Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Optimal landing technique?

Oldrich Polreich

Oldrich Polreich

Hello

What in your opinion is the most optimal landing technique to use on hard surface? Now when I say optimal, i mean optimal for the joints (minimizing impact), not optimal from gymnastic standpoint. 

I come from parkour/freerunning background and common rule here is "not more than 90 degrees knee angle" (with roll to dissipate remaining momentum). This is usable in some situations, but not in most (jumps for precision being the fine example). I've been thinking a lot about squat landings - landing on extended legs , than squating (properly) and touch hands to floor to dissipate kinetic energy. I've put this to a test and it felt very different from typical landing, more natural and smooth. 

My knowledge in the field of biomechanics is limited and that is why i post this here. To get suggestions whether or not is this a good idea to develop. As i mentioned earlier, aestetic quality is not my goal here, function is.

I'll be very glad for every opinion

Thanks

Karri Kytömaa

It sounds you have bit of a mix up. The point is that when you roll, you shouldn't bend the knees beyond 90 degrees essentially because it's a sign you are drastically changing forward momentum to downward momentum and you don't want to do that - in general that is, there are some styles of rolling, sideways for example where it is preferable to bend more. However when talking about drops/jumps where we land spot on, it is extremely important to land all the way down. You can think of it like that all the time you are bending in your knees you are slowing down with muscle and when you stop, your bones and tendons take the hit. 

For precision jumps it also very important for balance and if performing them high, also safety.

• Upvote 1