Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Program design

Tomas Johansson

Tomas Johansson

Hi, finally registered for this excellent site. I am a average+ climber (bouldering around french 7B as my best climbs) trying to increase my strength. I consider my technical level higher than my strength level so I think I could push the grades a bit just by increasing my strength and I think gymnastics is the best for me.

Some questions then.

1. When doing static strength training I can for instance do a tuck planche for 10-12 sec so I'm shooting for 6sec * 10set. However if I'm not able to perform all 10 sets with only short rest in the beginning of my steady state cycle does that mean It's too hard for me or should I keep working until I can do 10 sets easily?

2. When pairing static and basic strength work should it be done like for instance this:

-6sec backlever progression

-rest

-1st set of todays pull version

-rest

-rest

-2nd set of todays pull version

-rest

-rest

-3rd set of todays pull version

-rest

--6sec backlever progression

-rest

-rest

-continue until I reach 10 sets or fail.

3. I will try to climb 2 times per week and do the integrated training program 2 times per week. Will that be enough to progress on the gymnastic training? Can I still follow the guidelines and only do for instance vertical pull/push every 2nd week (that is every 4th session) or do I have to make my 2 session per week longer so that I cover all planes in one week?

matthew.percussion

1) Are you sure that your tuck planche is in good form for all 10-12 secs?

If not only count the time that it is in good form... Otherwise I would say lower each set by a second or two.

2) I'm not sure about this one. A lot of people have been asking but no one seems to really know.

3) Working all of the statics 2 times a week should be enough to make gains. As for training all planes of motion, if you only have time to workout twice a week only you could go ahead and throw in a second plane of motion, or the next week you could switch up which plan you are working. For example:

Week 1:

Day one: Curls and dips

Day two: HSPU and Pull-Ups

Week 2:

Day one: Press-ups and Rows

Day two: Curls and dips

With that sort of routine it is more spread out but you still hit all planes. You could also try Multi Plane Exercises.

Hope I helped,

Matthew