Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Please Critique My Mobility Routine For Opening Up My Shoulders

Joshua Slocum

Joshua Slocum

I'm currently working on developing my shoulder mobility so that I can open them up and perform a 'good' handstand. I have a common handstand problem: my shoulder angle is closed, my chest sticks out, and my back is arched. I was hoping that someone with experience in this area could comment on my plan:

3x/week:

10 shoulder circles on each arm with resistance bands (wrap the band against a pole; stand facing the pole, raise your arm above your head, and slowly move your hand in small circles, trying to maximize shoulder flexion on one end of the circle)

10 shoulder presses (kick into a handstand with someone to spot for balance. Allow your shoulders to close and your chest to sag, then press your chest in and your shoulders open; the spotter should provide enough assistance for you to reach the proper position.)

60s wall handstand with chest to the wall, inching hands in as close as possible

60s ring handstand, using the cables for balance, with shoulders maximally opened. 

This is supplemented by the static stretching I already do, which includes 2-3 minutes a day of deeply stretching shoulder flexion.

Does this seem reasonable? Is there any obvious way to improve this plan? I've had poor shoulder position in my handstand for years and I'm eager to begin correcting it. Thanks in advance for any advice. 

It seems reasonable, but I don't think I would use the rings handstand for opening the shoulders. I'd rather do more handstands facing the wall, and I'd include wall slides. Also, I'd do it a bit more often than 3 times a week if it's an option.

• Upvote 1

Joshua Slocum
It seems reasonable, but I don't think I would use the rings handstand for opening the shoulders. I'd rather do more handstands facing the wall, and I'd include wall slides. Also, I'd do it a bit more often than 3 times a week if it's an option.

My motivation behind practicing the position in a rings handstand is to build up stability in that position. Since I'd like to fix both my floor and rings handstands, it seems like a good idea to practice both. 

Also, I do 10 wall slides every day as part of my stretching routine. 

Good then! :) For the rings HS, I think you'll get most of the benefits once you can open your shoulders a lot more. I guess it depends on how much time you put into each of them. Per example, if you already practice your wall facing handstands as much as you can and do some ring handstands, it's good. But if you're cutting some of the wall handstands for doing ring handstands, then I think your time would be better spent with the wall handstands than with the rings handstands. Provided that you can only do so much wall handstands in one training before you get tired, it's probably not a big deal.

Joshua Slocum

Currently I can open my shoulder quite a bit. The principle issue I have is keeping it there. E.g. in the rings stand I can get into the correct position, but it takes a lot of effort to stay there (and assistance from the straps to maintain balance).