This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Shaking

Started by Murija, February 20, 2013 · 85 Replies · 13,636 Views

P5yx

that may seem like a stupid question but i was wondering how shaking is exactly defined here.
coach mentioned that you have not mastered an element if you shake. so what is ment exactly by shaking? a little shake while breaving in FL/PE1 means you haven't mastered the element?

or does shaking mean you have bigger movements in your element which shouldn't be there.

i'm sry if this question is dump...

Adriano Augusto

Don't overthink it:

 

Extreme shaking: your body looks like it has parkinson. You've not mastered the PE not even close.

 

Normal Shaking: Your fibers are strong, but not strong enough to the element. You've to work more on it, but you're close.

 

Cero shaking: thin shaking at some moments during certain sets or nothing at all; mastery approved.

FredInChina

hehehe, like Adriano Flo said, if we can see it, you're done! :D

Doddibot

I feel like I'm never going to pass FL/PE1. I am able to do 4x48 seconds right now, but I start shaking within a second or two and keep shaking throughout every single set. Always have, and I feel like I always will.

pogo69
Doddibot said:

I feel like I'm never going to pass FL/PE1. I am able to do 4x48 seconds right now, but I start shaking within a second or two and keep shaking throughout every single set. Always have, and I feel like I always will.

If it makes you feel any better; you're not alone.  More than with any other movement, I begin to shake at some point during FL/PE1

 

But improvement, while painfully gradual, is coming.  I'm choosing to take the long view.  When I started, I couldn't do 5x60s; it has taken a couple resets to where I can now get through sets 1+2 without shaking; it may take several more resets before I can truly claim mastery.  But how much stronger will I be at the end than at the start?

 

I noticed after my first full cycle, that my legs were too close to my hips (didn't have 90deg angle at knee); making it easier than it should have been.  Perhaps you could play with similarly increasing leverage for a cycle (or mini cycle) to ease your way into it a little?

Nash

Hello,

 

Since shaking in H1 also means no mastery (like in F1), I thought I'd share my struggle here in case someone has any insights (it's quieter in the H1 forum than here.)

 

I'm about to repeat week 11 of HS/PE7 (5x30s) for the 7th time because of shaking in my arms, so I decided to film it to try and spot something.

 

To my surprise, in the videos, no shaking is visible. I used good lighting and 1080p res. Below is a close-up and an full body.

 

So I'm a bit confused now. Should I move on to the next element, or keep repeating this until I don't feel the shaking at all?

 

http://youtu.be/l9_MwAqASOE

 

http://youtu.be/ket4k8OFDEM

 

 

p.s: My original question in H1 forum: https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/topic/12636-shaking-in-h1/

P5yx

Your shaking is minimal. I think it's ok to move on!

Michael Borregaard

A question regarding shaking: When I do FL/PE1 (BHBH), I have intense shaking on the first set, but then the shaking subsides in the remaining 3-4 sets (and is replaced by a nice intense burning instead). So it seems to me that this shaking should not be caused by duress, but maybe rather some poor technique?

fitwell
Michael Borregaard said:

A question regarding shaking: When I do FL/PE1 (BHBH), I have intense shaking on the first set, but then the shaking subsides in the remaining 3-4 sets (and is replaced by a nice intense burning instead). So it seems to me that this shaking should not be caused by duress, but maybe rather some poor technique?

It's possible that your CNS was not quite warmed up for the first set, then got in the groove for subsequent sets. Maybe take a little more time to ramp up to the first set in your warm-up.

Michael Borregaard

Thanks, I'll try that. I may be a bit too cursory with the warm-up, I usually just do a few minutes of jumping jacks and then get going. Any good suggestions for core warm-up?

fitwell
Michael Borregaard said:

Thanks, I'll try that. I may be a bit too cursory with the warm-up, I usually just do a few minutes of jumping jacks and then get going. Any good suggestions for core warm-up?

I would normally say warm up with a set of the previous PEs, but you're on #1 so that's out. I like 5 mins of light rowing on the C2 erg to get my blood flowing, and you'll notice the catch position on the erg looks remarkably like FL/PE1. But that's me. You'll have to experiment and find what movements/volumes/intensities work for you as a warm up.

Here's a video of what I'm talking about. www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_zmJYQ5URw

Keilani Gutierrez

if you include some of the iM's you're currently working on(german arm swings, standing hip circles, cat cow, swivel hips, skiers, add in some arm circles, I do prone leg lifts and some arch lifts) 

 

I live in a warm place, so my warm ups are pretty condensed to move around tissues all over the body, so you can do this a few times and the cat cow will prep your spine as well, if you compress, you can warm up the abs (I do this during the PE, no idea if thats needed)

Michael Borregaard

Thanks, that is good advice. I like the cat, so I will try to compress there.

Keilani Gutierrez

hope it serves you well ^_^

 

I've kept swivel hips in my warmups and they've been picking up momentum for a while now. 

kim391

I did F1/PE1, Day1, Week 1 today.  I knew that I would struggle because I have never done this before so went into it with an open mind and being mature (58) doesn't make it easier.  I do have a question though.  I am having the most difficulty with the Hinge Row.  Again, I am not expecting it to be easy but was wondering if there is some kind of cue or visual I could use to get my hips to hinge first or is it all practice.  I'm sure there are lots of reason why this is happening (very curious) and I don't mean to over simplyfy a learning process.  I can hinge fine when doing wt training (ex deadlifts, RDL etc) and I don't expect that to transfer over to this training, but I was surprised that I could not get my hips to hinge first.  Very humbling.  Loving the challenge.

Javier

I started F1 a few weeks back too. I have discovered that for me taking first the position of arms and torso and then placing the legs works better than the other way around as it is shown in the demo video. My feet are then anchored at a proper distance and the angle of my legs facilitates the hinging. Also it helps keep the neck neutral. That's my super novice 2cents. Cheers

Joseph Morris

Something that I don't understand with the shaking: it seems to be impossible for me to avoid shaking with the FLs. I'm on FL/PE3 (straddle hold) and finished the sets for mastery, but with rough shaking the whole time. (If anything it decreases as the sets go on.) Yet with SL/PE1 (ABH), it was brutally difficult to get all the sets but I never had any shaking. What gives?

Derek Colvin

(I'm just starting out here, but) A related observation I've had is that shaking will occur when you are actively flexing your core as hard as possibly. 

 

I can hold a passive gymnastics plank (with proper form) for quite long without shaking (60+ seconds), but if I tense my muscles as hard as I can, (Based on a Pavel Tatsoulin strength building technique of holding plank for 10s with maximum muscle contraction.) I can make myself shake after about 3 seconds.

 

My assumption is that mastery is when you can hold a position perfectly without having to tense your muscles as hard as you can.

Peter Lavoie
Joseph Morris said:

Something that I don't understand with the shaking: it seems to be impossible for me to avoid shaking with the FLs. I'm on FL/PE3 (straddle hold) and finished the sets for mastery, but with rough shaking the whole time. (If anything it decreases as the sets go on.) Yet with SL/PE1 (ABH), it was brutally difficult to get all the sets but I never had any shaking. What gives?

 

Another component of shaking is how you are breathing while doing the exercise. Holding the breath will increase the 'duress' factor on the nervous system, but holding the breath can be a natural reaction to bind the body in a specific posture of strength. When the body holds a posture it can be easier to hold the breath as well. Do you feel your breathing is different during the SL/PE1 than the FL/PE3? Also, those exercises address different muscles as prime movers (or holders), so it might just be telling of where you are stronger.

Joseph Morris
Peter Lavoie said:

Do you feel your breathing is different during the SL/PE1 than the FL/PE3? Also, those exercises address different muscles as prime movers (or holders), so it might just be telling of where you are stronger.

I didn't find that breathing one way or another made me shake in (old) SL/PE1, nor do I find that breathing differently does away with shaking in FL/PE3. I repeated the third microcycle of FL/PE3 three times with no improvement whatsoever in shaking (and some decrease in endurance ability, as well). I had to battle to get all sets at mastery for SL/PE1, much harder than to get all my sets of FL/PE3, and yet I have never had shaking in the former and I have always had shaking in the latter.

Peter Lavoie
Joseph Morris said:

I didn't find that breathing one way or another made me shake in (old) SL/PE1, nor do I find that breathing differently does away with shaking in FL/PE3. I repeated the third microcycle of FL/PE3 three times with no improvement whatsoever in shaking (and some decrease in endurance ability, as well). I had to battle to get all sets at mastery for SL/PE1, much harder than to get all my sets of FL/PE3, and yet I have never had shaking in the former and I have always had shaking in the latter.

So you were not shaking in FL/PE1 but are now shaking in FL/PE3? While these two exercises are similar in having the front core working isometrically to hold the hollow, PE3 requires a different effort from the synergists of the pose. For one, the quadriceps work a lot more as they have to stay contracted to support the weight of the leg and create extension. So the quads will be working hard and the added leveraged weight of the leg will make this more challenging for the core as well. 

Christoph Wahlers

I'm also shaking in FL/PE1. I currently don't know how to fix it. Should I so Week 1 until I can hold it for the required time without shaking or should I do Week 11 until the shaking disappears? I have no problem holding the hold for 5x60s

AndyH

I also have the problem with shaking during FL PE5.

Currently I can hold 5x55secs. 

However, even in the first set, after the first 10 seconds I start shaking.

But if I don't flex my core hard enough, I immediately loose PPT and can feel my lower back leaving the floor.

Didn't have any shaking with the previous PEs, but for the full HBH it's either bad form and no shake, or correct form and shaking almost from the start.

Paul Clay

Sorry for the bump.

 

I've been on FL PE1 for the last 3 months.  I still shake each and every set, despite being able to meet the time requirements without a problem.  Shaking has not improved much, if any, in the three months...  am I really supposed to just hang out on this one for as long as it takes to stop shaking?  Not that this would be a problem, but it seems like moving on to further PE's would probably actually make me stronger, and probably reducing the "duress" that's causing the shakes.  Especially since the next Pe's in the FL series work the same angle on the core.  I can imagine retesting PE after doing the next few PE's and being much better.    If I were my own coach, I think I would have me move on, and retest later to see if shaking had reduced. 

 

An anecdote:  I remember years ago, I was going to Yoga classes all the time and in great shape.  A exercise like FL PE1 would come up, and the teachers would always give me encouragement, as if I was working really hard.  I wasn't -  the moves were pretty easy for me - I was just shaking a lot.