if you can make the program work for you with what you have?  No I am not kidding you about that either.

There is also this:

- While you can certainly find substitutes that are sufficient for the short term; for the serious GST student stall bars are an irreplaceable piece of equipment.  

My athletes use the stall bars everyday.  GB Seminar students also spend a great deal of time on the stall bars.  In the past I have had as many as 12 stall bars in the gym.  My current facility only has room for four stall bars and I dearly wish I had room for eight.

- You can build your own for as little as $75 following plans from the Equipment section of the forum, or purchase stall bars from a variety of vendors on the internet.

Regardless of which direction you go, in the long term stall bars are as essential to GST as rings.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

• 1 month later...
FREDERIC DUPONT

Yeah, that's perfect :)

For some movements, you'll need to add some sort of support (or partner) to push your shoulders a bit forward and prevent the lats from taking over the strain, but otherwise, you are good. :)