Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Candlestick

ryantherobot

Tried searching here and just found it listed as a progression and there's some obvious problems when trying to search Google for Candlestick.

Could someone please discuss the Candlestick on its own. Some questions I'd like answered:

1. Hand placement: I've read holding something behind head and I've read under butt. When I hold behind head I can hold myself up very easily. When under butt its a little harder but I still find myself pushing up with my hands/arms. Is this correct? I can somewhat do it with my arms crossed on my chest but I can't hold it at all.

2. Legs lift up first and then crunch those abs or will it eventually all lift up at the same time?

3. Are candlesticks better done for reps with just a pause at the top or less reps but trying to hold it for time? What's a good time per rep to try for?

4. I lift my legs slowly but then for that ab crunch I can tell I'm somewhat 'rolling' and using momentum. Especially if my hands are on my chest. I can do it with much greater control holding something behind my head but only because I'm using my arms as much or more than my abs.

Thank you.

http://www.drillsandskills.com/images/d ... estick.jpg

Most people forget that their back must be straight and not piked at the hips!

Someone else can answer the other questions, I'm in a hurry at the moment.

2. Lifting your lower back and legs off the floor I would say is impossible without counterweight, meaning that unless you are grabbing something you can't do this, that is why you arms are placed by your hips, basically placing your center of gravity.

3. Personally I use candlesticks as a rep scheme exercise. I would start with a leg lift with my hips on the floor then 'crunch' up to a candle stick hold for a second then lower down.

4. Place your arms by your hips, that's the way I was taught so that it the way I follow.

There is no need to put something underneath your lower back.

For beginners, I allow them to rock back and stabilize themselves in the candlestick with their arms on the grounds by their sides. Preferably, I get them out of this habit as soon as possible and they can get strong enough and skilled enough to hold the candle with their arms by their ears, extended. Just my preference in the compulsory routines.

It is has been said going to be very difficult to lower from the candlestick without holding something or using a counterbalance. Holding on to my 2 25lb DB helps, but I'd prefer if they equaled or were close to my BW.

If you can keep yourself stretched and hollow by having your arms by your side and pushing into the ground, that would be very impressive. It's tough.

As I understand it the Candlestick is in Yoga called Salamba Sarvangasana or shoulder stand.

Check out BKS Iyengars book Light on Yoga page 205 for info and variations.

Also a good way to do it is to fold a blanket 2"-4" ,or use gym mats etc, and do the posture on this raised surface with the head and neck off the blanket, this will take the pressure off the neck and reduce the risk of injury.

Remember this is a shoulder stand not an upperback stand.

If you don't have access to the book Google it

Gymnasts need to be able to have a flexible and strong neck in that position. I was just watching a video by Tammy Biggs about this since they have to hit this position and keep the head in while whipping around as well as releasing for layouts.