This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Shaking

Started by Murija, February 20, 2013 · 85 Replies · 13,636 Views

Murija

Hello,

 

I'm wondering how to adress the shaking part when training static positions.

Thanks in advance,
Goran

Richard Hamilton

Was wondering the same Goran... my 5th fl/pe1 and sl/pe1 sets get pretty shakey towards the end. I was thinking about continuing until mastery is achieved but then staying with that element till the shaking stops, say 1 or 2 weeks?

I know you can move on if you managed mastery even if you thought you were going to fail. I'd rather have it solid though...

Adriano Augusto

As long as shaking don't break form, it's ok. There are 5 minutes of static position with active rest... its normal some shaking! 

Murija

RIchard, that were my toughts exactly but I'm not sure if it ever stops, specially with higher volume, like Adriano mentioned.

Richard Hamilton

I'll just see how it goes once I've reached mastery. 4th set of fl/pe1 felt way more solid this week than last week so I'm hoping this pattern will continue through to mastery. I'm working 36s holds at the moment... maybe when I get to 5x60s I'll be thinking differently with the aded volume! :)

synchroGENized

I don't know if it actually works or if it's just a placebo effect but this is what we say to kids to stop them shaking (hypothermia and strength related)

 

" your energy is like a pool of lava inside of you, and when you hold a tight body position with everything extended and tightened it's like you're pushing the energy out past the end of your limbs and the tip of your head. Right now your energy is like sparks, it's coming out all haphazard and in flurries, try to send it out like a beam of warm light.  Make sure that this beam of light pushes from your center in a continuous flow, equal in force in the back, front, and sides of your limb/body."

 

From what I understand shaking is when your actitive support and opposition muscles aren't quite co-ordinating right and they get into a sort of reflex loop. So it could be that visualizing like that might help pre-dispose your motor control to co-ordinate better.  Or it could just distract you untill you get better through practice.

 

***Enough sleep, not too much coffee, and decent hydration/nutrition also might help

Coach Sommer

- Shaking is due to the nervous system and musculature being in duress.  

 

- If you are shaking, even if you managed the mastery target in terms of either time or reps; you have NOT demonstrated mastery.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Richard Hamilton

Thanks for clearing that up Coach :)

Murija

Thank you very much for the clarification !

Murija

I have just one more question related with the mastery.
If at week 11 we manage to do the element and we are still shaking where does that put us?
Week 1 for more quality work and smoothing out the neuromusculature or just the last mini cycle - week 9?

Richard Hamilton

I think its probably best to deload on week 12... then run a steady state 4 week microcycle of 5x60s. That should sort out the shaking I think...

FredInChina
Richard Hamilton said:

I think its probably best to deload on week 12... then run a steady state 4 week microcycle of 5x60s. That should sort out the shaking I think...

 

That sounds like a good idea Richard Hamilton :)

Is that the official take on how to deal with reinforcing skill & strength if it is still a bit "shaky" (both litterally & figuratively) at that moment?

Richard Hamilton

I don't know whether that's the official line on what to do Fred... it seems the most prudent thing to do to me though :)

Jon Douglas
Coach Sommer said:

- Shaking is due to the nervous system and musculature being in duress.  

 

- If you are shaking, even if you managed the mastery target in terms of either time or reps; you have NOT demonstrated mastery.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Well, guess I'm re-testing all my static holds to be 100% sure.

Adriano Augusto

Same to me, Charm. I'm working actually FL/PE4 but I know that even I did FL/PE1 with a little shakiness. 

 

There are different types of shakiness or the fact of "shaking" it means that you've failed?

 

Wow, that's big one.

Jon Douglas
Adriano Flo said:

Same to me, Charm. I'm working actually FL/PE4 but I know that even I did FL/PE1 with a little shakiness. 

 

There are different types of shakiness or the fact of "shaking" it means that you've failed?

 

Wow, that's big one.

I've discovered what a 'tight hollow hold' means thanks to this thread. Interesting how much more engaged with the exercise I felt. From soft style martial arts I've the habit of using the least energy/muscles required to perform a movement, particularly a hold. Not right for this. Great balance for the soft training.

 

Lessons learnt this afternoon;

Glute tension stops hollow holds shaking. Glute + hamstring tension stops straddle hold shaking.

Abdominal tension and grabbing ground with fingers stops plank/pl lean shaking.

It also makes them look better, and keep a tight line.

 

This stuff should be obvious, but the holds were straighforward, so once I hit the numbers I misplaced my concerns about form. Small tantrum thrown, ego swallowed and mistake rectified. Hey I've exams next week, I'm a little high-strung.

 

And now, off to work up my Hespus and Lsit before F2 comes out~

5x30 Lsit without shaking??? Hmm.

Murija

Seems my question has been a real eye opener and I'm glad this is getting out because I haven't really seen it explained or mentioned that much,

 

Thanks for all the replies, your experience and suggestions are gonna help alot of folks :)

Geoff

Does shaking in a static hold, but being able to hold it for the set times at the end of week 3 mean that you should start over from week 1 after deloading until you manage to perform week 3 without shaking? Or should you go on with week 5 in order to extend the time in the position?

chobbs
Geoff said:

Does shaking in a static hold, but being able to hold it for the set times at the end of week 3 mean that you should start over from week 1 after deloading until you manage to perform week 3 without shaking? Or should you go on with week 5 in order to extend the time in the position?

 

I am curious about this as well. 

 

- Chris

Richard Hamilton

My thoughts were to plough on till mastery is achieved, assuming you're making the hold times, and then put the time in to consolidate the new found strength with a steady state microcycle.

I think going back to the start of each microcycle to address shaking would take longer and cause people to lose interest or focus. So in short... build it up, consolidate and repeat :)

Jon Douglas
Richard Hamilton said:

My thoughts were to plough on till mastery is achieved, assuming you're making the hold times, and then put the time in to consolidate the new found strength with a steady state microcycle.

I think going back to the start of each microcycle to address shaking would take longer and cause people to lose interest or focus. So in short... build it up, consolidate and repeat :)

This is my approach too.

Somalie

Would I be correct in assuming that as one progresses through the Foundation series that each subsequent PE will be less taxing on the musculature and CNS. I understand that there is a slight change from PE - PE, but this is the reason they are in the order that they are, correct?

Arto

.

maleko
Charm said:

This is my approach too.

Same. Though I would probably train beyond 60s if I've hit the 5x60s but still have a little shaking, rather than just repeating 5x60s over and over. If you can hold longer, it will make the shorter holds easier. If it was a lot of shaking, I'd probably repeat wk9-12 (or similar).

Jon Douglas
maleko said:

Same. Though I would probably train beyond 60s if I've hit the 5x60s but still have a little shaking, rather than just repeating 5x60s over and over. If you can hold longer, it will make the shorter holds easier. If it was a lot of shaking, I'd probably repeat wk9-12 (or similar).

I don't think 'more is better' will work for too long. 60 seconds is plenty; I've got no desire to go any longer than that and put more adaptive stress on when I'm ironing out what I have.