Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Tendonitis Removal Protocol.

Ping Blekkboks

Ping Blekkboks

Hello GB.

I have a question for you.

How is this for a tendonitis protocol?

1) Ice baths - Short dips, with bloodflow enhancing activity in between.

2) Ice massage - Paper cups filled with ice, is mashed into the injured area.

3) Hard massage of the injured area, especially surrounding muscles (triggerpoints)

4) Heat pack on injured area

5) Make a new program for the activity that caused my injury. With focus on lower volume, intensity and frequency.

6) Make a program that contains prehab exercises.

This is something I put together after reading a lot of different sources.

José Ignacio Varela Suárez

I would add other two:

7) Eat anti inflamatory diet.

8) Take Fish Oil like supplementation.

FREDERIC DUPONT

Here is a wonderful thread with plenty of great advice and protocols:

https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/topic/7492-achilles-tendon-rehabprehab/

It is for Achilles issues, but most of the advice applies to other tendons injuries.

If you search the fora, there are several good threads that give specific advice for medial & lateral epicondylitis (golfer's & tennis elbow), and rehab of the biceps tendon. :)

Ping Blekkboks

Thanks! 

With 7) and 8) I think I have a good plan!

Fred, I will be sure to read through the forums aswell!

Joshua Naterman

Too much ice.

You need to keep the tissues warm, both for blood flow and direct energizing of the enzymes, and raw materials, that actually heal the tendon.

Ice is very good for two times, and a specific purpose:

Purpose: To acutely control swelling. This does not affect healing positively, and new research is suggesting that it is actually slowing things down, but it does help with pain. It's a trade-off, and for most people it's a good one during the first 48-72 hours of an injury.

Times for Icing:

• First 48-ish hours after an acute injury. As we know, tendonitis tends to not be acute, but one can consider the initial onset as a somewhat appropriate time for icing (for swelling/pain control).
  • Immediately after you feel pain in the area, a single 10-20 minute icing session can help control the pain. This is not NECESSARY, but often makes people feel better. This is usually

The rest of the time, including after the workout when there is no pain, gentle heat is the best thing you can do. There are a lot of options, many of which can look silly or unseasonal. The simplest is to take a neoprene wrap and use it on the affected area. You can also use a section of an emergency blanket, wrapped into place with an ace bandage. I have used heavy duty 4 mil plastic as well, in the past. You want to cover the area  3-4 inches beyond the edge of the affected area with whatever you wrap, or heat, with in all directions.

These days I just use heat, and while initial pain for something like a small sprain is slightly greater, the overall healing time is much shorter.

You never want to heat the tissue above 105 degrees Fahrenheit, you will cause serious damage. The low setting on heating pads is generally appropriate for long heating sessions, and in my experience these tend to be more effective for healing.

I just got an infrared pad, and I haven't gotten to really test it out yet because a friend strained her medial gastroc (her calves, basically) and I gave it to her for a few weeks to speed up the healing.

Other than heat, gentle long-term stretching is a good idea for the affected areas. Cross-friction massage tends to help, and so can SMR.

The most important thing to do (well, should really be the first thing, but this is a highly specialized skill that a lot of physicians don't even have) is to properly identify the dysfunctional movement patterns that have led to this injury and change them.

There is currently not very much guidance on this anywhere.

• Upvote 1

Ping Blekkboks

@ Joshua,

The injury I'm talking about is shin splints (MTSS). I got it during a particularly hard selection period in the military.

So far, the ice has worked wonders for me. So I don't really see the point in quitting ice. I also use heatpack as I mentioned.

Regarding dysfunctional movement patterns, I think it was just an extreme amount of running that did it. An amount my legs were not ready for.

Thanks for the post though, I will be sure to take the info with me.

Christian Nogueira

Hello, 

Not to hijack the thread or anything, but I've been meaning to ask this (and I don't think it this was worth it's own thread). 

A few weeks ago I went a little beyond my capabilities in planche leans. It was just for 20 seconds or less but the rest of the day I felt some nagging ache in my inner elbow but nothing too serious, though. The next day it felt slightly worse. It wasn't very sharp pain or anything that impeded moving, but just general achyness in the inner elbow but I worked out anyway. So I warmed up a little and the discomfort seemed to have subsided (not gone, but enough that I thought I could workout without problems).

Now, for some reason I forgot that, with an aching inner elbow I probably shouldn't be training back lever. I'm currently training tuck back lever almost straightening the back into adv. tuck, holding, lowering to a german hang, holding and doing a back pull, so that's what I did for the workout.

Not only did I not feel any discomfort, in fact the pain was completely gone after, I thought this was just some post-workout pump, but no, the next day no discomfort, and not ever since.

I know what I did probably goes against what is said here, but I was wondering how in the world could BL have helped me ? I know BL is a bicep strengthening position as are the planche leans, but I can't explain how former helped the heal the damage cause by my improper use of the latter.