Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Integrating Foundation 1 w/ One Arm Pushups, Pullups, HeSPU's

Mitchell Rabushka

Mitchell Rabushka

Clearly most people myself included have big holes in their basic GST...thank you Coach for Foundation One.

Pre-Foundation One I developed some skills like One Arm Pushups (3x6), Pullups (3x12 to chest / no kipping) and Headstand Pushups (4x4 against the wall) all twice / week. My numbers may not be impressive by gymnast standards, but still I don't want to loose these skills and at the same time I don't want to over train (I've gotten a little wiser). So I am wondering how would someone integrate some other basic strength skills like those I've mentioned into weekly workouts with Foundation One?

• Upvote 1

Jaros?aw Ruszkowski

Choose a F1 workout plan, do those workouts and if you feel that there's still some energy to do other bodyweigth movements -> feel free to train those excersises after main F1 workout. And check your progress, if there's any thought that you're not improving, train F1 only. 

• Upvote 1

Joshua Slocum

Any short term losses on those areas will be more than made up for in a matter of months. I wouldn't bother training those at all: the foundation carryover will more than make up for it.

If you feel you absolutely must keep working those skills, do a single set twice a week. That should be enough, combined with foundation work, to maintain what you have and then some.

• Upvote 2

Mikkel Ravn

I have the same issue as the OP, to an extent.

Loving every minute of F1, and looking forward to each WO, but have the patience of a spoiled kid...  :)

I am not worried about wall HesPU's, because I know the strength will be right back at the same level after 2-4 sessions, should I decide to do them.

However, before beginning F1 I was working on freestanding HesPU's and partial straddle bowers, and the quality and volume I'm able to do now is declining. Not a huge problem, since I'm fairly confident that the foundation series will eventually include these exercises in a much more clever way than I'm able to program them.

These exercises are as much about skill as they are about strength (correct me if I'm wrong?), and they carry over pretty well to my static HS, so I would definitely like to maintain those skills though.

Would it be a good idea to incorporate one or two sets of 4 or 5 reps prior to every F1 upper body session? Low-rep, limited volume  work like this doesn't tire me like those massive sets of pushups in HBP/PE2.

I've found that doing the four day F1 schedule, and adding a fifth day dedicated to freestanding HS bent-arm strength is not enough to maintain the skill level.

Edit February 2014: I am simply following Foundation and Handstand series now, and have dropped all the fluff. I am back at a level where 'the fun' slowly begins again, and just don't see any reason to include other stuff. The more I focus on course work, the quicker I'll be where I want to be.

Mitchell Rabushka

I have the same issue as the OP, to an extent.

Loving every minute of F1, and looking forward to each WO, but have the patience of a spoiled kid...  :)

I am not worried about wall HesPU's, because I know the strength will be right back at the same level after 2-4 sessions, should I decide to do them.

However, before beginning F1 I was working on freestanding HesPU's and partial straddle bowers, and the quality and volume I'm able to do now is declining. Not a huge problem, since I'm fairly confident that the foundation series will eventually include these exercises in a much more clever way than I'm able to program them.

These exercises are as much about skill as they are about strength (correct me if I'm wrong?), and they carry over pretty well to my static HS, so I would definitely like to maintain those skills though.

Would it be a good idea to incorporate one or two sets of 4 or 5 reps prior to every F1 upper body session? Low-rep, limited volume  work like this doesn't tire me like those massive sets of pushups in HBP/PE2.

I've found that doing the four day F1 schedule, and adding a fifth day dedicated to freestanding HS bent-arm strength is not enough to maintain the skill level.

I have the same concerns as you, but maybe for a different reason.  Coach is obviously telling us the right way to do things; however I'm 52 years old so I'm worried about getting stuck on either some of the strength or mobility drills and years passing before I'm back at my current skill level.  True, I know I have massive holes as for as GST goes, but I'd like to at least maintain my current skill level while I build things the Foundation's way.

Above you'll see Hari_Seldon suggested that to maintain my current skill level for the three exercises I mentioned in the title of this post I should perform a single set twice / week before my Foundation One training.  This sounds interesting.

• Upvote 3

Joshua Slocum

For morale purposes it's a good idea to occasionally include some supplemental exercises that you are proud of, or find more fun, or consider more directly pertinent to your long-term goals. The meat of your strength training should still be foundation (and possibly handstand) work; the supplemental exercises you do should be low enough intensity and volume that they don't interfere with your progress. I would expect one set a few times a week to be enough for developing skill, and unless you're doing something particularly exotic, foundation will be building all the strength you need. 

It's also important to make sure that you're adequately prepared to safely practice whatever skill(s) you're supplementing. Iron cross work would be inadvisable if you're still working on F1. 

• Upvote 2

Joshua Naterman

Clearly most people myself included have big holes in their basic GST...thank you Coach for Foundation One.

Pre-Foundation One I developed some skills like One Arm Pushups (3x6), Pullups (3x12 to chest / no kipping) and Headstand Pushups (4x4 against the wall) all twice / week. My numbers may not be impressive by gymnast standards, but still I don't want to loose these skills and at the same time I don't want to over train (I've gotten a little wiser). So I am wondering how would someone integrate some other basic strength skills like those I've mentioned into weekly workouts with Foundation One?

Any time someone has skills they want to hang on to, assuming that form is good enough to consider them as proper execution, there's nothing wrong with putting a practice set with nearly full volume at the beginning of 2-4 workouts per week. That's one set, and not to failure, as a part of your warm up.

I would limit yourself to one skill per movement plane (horizontal press, H. pull, vertical press, v,pull) so that you don't end up losing focus. So, one set of 12 pull ups, one set of 5-6 oapu per arm, one set of 4 HeSPU, then go do Foundation!

Then you go do your regular work.

This way you focus on what is important, your Foundation work, without wasting time or effort on things that are detracting from overall long-term results, and you get to maintain the strength you have developed.

You wil probably notice that those warm up sets get easier as time passes. Try to resist the urge to do multiple sets, or to turn those sets into a second workout. Keep the reps steady, and focus on Foundation. If you find that those sets become ridiculously easy, then you should know that Foundation is taking you further down the road of strength, and that there is no need to add more. What you are doing is working.

I think this will be your experience.

• Upvote 10

Mikkel Ravn

Thanks guys.

I feel priviliged to be part of this forum, BtGB really is a package like no other  :) .

• Upvote 3

Mitchell Rabushka

Thanks Joshua, great explanation.  With that strategy I'm off the fence and onto Foundation One.

• Upvote 1

• 10 months later...
Mitchell Rabushka

When I started Foundation 1 the work load was relatively light because, according to the Foundation template, I started with the easiest progressions first.  Hence at the beginning I was able to maintain working my old skills along with learning the new F1 skills.  As I worked my way through the F1 progressions I hit a wall on all 7 GST.  At this point it became too difficult for me to practice both my old skills that require total body high tension like One Arm Push Ups and at the same time give 100% to the new F1 skills which I was struggling to learn.

I felt like I was using up some of my capacity trying to maintain my old skills which was interfering with learning F1.  Realizing that F1 was finding and eliminating a lot of weaknesses in both my strength and mobility and that the Foundation Series along with the Handstand Series will make me a lot stronger and more mobile than I had ever been in my life I decided to forego practicing my old skills because they were an unnecessary distraction.  I’m sure I will pick up my old skills without dedicating myself to them just by sticking w/ the F and H Series and be better off in a million and one ways in the end.

Keep in mind that I am 52 years old, I work full time at a desk job that entails some stress and I am taking evening classes in college to earn a Bachelors Degree in Information Systems so I don’t always get enough rest.  If I was getting more rest things might be different, but things are what they are; hence the reason for my decision…go Foundation and Handstand go!

• Upvote 5

• 6 months later...
  • Coach Sommer unpinned this topic