Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Scapular Retraction On Ring Support

antlitz

Hello everyone,

I've been reading these forums for a while, and finally decided to join! I have recently been reading about ring support, and based on what I've seen on a few threads, it sounds like the ideal form is to have the shoulders back and chest out.

I tried doing this, but so far it's too difficult for me. I was wondering if there was some easier way to do this support, perhaps with my legs on a chair or something?

Thanks for any replies!

Gerald Mangona

I put push-up handles on the ground and am doing support that way until I can build up enough strength to do them on the rings. Sure, I can do them on rings, but not with shoulders back, scaps retracted, chest, out. Which is to say that I can't do them :)  

I do them with hips are under shoulders, leg touching the ground. I'm sure I will eventually progress to one leg touching ground, then full support on dip machine (not rings) with full bodyweight until I work way up to rings. I'm curious what others have done.

While we're at it, I'm a looooong way from a proper hollow. Curious what others do to scale it down.

I put push-up handles on the ground and am doing support that way until I can build up enough strength to do them on the rings. Sure, I can do them on rings, but not with shoulders back, scaps retracted, chest, out. Which is to say that I can't do them :)

I do them with hips are under shoulders, leg touching the ground. I'm sure I will eventually progress to one leg touching ground, then full support on dip machine (not rings) with full bodyweight until I work way up to rings. I'm curious what others have done.

While we're at it, I'm a looooong way from a proper hollow. Curious what others do to scale it down.

Hey Jerry, thanks for the suggestion! Unforunately, I haven't been able to transfer the the handle support to the rings.

I have a dip station and can do a full bodyweight support with retracted shoulders on it for probably 30s or so. Yet when

I get onto the rings, it feels 100x harder. Do you maybe have some ideas for some intermediate between support on a

bar and on rings? To me, at least, ring support feels like a completley different beast from parallel bar support.

Out of curiousity, by hollow, do you mean the position when your scapula is completely protracted? I was curious what

kind of exercises you do for working on this position. Do you use scapula pushups, planche leans, or something else

perhaps? Thanks!

using band will help.

you may also try support in push up position

Thanks spyro, but could you help me figure out how to use the band? I have a bunch of different resistance bands, but I'm not

sure how I would attach it to suport myself. Thanks!

Matus Michalicka

you just hold each end of the band under your hand and grip rings as you would normally. And then you step on the band.

I can't explain it better. If you don't get it I can take picture tomorrow :)

you just hold each end of the band under your hand and grip rings as you would normally. And then you step on the band.

I can't explain it better. If you don't get it I can take picture tomorrow :)

Ah! Now it makes sense, thanks spyro!

Daniel Burnham

So first of all you don't want to have the shoulders pulled back too far. You should me in a fairly neutral position. The support is just a position that gets passed through in gymnastics so it should help facilitate movement into other positions. This means you should keep a hollow with shoulder blades pulled against your body not overly retracted. The chest should be pointed to the front of you and not rolled downward. If you are rolling over it means you do not have the strength needed and are trying to compensate by loading the chest more. Read the support section of the book under the ring dip section. This should clear up confusion on the proper positioning.

You should have a good minute on parallel bars or dip station before seriously working supports. Don't cheat yourself and allow the body to shrug. I think a good l-sit is helpful too. If after this you still need a band then feel free to use it, but I find given a few days of practice most of the shaking starts to disappear and people pick it up.

So first of all you don't want to have the shoulders pulled back too far. You should me in a fairly neutral position. The support is just a position that gets passed through in gymnastics so it should help facilitate movement into other positions. This means you should keep a hollow with shoulder blades pulled against your body not overly retracted. The chest should be pointed to the front of you and not rolled downward. If you are rolling over it means you do not have the strength needed and are trying to compensate by loading the chest more. Read the support section of the book under the ring dip section. This should clear up confusion on the proper positioning.

You should have a good minute on parallel bars or dip station before seriously working supports. Don't cheat yourself and allow the body to shrug. I think a good l-sit is helpful too. If after this you still need a band then feel free to use it, but I find given a few days of practice most of the shaking starts to disappear and people pick it up.

Daniel, thanks a lot for the clarification! That explains my troubles perfectly! I'm off to work on my pb support!

I've been reading these forums for a while, and finally decided to join! I have recently been reading about ring support, and based on what I've seen on a few threads, it sounds like the ideal form is to have the shoulders back and chest out.

I tried doing this, but so far it's too difficult for me. I was wondering if there was some easier way to do this support, perhaps with my legs on a chair or something?

Thanks for any replies!

Position of your shoulder depends on what do you wanna do. For example if you wanna strengthen your retraction you should retract them,  but in general "correct" position is the one "in the middle" (no retraction and no protraction). 

When you are doing rings support you will probably naturally be in protraction and for that reason you should do retraction exercises to balance your self. But when your exercise is not to strengthen retraction or protraction you should bi in neither of those but rather in neutral position.

And for your retracted support you could simply do it on parallel bars, when it becomes easy and still to heavy for rings you could still do them on PB but with your arms little more wider. You would do that by putting one hand in front of the other and rotating your self slightly to the side of the hand which is behind you.

Also a good exercise for your retraction is one I don't know name of but I can describe it. For example you can do it on rings on which you can modify height of the rings. You would lover them down and grab them in your hands and you should find your self in position where your legs touch the floor and your body is almost vertical. You could also put your legs on a chair or sth so your legs are above the vertical. If your retraction is weak you should do this exercise slowly and with your shoulder retracted while you are pulling your self. You should think about your retraction. As far as height to which you pull is concerned you do not have to go above the position where your elbows are in the parallel with your shoulders.