Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

V Pullups

Robert Del Popolo

Robert Del Popolo

Im doing L Pullups currently, ive had a lot of trouble with holding the L postition. Finally im starting to see improvements,however yesterday i found that going higher up with my legs (like in a v) made the exercise easier. Is this good to do? (V sit is harder than L sit) or should i stop this ?

Thanks

Depends on what you're trying to accomplish. Yes, a V-sit is harder than an L-sit as far as core is concerned, but it also gives you bettter leverage as far as the pullup is concerned. So the core part becomes more difficult while the pullup becomes easier.

If you are training them as part of a pullup progression, stick with the L.

• Upvote 1

I would definetly recomend to keep doing the in an L. Like Charm says it's to easy to "fall" into a leaning position.

• 3 months later...
myron gaihens

Didn't want to open a new thread, so I'm using this one.

I've been doing L-sit Chin-ups so far and got to 10 reps, so I thought I'd try out L-sit Pull-ups.

I could do 5 reps, but every time, once my elbows got to 130° or so, I felt a strong discomfort in what I believe are my external rotators of the right shoulder. Actually I had to tilt to my left side (so pulling stronger with my left shoulder) to relieve the stress.

I'm not sure whether it was a cramp or tendon pain. Did anybody encounter a similar problem?

Is there anything I can do or should I just keep going and hope it will resolve itself?

I never got this pain during any other movement. However, my right shoulder is slightly depressed, and I have a larger external rotation ROM in my right shoulder vs. the left, if that might indicate anything (like insuffiicient scapular control).

Jon Douglas

I can't diagnose you, but generally when someone asks this;

Is there anything I can do or should I just keep going and hope it will resolve itself?

The answer is NO.

There's also a school of thought which would say 'if you can't identify the source of pain, then give it a wide berth.'

In a general sort of way;

Have you tried neutral grip pullups, if your situation allows, as a halfway point? How do hanging shrugs feel?

myron gaihens

They don't cause any trouble for me.

Have you tried neutral grip pullups, if your situation allows, as a halfway point? How do hanging shrugs feel?

myron gaihens

If anyone's interested.

I tried a narrow (prone) grip and haven't had any shoulder problems.

I also found it useful what is said in the first 2 minutes of this video:

http://gymnasticswod.com/content/l-hang-pull-progression

However, when I widen my grip, at the bottom position of the eccentric movement, my core gives in and during the pullup my shoulder makes trouble - the pain is somewhere where the infraspinatus and teres minor insert on the humerus.

So I guess, I will stick to the narrower grip and wait until my core and/or my external rotators get stronger.