Find results in...

Techniques / Exercises To Correct Hand Beyond Shoulders

Patrick Van de Glind

Patrick Van de Glind

Here's a youtube video of me doing handstands on the p-barz

and in it, my hands are beyond my shoulders and i think that is currently

the main reason my handstand sucks..

Do you know of any technique / tip / exercise to correct this problem,

as when i'm doing the handstand, the hand position feels fine, while in the video

it's way wrong..

Thanks!

Patrick Van de Glind

Unfortunately I cannot do handstands on the ground because of wrist flexibility problems.

funny that you call it banana arch :)

Stefan Hinote
Unfortunately I cannot do handstands on the ground because of wrist flexibility problems.

funny that you call it banana arch :)

Have you tried placing the p-bars against a wall for wall HS work, and for using the wall as an assist to your freestand work?

Joshua Slocum

I recently started a post about what I've been doing to fix the problem in my own handstands: https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/topic/9675-please-critique-my-mobility-routine-for-opening-up-my-shoulders/

I've had good results so far. I've got to build up a lot more endurance in my trapezius before I could say I'm comfortable in a correct HS position, but I can at least push myself to such a position even if it is effortful.

Patrick Van de Glind
Have you tried placing the p-bars against a wall for wall HS work, and for using the wall as an assist to your freestand work?

There is my 2nd problem and the reason i can only work on HS when my friend joins in the gym.

I seem unable to put the p-barz against the wall and then kick up and hold that position against the wall,

i won't even get close to the wall with my legs before coming down already

I am able to walk up the wall at an angle on the floor however my wrists hurt much afterwards, again because of inflexibility.

I have been doing a wrist routine almost daily for like 3 months now where I strengthen and stretch the wrists, but i'm not there yet.

I am actually considering finding a local gymnastics coach that can teach and spot, because i really want the HS this year

Stefan Hinote
There is my 2nd problem and the reason i can only work on HS when my friend joins in the gym.

I seem unable to put the p-barz against the wall and then kick up and hold that position against the wall,

i won't even get close to the wall with my legs before coming down already

I am able to walk up the wall at an angle on the floor however my wrists hurt much afterwards, again because of inflexibility.

I have been doing a wrist routine almost daily for like 3 months now where I strengthen and stretch the wrists, but i'm not there yet.

I am actually considering finding a local gymnastics coach that can teach and spot, because i really want the HS this year

Hmm, then I've run out of ideas. Not sure what your wrist routine is, but you could try this as well:

Good luck.

Joshua Slocum

A trick for jumping into a handstand on pbars: start with your feet on the bars to give yourself additional height. This makes it much easier.

Patrick Van de Glind
A trick for jumping into a handstand on pbars: start with your feet on the bars to give yourself additional height. This makes it much easier.

Good one!

this way you don't have to jump the additional height

i'll try that next time

Or just get like 2.5lb dumbbells and walk your stomach into the wall.  Relieves the wrist pressure and for your purposes just like the same as parallets except for smaller grip.