Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Planche Pushups.

Tavis G

If i remeber correctly i remember Coach saying in the book and an article saying that the tuck and/or advanced tuck will help with the transition into straddle PL. I can do about 2 strict advanced tuck pushups, granted my PB aren't high enough to get full ROM. They still get 80% of the range. Would i be better off to do 2 strict advanced tuck pushups for 3 sets? Or take a step back and to tuck Pl. pushups?

Note:

Whenever i try tuck, my back always arches out into the advanced tuck on the concentric part. Also i can hold a high straddle for about2-3 seconds. It is not crazy high but still higher than parrelel.

The goal here is to get the right reps and sets of the RIGHT pushup to supplement my advanced holds to get my straddle lower.

And to get stronger :D

Thanks!

Joshua Slocum

3 reps is the recommended minimum for developing strength. 1 or 2 reps isn't enough volume to elicit much of a super-compensatory response. So I think you would develop strength faster by doing more reps of full-tuck planche pushups.

Not necessarily true. 1-2 reps can develop strength extremely well. You have to think of total overall volume and also about the learning aspect. If form is done strict then working with 1-2reps can greatly increase the bodies capacity to learn the movement. These one to two reps should not be complete max effort though. You should feel as if you have an ugly third left in the tank.

Since this is an adjunct to your Straddle training you also need to consider how fatigued they make you. This might be an accessory movement done once a week at 1-2reps and the other at a lower intensity. This is to help you with the main goal not take its place.

• Upvote 1

Yes they make me feel like i have a very ugly rep left. I do them whenever i train chest and triceps and PL usually 2-3x a week. So i have a good amount of recovery time.

Joshua Slocum

Not necessarily true. 1-2 reps can develop strength extremely well. You have to think of total overall volume and also about the learning aspect. If form is done strict then working with 1-2reps can greatly increase the bodies capacity to learn the movement. These one to two reps should not be complete max effort though. You should feel as if you have an ugly third left in the tank.

Since this is an adjunct to your Straddle training you also need to consider how fatigued they make you. This might be an accessory movement done once a week at 1-2reps and the other at a lower intensity. This is to help you with the main goal not take its place.

Good point; I agree. Emphasis should be placed on the fact that this sort of training is to be used as an adjunct. The mainstay exercises of your workout should be performed at higher volume. 

If i remeber correctly i remember Coach saying in the book and an article saying that the tuck and/or advanced tuck will help with the transition into straddle PL. I can do about 2 strict advanced tuck pushups, granted my PB aren't high enough to get full ROM. They still get 80% of the range. Would i be better off to do 2 strict advanced tuck pushups for 3 sets? Or take a step back and to tuck Pl. pushups?

Note:

Whenever i try tuck, my back always arches out into the advanced tuck on the concentric part. Also i can hold a high straddle for about2-3 seconds. It is not crazy high but still higher than parrelel.

The goal here is to get the right reps and sets of the RIGHT pushup to supplement my advanced holds to get my straddle lower.

And to get stronger :D

Thanks!

Have you considered doing tucked/advanced tucked presses/negatives instead? I think those skills would have more carry over to progressing to your straddle planche as opposed to doing bent arm strength. I'm not saying you should forsake one for the other, but from my experience, you should prioritize pressing movements. 

Honestly, i don't like straight arm negatives. And what do you mean prioritize 'pressing' movements?

Honestly, i don't like straight arm negatives. And what do you mean prioritize 'pressing' movements?

Well assuming you want to do Erbs someday after getting a planche, you'll eventually have to integrate straight arm negatives into your training. You don't have to like them, but you HAVE to do them. Do presses everyday or at least 3 -4 times a week.  

FREDERIC DUPONT

You don't have to like them, but you HAVE to do them  

QFT!

That applies to many, many efficient and useful things in life! :)

Aren't erbs where you bend your arms out at the bottom or is that bowers? They arent so bad, I'm talking something like planche presses to hanstand. They make me feel like ima break my neck. Id probably get used to iit sooner or later.