Find results that contain...
Find results in...

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Today
  3. Alessandro Mainente

Bilateral vs Unilateral training

the problem is that squatting on 2 legs is possible also for people with bad ankle mobility because the 2 legs stance is useful to transfer the poor ankles mobility to hips mobility. if you do not have decent ankle mobility than you cannot squat on a single leg or you cannot go deep in the range of motion. people experiment much compensation like tilting the hips to the side, tilting the knee inside, full pronation of the foot. all these compensations are part of motor pattern that you cannot train on 2 legs squat.
  4. Yesterday
  5. Matthew Walker

I used to squat just shy of 400 and deadlift 485 for 5-6 reps @ 180lbs and there isn't a chance in hell of me doing a pistol squat without a good bit of work. Personally I know I leaned too far forward in my squats and a lot of the effort came from my lower back instead of my legs which probably contributed to my abysmal hip and ankle mobility.
  6. Last week
  7. Alessandro Mainente

body adapts to the range of motion. if the range of motion is only a part of the full range of motion fascia becomes tighter, the reflex is changed, the basic electrical response of the muscles is changed. GST per se does not make you more flexible for all your life, because can still perform only single leg squat and get hips limitations on the range of motion.
  8. Scott Taylor 359849

Hello Coach, Sorry I wasn't clear. I've recently transitioned from barbell to GST. I'm asking why bilateral would not translate to unilateral. The theory espoused in barbell training circles is that the entire body gets stronger. It makes sense logically, but did not seem to carry over for me. Also, why would mobility from barbell training decline so rapidly? Is it a case of adding load to a person already lacking mobility, thereby exacerbating the issue? As an aside, your programs are excellent. The level of detail, thought, and expertise is clear in the format of the progressions. I'm looking forward to slowly becoming a better mover.
  9. Coach Sommer

How long until stall bars & rings are needed?

No way to predict. Given how tight you are currently, I would imagine that it will be quite some time until you ‘need’ stall bars. Rings may be picked up at anytime. Yours in Ftiness, Coach Sommer
  10. Coach Sommer

Hello Scott, Not really understanding your questions as the writing is not clear. 1) have you recently transitioned from barbell to GST or transitioned from GST to barbell? 2) are you asking if unilateral transfers to bilateral or if bilateral transfers to unilteral? Yours in Fitness, Coach Sommer
  11. Scott Taylor 359849

Hi Alessandro, Understood. It seemed very much to be a glute medius issue (where it was difficult). It was surprising because unilateral training was "supposed" to transfer to bilateral movements per standard barbell orthodoxy. That wasn't in line with my results. Would you mind speaking to the "why" of mobility loss? I understand imbalances in my shoulder (pressing without enough pulling)...but why would my hips/quads tighten up to much with a squat/deadlift program? Everyone is different, so if this is a unique case, so be it. I'm just wondering if you've seen this type of reaction to weight training before? I'm seeing immediate mobility improvements from the few days I've done the intro program.
  12. Scott Taylor 359849

How long until stall bars & rings are needed?

Currently doing the intro program. Around how many months until stall bars & rings are introduced on average? I recognize everyone is different, so that may be somewhat difficult to answer. I have a reasonable base of strength from barbell training (250 squat, 270 deadlift, 100 press, 10 pull-ups)...with pretty bad mobility. Just looking for estimates so I can re-configure my home gym.
  13. Alessandro Mainente

Hi Scott, you can simply analyze the movement and see that one leg exercises are affected from some hips mobility deficits and of course double legs exercise are affected by other hips mobility deficits. Also, the position of the spine is affected by one leg variation. there are many many many things involved. the body reacts differently and the results are different strength level.
  14. Scott Taylor 359849

Hello all, I've recently migrated from barbell training to gymnastic training. After a 2 month stint of Starting Strength, my mobility was becoming compromised. My quads & shoulders were tightening to an unacceptable level. Being in my early 40's, that's not something I'm going to mess around with. During those two months my barbell squat went from 105 to 250 at a body-weight of 150. However, with that strength in place, i recently attempted a single leg lunge with 20lbs. It was surprisingly challenging. A pistol squat is very far away from possible due to lack of mobility. What possible mechanisms would account for the difference in strength between the two movements (barbell squat & lunge)? Thanks, Scott
  15. Matthew Walker

Rope climb Negatives cirques.

Asad, "If it hurt why the f*ck did you keep doing it?" - My orthopedic surgeon This is what he said during my first appointment after I was doing this type of stuff and destroyed both of my arms. Almost a year later and a few thousand dollars less in my pocket I am now finally able to train again....starting with incline rows and pushups. Let my stupidity/ego and the advice of the coaches save you a lot of time, pain, and money.
  16. Earlier
  17. Matthew Walker

Coach, you say the splits stretching class isn’t conditioning but...

I tried out the 150 rep Calf Sequence that was added recently. Pretty fun to try. Didn't make it very far. I'll probably just use a wheelchair or scoot around on my butt for the next day or two for recovery.
  18. Coach Sommer

Carpet bonded foam flooring

Contact Dollamur flooring. They may be able to custom length a 6’x24’ roll for you. Yours in Fitness, Coach Sommer
  19. Shaun Purvis

Carpet bonded foam flooring

Building my basement into a small gym and would like to line a section of the concrete floor with carpet bonded foam. Problem is that I only have about a 12'x12' section to cover and can only find the foam sold in rolls of 6'x62', which is way too much. Has anybody ever seen carpet bonded foam sold by the foot? Or any other smaller quantity option (other than the portable 10'x5' rolls)? Also, any tips about layering between the concrete and foam would be appreciated!
  20. Asad Chaman-Ali

Okay fine if its joint tendon prep your guys are saying what should i do instead buy a climbing rope or something like that? And do build up to 5x5 legless long stroke rope climbs. Apparently it do got a carryover to One arm pull up and it have some shoulder elbow conditioning effect too!
  21. PAUL DALY

equipment for twisting arch ups

i had shopped for these but had not seen one at this price point! thanks. and sadly, no access to a kid. . . they've gotten much to big for that! enjoy them while they are still able to do stuff like that it doesn't last.
  22. Avi Samuel

Building a power rack with built-in Stall bars?

What did this COMBO look like when posted? What does it look like now? Curious.
  23. Matthew Walker

https://www.walmart.com/ip/CAP-Strength-Deluxe-Roman-Chair-Hyperextension-Bench/43939424?wmlspartner=wlpa&adid=22222222228031875094&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=m&wl3=59969563352&wl4=aud-481962823846:pla-122981884112&wl5=9006623&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=8175035&wl11=online&wl12=43939424&veh=sem&gclid=CjwKCAjw6vvoBRBtEiwAZq-T1bz3JWfedG5SFiFKI3sE6U86VH9KpB_hbOX8CuPhdRmvkq67LfYHkRoC3VsQAvD_BwE Or if you have a child available...
  24. PAUL DALY

i currently have access to a device that works great for this exercise, but will be losing that as we are moving The gym options where I'm going have no stall bars or straps. And the back extension devices they have are all of the typical type where your feet are more or less on the floor. here's an example of what i mean in case it's not clear https://www.amazon.com/CAP-Strength-45-Degree-Hyperextension/dp/B001105FNK/ref=asc_df_B001105FNK/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=216514740623&hvpos=1o2&hvnetw=g&hvrand=4525157097815854798&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9003751&hvtargid=pla-349512594449&psc=1 the items you could purchase for home use that have feet parallel to the floor are all a little expensive for me -- and take up more room than I'd like to dedicate. any suggestions?
  25. Coach Sommer

LOL. Just means you have seriously deconditioned calves. Don’t worry, they will adapt relatively quickly. Actually I am being quite kind only assigning 60reps, my own athletes did 150reps of each. Yours in Fitness, Coach Sommer
  26. Alessandro Mainente

Hey Joshua, there is no possibility to push the range of motion at the end range if the muscles is not enough strong. this is pretty common, especially on legs range fo motion. not a case all my clients following the foundation's legs course have more improvements compared to those who do not follow a structured strengthening program for the legs.
  27. Coach, you say the splits stretching class isn’t conditioning but... 3 sets of 60 calf raises seems like a pretty good conditioning session to me. My calves were on fire and I had DOMS the next day. Wont this actually tighten them?
  28. Patrick Skutley

Zero Ankle Mobility

Thanks for being honest. May try the PT route just to narrow down if there is any hope for me or not. Thanks.
  29. Hen Finkelstain

How to fix rounded shoulders

Thanks!
  30. Eloy Bote

Asad, strength is something that could come from the main muscles needed for a good execution, or from compensatory muscles for a bad execution. In the calisthenics community you can see a lot of people doing exercises with a bad form just using compensation, and the truth is that they end with bad and even chronic injuries. The compensation comes from muscles that are not supposed to work on that load with that execution, the more you compensate the less the main muscles will work and therefore the compensatory muscles will need to work even more with time: the result is very bad for you. It would be great if the compensatory muscles could get strong enough but that won't happen, they are not mean to do what you are making them to do! If you can afford gymnasticbodies program maybe you can at least do it with a friend, there are some couples here that do that! The program is meant to be personal but if you train together you can progress together.
  1. Load more activity
  • Newsletter

Want to keep up to date with all our latest news and information?

Important Information

Please review our Privacy Policy at Privacy Policy before using the forums.