This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Shaking

Started by Murija, February 20, 2013 · 85 Replies · 13,636 Views

Garrick Sevilla

Paul, I'd be curious to see a video of your FL/PE1.  I understand you to be saying that FL/PE1 is relatively effortless for you despite your shaking.  That is definitely not my experience with shaking.  And if it were me, I would stay at 5 x 60s until the shaking stopped.   

Paul Clay

I did say without a problem. I didn't mean effortless. It still takes effort. Though I'd say I could only hold the last set for another 15 secs. I guess my point is that on fl getting rid of the shakes might be accelerated by moving on or instead upping the times past 60 secs. Just doing 5x60 month after month seems inneficient. There's no joint prep going on here or mobility constraint.

Garrick Sevilla

But there should be increasing neuromuscular activation.  For me at least, shaking is a sign that the right muscles aren't firing properly.  And generally, it hasn't been my experience that progressing to a more advanced element when an earlier element hasn't been mastered, solves the perform deficit in that element.  That said, if you don't think 5 x 60s of FL/PE1 is a sufficient stimulus to eliminate your shaking, why don't you try adding some bent hollow rocks post-workout on FL days and doing half the volume on non-FL days?

vinca_minor

Is this shaking obvious when you're on video, or are you just feeling it?    If it's not obvious to an outside observer, then it's probably nothing to worry about.

 

Also, you can always increase the time beyond 60s.   the rocks are going to be in a very similar position for 90-120s, depending on how fast you're rocking, so you may as well run that time out.

Paul Clay

I'd say it's slightly visible in video - the movement somewhat amplified by my shirt, so probably less if I was shirtless! :) .   I'll probably try upping the times a bit progressively and playing around with PE2, like you said.

Vytautas Pilkauskas
Paul Clay said:

I did say without a problem. I didn't mean effortless. It still takes effort. Though I'd say I could only hold the last set for another 15 secs. I guess my point is that on fl getting rid of the shakes might be accelerated by moving on or instead upping the times past 60 secs. Just doing 5x60 month after month seems inneficient. There's no joint prep going on here or mobility constraint.

If I could hold it for 1.25 mastery time in the last set with the proper form, I would move on then.

Daniel Inman

I would be interested in what coach or the moderators have to say about this. Is it simpley if you can hold form and complete the mastery set, then move on? What would be the most effective or efficient means to progress? I know my ego wants to move on!

Alessandro Mainente

Complete the mastery requirements for the 4 sets, and in the last one see if you can do more.

e.g 5x5of pullup.

5-5-5-5-5+ should be the result. with 5+ i mean 6 or 7 reps. this is a good way to ensure mastery on both strength and movement . the result is that on the following exercise you will start in a submaximal situation, rarely you are able to do only one reps of the following element. this will reduce the risk of injury.

Luke Searra

My personal preference to acquire or say I've achieved true mastery without shaking , like Coach Sommers says mastery = no shaking 

William Marler

Ok, I just read through this thread trying to find the answer to the question "How do I eliminate the shaking from my static hold?" (it's now very relevant to my interests). I feel like that hasn't quite been answered yet.

First, it seems "shaking" can be expressed on 3 levels: Extreme, Normal, and Zero (what I'm calling "acceptable"). "Acceptable" isn't seen by an outside observer (or in a video), even if you can feel it. It is not required to eliminate all shaking before declaring mastery & advancing, you just have to have adapted your muscles/CNS to an acceptable degree.

It looks like an answer is partially dependent on the element where the shaking is happening (based on this post):

  • Glute tension stops hollow holds shaking.
  • Glute + hamstring tension stops straddle hold shaking.
  • Abdominal tension and grabbing ground with fingers stops plank/pl lean shaking.

However it still seems up in the air about what to do with respect to hold times & sets. Ideas seem to be:

  • Work up to achieving mastery duration, then do sets at the mastery duration until the level of shaking is acceptable.
  • Work past the mastery requirements in terms of duration; i.e. if mastery is 5x30s, work to 5x40s or 5x50s.
  • After doing a day's workout with the element at mastery duration, work sets/reps of the next level element.

What not to do seems to be:

  • Work at durations shorter than what you're capable of, attempting to eliminate shaking during those durations (e.g. if you can do 5x30s, remain at 4x24s until the shaking is acceptable)
  • Advance to the next element before the level of shaking is acceptable.

 

... is this about right? What should be added/removed from this summmary?

Douglas Wadle

My 2 cents would be...train through the shaking, but no mastery with shaking.  Shaking is clearly a neuromuscular manifestation of insufficient strength.  Therefore you work through it, train through it, and advance despite it, and over time it diminishes.  If you need 5 x 30" for mastery, but your are shaking like a leaf by 30" but it is otherwise easy, move to 5 x 40" or 6 x 30" and keep progressing until you can to 5 x 30" easy, with no visible shaking.  Then you have truly mastered that exercise, and the next progression will seem easy, instead of a chore.