Find results that contain...
Find results in...

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Today
  2. Yesterday
  3. Alessandro Mainente

Arch up and external leg rotation

It is quite normal when your glutes and generally external rotators are too strong compared to internal rotation. stretch them out before trying the arch.
  4. Swann BUTEL

Butterfly mount pre requist ?

Hi every one, I'm curious about what kind of pre requist / drill for work on butterlfy mount ? I think 20 sec cross + 10 press and maybe balandine with feet on block 10 rep on bodyweight ? Thx for your advice Swann
  5. Marco Levati

Arch up and external leg rotation

Hi, while doing the arch ups from the foundation 1 core, I realize that when I am all the way arched up my knee cap want to externally rotate. Should I sacrifice some external rotation to get higher or should I stop when my knees go apart?
  6. Ben Southerland

Anatomy Issues

Hello, fellow trainers! My name is Ben and I was born with f*cked up elbows! Before delving into this topic, I'd like to provide a brief disclaimer that this is NOT a recommendation of how to fix your elbow pain. This is merely my personal journey with my specific joint problem, and how I've gone about fixing it. My hope is that other members of the forum can read this and perhaps share their own personal journeys with their own problems. Knowledge is power, and I can only assume that there are more trainees than just me who are suffering from their own anatomy. It can be a hindrance. It can make performing some of the GST progressions dangerous if your body can't anatomically handle it. PLEASE consult your doctor/orthopedist if you think you have these kind of structural issues. There just might be a solution. And now, back to my f*cked up elbows. To be more specific, I have/had subluxation of BOTH of my ulnar nerves at my elbow joints. If I bend my arms more than 90 degrees, the ulnar nerve slides out of its home in the cubital tunnel and across the bone that is supposed to hold it in place. It doesn't hurt, really. Just some slight discomfort the longer I hold flexion of my arms. It wasn't much of a problem until I started Gymnastic Strength Training. Foundation One is where I began, and things were going swimmingly until I reached the second progression of the push up variation. To begin with, I couldn't get my chest to the bar in progression one, so I thought I would just bend my arms up to 90 degrees, avoid the violent nerve shift (it was worse under load), and I would be fine to progress with that modification. BOY was I wrong. I got stuck doing regular push ups for MONTHS, until I finally woke up and realized that my modified push ups weren't going to help me progress through this program. I use push ups as the primary example, but it was a major set back in my row progression as well. This was enough incentive to get me to pay my local orthopedist a visit. He confirmed what I had already guessed was subluxation of my ulnar nerves. My hope was that this could be fixed with a brace or some physical therapy, and we wouldn't have to resort to surgery. Surprise! We had to resort to surgery. If I were to leave this unchecked, I would eventually begin to lose feeling and strength in both of my hands. So, I could either get it done now, or wait until it manifested later. To me, this was a no brainer. So, I got myself scheduled for surgery on my left (dominant) arm. It was called a cubital tunnel release with anterior transposition. Basically, they took my ulnar nerve out of the tunnel and replaced it outside in a new tunnel made out of excess skin and fat. Yummy. A new discovery was made by my surgeon during the procedure. The lower part of my tricep was somehow wrapped around my ulnar nerve, which may have been the culprit of the subluxation in the first place. He had to make an incision to free the nerve. What followed was two weeks in a splint (which I just got off two days ago). I absolutely hated that thing. Now, the stitches are out and the process of healing is still in progress. I'm still working slowly to get back my full range of motion, but I can already tell that the problem is, indeed, fixed. I will be scheduling surgery for my other arm before the year is out. That's my story, and it's far from over. I will keep y'all updated as I heal and get back into the swing of things GST-wise. I welcome any and all members of the forum to engage and discuss with their own experiences and knowledge. Train smarter, not harder. And most importantly, train SAFE.
  7. Last week
  8. Kitty Godolphin

Kids training

Dear Coach Sommer, Thank you for a reassuring response and clearing things up for me despite it being not directly related to the program. Huge help. And also thank you for such a fantastic program. I’m enjoying all aspects and working hard at it. With gratitude. Kitty
  9. Coach Sommer

Kids training

“... African people have larger glutes and this makes the curve more pronounced ...” - Idiots. I have no use for such clubs; bullies, plain and simple. Often the approach demonstrated by this club shows an inability to develop athletes from scratch. The wide spread shaming is also a major red flag; shows coaches that are frustrated and over their head technically. Move on and look for a more appropriate training situation. Yours in Fitness, Coach Sommer
  10. Parvinder Tomar

Stall Bars on Amazon - which one?

I will look at Vita Vibe Core series.
  11. Matthew Walker

I'm the same size as you. I have some cheap Vita Vibe stall bars I got off Amazon < $300. I've had them for over 5 years with no issues.
  12. Alessandro Mainente

How many times should a step be repeated?

Hey Eva, usually with my students i require to do a specific step (number o set x number of sec/rep) where in the last set they can perform one rep more or 1/2'' more. if they can, they can move on.
  13. Kitty Godolphin

Kids training

Hi everyone, This is a little off topic but I would love advice from trainers who work with kids. I started the program 2 months ago and working through it consistently. It’s great and my 6 yr old has been watching me do it. It’s inspired him to ask to learn gymnastics. I live in Germany and wanted some advice on two introduction classes I took him to. First class they said (in front of him) that he was not strong or flexible enough to join the class. His confidence took a bruising but we realised this was some national future Olympic training club, probably not where we should have been. But still it was his first class and they expected him to do an Lsit and strict PU at go. The second class we attended was better but a lot of shouting and rough shaming talk with the competition kids. Then the middle split stretching at the end involved some brutal adjustments - kids were bawling. Is this what gymnastics training for kids still is like? Seems very harsh but perhaps I need to adjust my expectations. I understand you have to work hard to grow but this seems forceful and outdated. Q1 - My boy is completely scared to go back. I was thinking if I can’t find a better class then do this program (foundation) with him at home. Any advice if this is appropriate? Q2 - My son is mixed ethnicity (Afro Caribbean and White European) as am I. All my life I have been told the shape of my feet are not right for ballet, my lumbar curve is wrong for yoga etc. I am well aware of the ‘ideal shape’ for certain sports but it’s not something I support. So again yesterday I was told that my son (who has an obvious lumbar curve) was the ‘wrong shape’ for gymnastics so he would have to work to correct it. The teacher said that the bones in the spine are all the same in all races but African people have larger glutes and this makes the curve more pronounced. I don’t know about all that but it seems like bs to me and this type of view point seems unintelligent . Any perspectives? Thank you.
  14. Eva Gossenreiter

How many times should a step be repeated?

Hi, I am new to strength training and am wondering if there is a suggested number of times a step should be completed with all repetitions done, before moving on to the next one? Particularly for step 9 where the exercise changes. Sometimes I just so finish all the repetitions... Thanks in advance! Eva
  15. Alessandro Mainente

Low Bridge Work

PLease if you are referring to foundations material remember to keep posting in the private section.
  16. Parvinder Tomar

I am also looking to install stall bars in my garage. did you ever install them?
  17. Parvinder Tomar

Stall Bars recommendations

I have joined gymnastic bodies 3 years ago and I used it whenever I felt tightness or pain in my body. I enjoyed all the workouts but never developed a practice because of lack of equipment. I always felt I would do much better if I had a Gymnastic body gym near me. I am finally deciding to install Stall Bars for better stretch workouts and developing my practice. Does any have good recommendations for stall bars? I live in North Carolina, USA.
  18. Eloy Bote

Low Bridge Work

Hey Andrew, I'm very noob at bridge but I think that in the low bridge you keep your arms and legs bent but still opening from the thoracic not the lower back. If you record a video you can see where is the bend of the spine coming from, and you should feel your chest opening and not the lower back compressing.
  19. Andrew Molina

Low Bridge Work

I don't know if anyone is still looking at this thread, but I tried the low bridges and am experiencing a LOT of lower back pain, from just one set of 5 reps. I did a full warm up, generally am active, but I know I struggle with bridge work. Reading Ido's description of how the Low Bridge should reduce lumbar strain, I didn't expect to have WORSE lumbar pain (I think I may have strained it) than when I do high bridge work. Any suggestions on mistakes that people make doing the low bridge that add strain to the lumbar spine?
  20. Earlier
  21. Alessandro Mainente

Substitute exercises with no equipment

It depends on the exercises, you should begin from the beginning and as you move on I can help you adjusting the equipment with some alternatives.
  22. Paul Montague

Hi Allesandro, Thank you for the reply. It’s not specifically about the Stall bars but I was wondering if there alternative strength & mobility excercises that achieve the same goals of each stage but without the need for equipment? If so how can I find them? Thanks
  23. Alessandro Mainente

HI Paul, so specifically now the problem is stall bar. well since if you want to emulate the stallbar you need 2 door frames bar. can you provide them?
  24. Paul Montague

Hi, Are there substitute strength & mobility exercises for those of us who don’t have the equipment? With no space to fit stall bar or rings I have to skip these exercises. Thanks Paul
  25. Nick Murray

Lower back pain in dead hang

When you dead hang and "relax" abdominals, obliques, psoas, QLs and TA, your lower back (lumbar area) will go into extension. The zygapophyseal joints on either side of the spine may not be used to being in extension, and in some people this will cause muscle spasm. By "not used to" I mean that the sensory input to the brain (specifically, the somatosensory cortex) may be interpreted as "this position is strange, it might cause injury". The result is that the small muscles around each spinal segment (rotatores, multifidus) will increase in tension to try to provide "protection". The "interpreting" I mentioned before is done in other parts of the brain. It's how any sensation from the body is processed. The sensation can be non-threatening (because you've felt it before) but it can still be intense. The sensation can be very threatening, even if it's not intense (think of a paper cut). You have just learned that being "relaxed" is not always a good thing. The interpretation of the sensory input from your lower back is probably something like "lower back is in extension, can't feel anything supporting it, interpret this as pain." If you want to learn how to tolerate dead hangs and lumbar extension, do some pelvic tilts and pelvic clocks while lying face up. If that feels ok, then stand a foot-length away from a wall, then lean back against the wall with your entire back contacting the wall. Do more pelvic tilts. Then do this with your arms above your head. Then try a dead hang but with some abdominal tension, and small pelvic tilts. You get the idea.
  26. Matti Paalanen

Lower back pain in dead hang

Hi, I have a bit of a predicament and before going to an osteopath thought of sharing the experience as I believe it might be something that others have run into as well and would love to hear your stories. My lower back area tends to have some kind of structural / unbalance problem which in normal life doesn't really cause problems but in some positions / stretches it sometimes has caused even lumbago out of the blue. For example once I was sitting in pancake stretch and when trying to get out of it my back just snapped and was really painfully "stuck" for days. One way that especially makes itself known is dead hang. If I try to dead hang from a bar and relax my core, the lower back spinal area immediately causes sharp pain which I can only alleviate by either causing tension in abs or some other way "not relax". Hence I am feeling that there is some unbalance / tension there which doesn't really get help from dead hang kind of relaxation and it feels bad because I think that I should be able to have the back decompress without this kind of pain / problem happening. Usually after this kind of dead hang even for 10 seconds or so the back "stays in pain" and I have to do careful positional shifts and muscle activations in the lower back to "get it back to normal" again. Like I said if I don't aggravate it it doesn't really cause trouble in normal day to day life and even in exercises but I probably have learned to intuitively "be careful" with it and there is probably some kind of preventative constant tension there that prevents the area from aggravating. If anyone has similar situation and has found some ways to work it out I appreciate and stories! Like I said I'm going to see an osteopath and hopefully can get some professional evaluation regarding my own situation but I believe there is something quite generic going on that somebody else has had as well.
  27. Timothy Strickland

training with a neck bulge

This question is for Coach. I bulged my c6-c7 disc (not a huge one, 2-3mm) doing Jiu JItsu and heavy lifting. Looking to know what training I should pay attention to with this type of injury. The injury most likely occured from years of sleeping on my stomach, strength training with little to no mobility built in, MMA. I have been seen by doctors and chiropractors and they have agreed that I should be exercising again paying attention to mobility and stretching and keeping the weights light. The pain level is very mild now and is not traveling into my arm. My neck gets sore from time to time but nothing too serious. My goal is to strengthen my muscles in my neck and increase my mobility so such a thing doesn't happen again and maybe at the same time start the healing process to try and be pain free. I have lots of other issues such as super tight hamstrings where I can barely touch my knees in the pike position. I've been doing the stretches for several weeks and when I started I had pain in my left glute but that has gone away and I am able to go further into the stretch now. I retired from Jiu Jitsu and will likely not lift weights until I am completely pain free for over a year and when I do it will be mild weights. My goal is to follow this program to the tee, I have been doing it 6 days per week, 4 being workout, 2 days being stretch days and Sunday being total rest. I am 39 and super tight, looking forward to the long term results of following this program.
  28. William ball

Buldging discs...again

Coach, I started doing Jefferson curls about 3 weeks ago and totally intend to restart these. Iv already started today just a set of 3 with no external weight basically until there is no pain. I did the restore thoracic and it definitely helped, no placebo effect. I’m assuming I can use restore thoracic daily? I know the stretch series can’t be used daily because the tissue takes time to remodel or is that not true?
  29. Coach Sommer

Buldging discs...again

I would assume no jefferson curls were being done? Yours in Fitness, Coach Sommer
  1. Load more activity
  • Newsletter

Want to keep up to date with all our latest news and information?

Important Information

Please review our Privacy Policy at Privacy Policy before using the forums.