Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

New Member (Weightlifer) Seeking Help On How To Increase Flexibility In The Lower Body And Issues With Shoulder Flexibility.

dun08032863

Hey guys,

I recently started some stretching to try to increase my flexibility, I train for strength and of course do a lot of weightlifting.

Can anyone reccomend a good beginners routine for the lower body, espicially the lower back and hamstrings. Progressions will also be helpfull.

I have flexibility issues in my shoulders, I have injured them a few times and have suffered a bicep tendon tear in the shoulder, I have succesfully rehabbed this injury but I still have flexibility issues, mainly down to the fact that I have type 3 hooked acromiums and there is not a lot of space in my shoulder for the roator cuff muscles, so i struggled with subacromial impingement in the past and will contine to do so if I do not keep on top of my posture.

I do shoulder dislocations with a theraband, but always get a cracking noise in my left shoulder, probably down to the fact that there is a hole in my bicep tendon within the joint. I am often scared to work on mobility with my shoulder because of the fear of irritiating my RC'S which have given me trouble, Putting my left hand behind my back is difficult and very stiff, I would love to regain full ROM in it again.

cheers

PS. Great forum, some very interesting articles on here.

Robert Simcox

I think checking out Kelly Starrett's "mobility wod" videos would be an excellent place to start, there's tons of great information that has helped me tremendously. I would just say to be careful about your shoulder though, of course don't do anything that causes discomfort or excessive clicking or popping.

Mike Chomitsch

Hey,

Check out Kit Laughlin's stretches on youtube. Kit will be presenting at the upcoming seminars and he, like Coach Sommer, is a veritiable wealth of knowledge.

I was so impressed by Kit and his stretches that we hosted him at our gym. Needless to say, I was even more impressed!

You can find all these stretches on Kit's youtube page - http://www.youtube.com/user/KitLaughlin. He gives great instruction and be sure to heed those instructions!

I strongly suggest the hip flexor stretch, which I think Kit said was the single most important stretch for anyone (face it, even if we're highly active, we simply sit too much). The partner assisted versions are more effective than the solo version. Trust me, this stretch will feel like a stretch! It's both horrible and horrible effective.

Then choose some of the other leg and low back stretches (you'll be amazed how the hip flexor stretch can help your low back).

As for your shoulder, there are a number of stretches there, but there is also 'Yuri's mobility sequence'. (Yuri is a tremendous handbalancer  who attends the GB seminars. Obviously, he needs strong, supple shoulders for that stuff.) It's a phenomenal shoulder mobility routine and includes a stretch for the long head biceps tendon. That one gave me immediate relief for my own shoulder issues.

As for the subtler details of your shoulder issue, I don't know enough to speak to your hook 3 condition, but as Robby S said, work on it carefully. Err on the side of caution and stay away from pain. If you can't relax while stretching, ease off. You MUST relax for the stretch to be effective. 

Besides, you can always redo a stretch with a little more intensity the second time, but if you go too hard off the bat, you could injure yourself.

Proceed cautiously but work at it. Working your mobility in an intelligent and cautious manner should be beneficial, not hurtful. This approach should put your fear of RC injury to rest.