Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Planche Progression Hold Times

Patrick Van de Glind

Patrick Van de Glind

Hey guys,

I did a forum search and was not able to find much on the hold time for individual progression

and hoped you guys could help with that.

I did find that you should be able to hold a frog stand for 60seconds 1set

however after that, do you work up to a total of 60seconds per progression (tuck/straddle etc)

or do you work with different times/sets?

my ultimate goals is a 5second planche on p-barz

Thanks!

Stefan Hinote

maxhold=x x/2=reptime 60/reptime=#reps | IE: L-sit maxhold=20 20/2=10 60/10=6 "6x10sec"

That's what everyone usually follows for working statics. As far as moving up to the next progression, I would venture to say you need to be able to hold it for a substantial amount of time to where your actually working it out.

IE: max hold for planche flat tuck = 30sec, and max hold for planche straddle = 5sec. I would continue training on the planche flat tuck for more time until the planche straddle time has gone up a bit.

The new BtGB book coming out soon goes over all this in great depth. :D

Patrick Van de Glind

Thanks stefanhinote,

Can you explain the formula a little more:

is maxhold=x, the GOAL time or the current MAX time you can hold it?

and as for planche next progression time, what do you recommend as the minimum time hold level before you move on?

you say: 5 second straddle planche is too short.. however if you do 20sets you have 60seconds of training..

Stefan Hinote
Thanks stefanhinote,

Can you explain the formula a little more:

is maxhold=x, the GOAL time or the current MAX time you can hold it?

and as for planche next progression time, what do you recommend as the minimum time hold level before you move on?

you say: 5 second straddle planche is too short.. however if you do 20sets you have 60seconds of training..

The max hold time is the maximum amount of time you can currently hold the position.

The reason I was vague with the latter question is I'm not the most qualified to be giving an exact answer. :lol:

progression 2

5seconds max hold, so 5/2=2.5seconds 60seconds/2.5seconds=24sets-----> 24x2.5s doesn't sound very good to me.

Working the prior progression (progression 1) to less sets, but more time sounds more beneficial to me.

4x15sec ---> 2x30sec

Then trying Progression 2 again, hopefully having a higher max hold time, and then start training it.