Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Knee Pain And Squats/running.

Tavis G

Hey guys. I had no idea where to put this post. I have osgood-schlautters disease(search it on google, kinda hard to explain). Anyway i hurt it again during bball practice, and now i cant even run or squat because of the immense pain. My bball season has weeks left and i don't want to lose my strength. Do you guys have any idea how to rehab these ligaments and tendons? It needs to feel better by saturday because my bball team needs me. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Honestly im not saying its a fall to the ground pain. It just feels like a very sharp pain. I have had problens since seventh grade then into eigth, after that i had no problems whatsoever. I feel it heals quickly but not soon enough. Don't pistol aquats strenghten the ligaments and tendons?

Tavis,

You may simply be suffering from Osgood-Schlautter due to being in the peak of your physical growth resulting from puberty. I had Osgood-Schlautter in high school, and it just disappeared over time as my body finished up with puberty. I rested it, knowing that there was nothing I could do apart from surgery. Soon enough, I was back to sports with no problem. Actually, most Osgood cases solve themselves, so this is probably a matter of time for you if you decided to be smart about this.

Pistol squats are indeed a strength movement, but why would you considering performing them if squats hurt you? That is counter-productive. Stay away. Sharp pain is still pain. Pain is your body's way of telling you, "Stop! Something's f-ed up!"

Again, time usually solves Osgood-Schlautter. The basketball game isn't everything. Take care of your body first. Rest, rehab, and notify your Coach you won't be playing in the game. Even if your team needs you...they'll get over it. If you choose to play, then I'll look foward to your future post within the mobility sub-forum detailing your new knee injuries.

• Upvote 2

Yeah i had grown something like 4 inches in 3 weeks a while back and still getting bigger. Around what age did your knees started getting better? I'm 15 and been no problem for 2 years but recently i did something. I knew it would heal with time but I'm mad because I'm in the only competitive sports most likely in my whole life and i don't want to sit out with injury. I know it is hard but i will try to give a while.

Well, It's a little hard to recall now. Lets see...my case started when I was in the 7th grade due to growing something like 4 inches. And, like you, the pain and swelling went away for sometime and then reoccured around ninth grade, which was unfortunate because, like you again, I was in a leg intensive sport so it sucked major ballons. It's hard to tell when exactly it completely disappeared because 10th grade through 11th grade I was pretty much completely inactive for those 2 years so I never paid much attention to the knee bumps or swelling etc.. When I started exercising again in the summer before 12th grade it was completely healed. So, it took me anywhere from 3-5 years to get rid of it, and in the process I grew to 6'1" from about 5'4"

I know that really sucks to read, but there's nothing you can do about your specific case besides surgery. That's just unnecessary if you practice patience to wait for puberty to finish. Well, hopefully you won't have this as an adult, and that's rare too so not much to be concerned about.

No reason to be mad. You can't change your body so why drag yourself down even further by getting angry? If anything, perhaps there are some valuable lessons to take away from these kinds of experiences. Plus, 3-5 years isn't so bad. Life begins after high school anyways ;)

Tavis, do not play through pain, you are not a pro. Shaq had the same disease in his teens ( If i remember well), however he played some seasons after that:) Patience is one of the best remedies for injury.

Larry Roseman

Shak gave good advice. I had this also. They gave me a few cortisone shots and put me in the 'special' gym program,

which was not much fun. It is a chronic inflammation -  you can try the standard treatments like ice, for temporary relief at least. 

Thanks. Yeah this is reoccuring in 10th grade. I will take the time for it to heal. Thanks guys.

Yep, recent growth in combination with OGS and the pounding impacts of basketball are the culprits.

Quick fixes would be rest, compression, icing.

Do this a lot. It's not exactly fun...at all. Try for 3-5 minutes. Generally by 5 I need to take them off as it tends to hurt like hell by that time (good hurt).

You can do this with a rubber bike tube that is cut open. New ones cost about 5-7 dollars. A bike store might actually have deflated ones they'll give you. A lot of lifters do this pre lifting with their knees too.

http://www.mobilitywod.com/2012/04/banish-your-elbow-pain-you-dont-really-play-golf-or-tennis-do-you.html

• Upvote 1

Jacob Primeaux

Anytime there's chronic inflamation you might also look into your diet. The typical western diet is bad enough for dealing with inflamation, but its also possible you have some particular food related sensitivity. Getting off cow dairy when I was in highschool seemed to help me. I'm not at all saying that's your problem, but examining your diet is never a bad idea for an athlete.

Yeah. I recently got back into drinking milk before this happened. That could be the prob. Thanks

• 2 months later...
Sonya McNeely

OP,

I'm curious if you experimented with the removal of dairy. And, if so, what are your results?

Coach Sommer

As has already been noted, Osgood-Schlautter is a condition that occurs during pubescent growth.  There is no cure; other than to finish growing.  :)

OGS can quite painful and also quite sporadic in terms of when and how intense the flare ups are.  One day can be fine and the next will be too painful to workout and the next fine again.

The best treatment is to pay attention.  On days when you knees are tender; do less leg related activity or even none at all.  Do not attempt to work through the pain as this will only serve to intensify the pain and increase how often you have a flare up.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

• Upvote 3

Joshua Naterman

What Coach said is exactly what I did.

Deep massage, like foam rolling, for the quads can help sometimes, but you really do have to wait for the growth spurt to stop. Mine was bad for a few months and then on and off for ~2-3 years.

You will be ok, just don't push the weights too heavy and don't train through the pain.

Coach's advice is the best advice on this one. Every day can be different. Try to keep in mind that he's been working with athletes your age for a looooooong time, and knows what to do.

• 2 weeks later...