Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Child Conditioning

Raul

Hi

am relatively new here, but have found some great information on the site. Many thanks to all who have posted.

I did some searching but couldn't find much on exercises for children. I have 2 boys, 12 and 7 (just), who train in Capoeira and want to start doing some of the acrobatics. I would like to give them some basic conditioning exercises, but am wary of their growing bodies and don't want to injure them or stint their development. Can anyone provide some general advice for me to follow, and maybe some good exercises for them to develop some basic strength?

a more specific question is should my 7 year old be bridging? He, like many 7 year olds, is very flexible but I dont want to push this if its going to damage his spine in anyway.

Thanks,

Raul

the current standard for hand bridging used by gymnastics coaches is 6+, 7 is fine. I start all beginner boys bridging with their feet or back supported higher on their hands and eventually doing it without assistance

basic exercises?

handstand on wall, headstands with hands in a tripod

L sit or L hang, leg lifts, superman/hollow hold/lifts

support ( which the handstand is as well ), hold off on the dips till they can support well and do pushups with excellent form

pistol work after deck squats, leg swings, middle and front splits

skin the cats on bars or rings, pullups

Thanks for the advice. Exactly what I was looking for.

with regards to stretching I have read (in the child training book recommended by T Kurz - sorry cant remember the name) that boys less than 10 should not be static stretching, and should focus more on dynamic stretching. Is this standard practice in Gymnastics?

Raul

No, ideally we want them to have their splits during the first year of competition. They can compete as early as 6 for L4, maybe at 5 for L3. L4 routines must show front split for girls and pancake split for boys.