Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Total Beginner any and all help/advice welcome

Brendan Lynch

Brendan Lynch

Hello GB community,

I am brand new here and have always been interested in strength training.  After reading many of the forum posts about F1, H1, and BtGB and hearing about the results that accompany the training/workouts, I decided I am definitely going to begin here.  I have decent strength and a weight lifting background.  That being said, I have no experience at all with gymnastics or any of the movements involved (I'm sure no flexibility either) and was wondering which of the three guides (F1, H1, or BtGB) I should begin with.  Also, what equipment is essential to progressing in the program?

Any advice on the matter is welcome and greatly appreciated as well as any other general tips.

Thanks!

Connor Davies

Definitely Foundation 1.  Handstand 1 is more of a skill training guide, although it is designed to be trained concurrently with the foundation program.  BtGB is fascinating, but was always criticized for confusing new trainees, which is why it has been replaced with the foundation program.

As for equipment, I'm not sure off the top of my head, there's a thread somewhere around here, but I've heard people say you can get by with mostly a pair of rings hanging from a doorframe chinup bar.

I'll see if I can find the list for you. :)

Edit: Here we are.

Stall bars

Rings

A bench

PB for dips

Pullup bar

Barbells for mobility (10-20lbs)

A low bar for the early PU progression

Not needed:

A rope

Apparently everything is substitutable except for the weights...  I think you're going to have to buy the program and have a look to see what you really need... 

Mike Taylor

"Definitely Foundation 1. Handstand 1 is more of a kill training guide"

^^. What he said, except that H1 won't turn you into a ninja assassin

moderator edit: Post corrected to read 'skill training'  :ph34r:

• Upvote 2

I would get Foundation 1. It starts at the VERY beginning. Coach and Cory Fair have also been working on a "workout schedule", so all you have to do is plug in what level you're on for each movement, and it will tell you exactly what to do. I feel like I am getting stronger and more flexible.

As for equipment, all you need is a dumbell (~10 lbs) and a chin up bar that you can somehow get down so it is about 2-3 ft off the ground (I use a barbell on a rack). You should not regret the purchase.

Chris Haldeman

Definitely F1.  It's specifically designed for beginners with no experience in GST.  Also, other experienced members have commented on its effectiveness.  

Equipment's been covered, but all I would like to add is pay particular attention to the form in the elements and also the rest protocol. 

Welcome to the community

Timothy Aiken

GUESS WHAT I'M GONNA SAY!!! The foundation series is the best. So is the handstand series. But to add to that, something I did and that many beginners do is sacrifice form for the sake of being able to say "I can flag!" or "I can planche!". Don't be that guy. I snapped my joints up bad through doing that. Now that I have been working form and mobility through F1 and H1, my movement is cleaner, more efficient  safer, and much better looking.

So yeah. Get F1 and H1 if possible, but regardless WORK THAT FORM!!

Connor Davies

moderator edit: Post corrected to read 'skill training'  :ph34r:

Maybe it will turn you into a ninja assassin after all? :eek:

Brendan Lynch

Hey all,

Thanks for the advice on F1! I have bought and started the training associated with it.  However, I noticed a lot of people have finished it when the full program is 84 weeks.  I know you can skip some exercises once you master them and if you are already able to do them.  I can do this for some but I really don't want to skip over the iM associated with each exercise.  any advice on how to do this effectively?

Thanks again!

Connor Davies

I think there's a requirement for each level.  If you meet that for both the strength AND mobility work, move on to the next one.