Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Developing Handstand Push Up Rom

aquapura1

Hi I'm currently doing doing negatives reps in the progression of handstand push ups. I've gotten to the stage where I can do 3 sets of 5 reps each. I notice the next exercise in the progression is the upward cycle of the handstand push-up. I'm struggling with this a little bit... do you need to master balancing a handstand before you can complete this exercise. I'm finding the upwards ROM quite difficult. Do negatives build enough strength to start helping with this upwards ROM? Am i supposed to go straight into a headstand and push up as hard as i can until failure?

If i start performing static holds at different heights in the handstand position will this help the upwards ROM?

Any tips would be great!

Thanks

Stefan Hinote

Presuming you've done HeSPU box. Against the wall go from a headstand up to a handstand. You can also try spending more time in handstands against the wall (if you can't do free hs), and do some variation with bent-arm handstands.

Bryan Wheelock

You should try to do partial HeSPU.

Stack some books up and lower you head to that level.

Remove a book when the movement gets easy.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Sweet thanks everyone. I have put bricks under my head to gauge the height. BigB thanks for the suggestion!! This is giving me an incremental increase and made everything a lot easier!!

Cheers,

Phil